Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can WD-40 help cure arthritis?  (Read 68777 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can WD-40 help cure arthritis?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
I know someone who swears by it and I've read the article, but I'm still not convinced that it's a goodidea.  Mainly because i don't want my knee to go up in flames.  I am kind of tempted just to give it a go soemtimes though, just to see if it works.  its gotta be better than cortisone.

Has anyone here ever tried it? Did it work?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
I started this thread a while back after reading a newspaper article about WD-40 and would avoid using it with all the chemicals used in it, might be no good for the skin.

Nick :) {2010} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »
No doubt about it, I'd have to be pretty desparate to resort to using it.  what would it actually do to the skin anway?  Surely if someone is in screaming agony day and night and they can't have a tkr because the docs all say their 20 years too young then they might as well risk it because a red rash and a bit of itching can't be worse than the living Hell that is profound osteoarthritis.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
WD40 is HIGHLY Flammable, even once dry. It contains Kerosene which is listed on the warning label as Petroleum Distillates. Kerosene is used as a solvent (roughly 80%) in WD40 ~ the reason it is soooo good at removing rust.  Also, the vapors (it Stinks) of WD40 can be dangerous if inhaled in large quantities and they don't dissipate quickly  (again it contains petrochemicals - not good for your skin!).   

Do you really want to rub Kerosene into your skin?  Not too bright if you ask me!
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »
I did say you'd have to be desparate didn't I?

There must be someone on these forums who has experience of using it.

As I said before I met someone who swears by it but this guys was in bad shape.  I knew him for a year and never ocne saw him without crutches.

Offline Uberiffic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Okay, I know this post is rather old, but just the same, I believe it warrants a reply.

After searching for a definitive answer to this question, I was, and still am, wondering how it could be possible that nobody has posted any first hand experience.  Well, I am going to change that.

I first heard of this folk tale from a friend after I had suffered an injury from attempting to move a very heavy table from one location to another.  While doing so, my hands started loosing grip, and I was left with two choices... drop the table or rest it on my knees while in a squatting position.  I chose the latter.  No immediate problem arose with this decision, and I re-adjusted my grip and finished the move.  The next day, I woke to ecrutiating pain in my legs.  This was to the point of not being able to walk, and I had to crawl from one place to another.  Even crawling was an extremely painful experience.

When my friend told me about using WD-40 to alleiviate the pain, I simply thought he was setting me up for a joke, and I was waiting patiently for the punch line.  Mind you, I was not so patient because of the pain.  He simply told me that it was not a joke, and stated it was worth a shot.  Knowing that I have worked with WD-40 many times in the past, and also that there was no immediate danger of trying, I decided to attempt this theory.  I generously sprayed on the WD-40 and massaged it onto the affected area.  After approximately 10 minutes, I stood up and walked to get a cup of coffee.  I was absolutley amazed at the fact that almost all of the pain had dissapated!

I have recommended this treatment to other friend ailing from such things as severe wrist pain, lower back pain, and shoulder pain... and all of them have stated that it did temporarily help quite a bit. Unfortunatley, I don't believe this would work so well for chronic pain, because the long term effects of using a petroleum based chemical may outweigh the temporary relief of said chronic pain.  However, I do know it works wonders for temporary pain, and am astonished that anyone would be concerned about the possibility of dry skin when the alternative is dealing with excrutiating pain.  In addition, if dry skin is a worry, simply apply the WD-40, massage it in, let it take effect, then simply wash it off with soap and water and apply skin lotion.

I have also heard that doctors have stated three things they believe is the reason why people say WD-40 works, yet, I have also noticed that NONE of these doctors have actually tried this, nor have done any legitimate research to back their statements.  One stated that it is the actual massaging action that causes the pain to diminish.  If this is the case with my scenerio, then I must have magic fingers!  And I can further disprove this theory with the addition of this... "Don't you think I tried that BEFORE I even used the WD-40?!?!  Next was a doctor stating it may be the cooling sensation of the propellent that rids the pain.  This too is absurd in my opinion.  The temperature change from the dischard of WD-40 is no more than that of a cool breeze on wet skin.  Last was the worst of all... Placebo.  I know the power of suggestion can be VERY strong, but keep in mind that I actually did not believe this would work.  I had zero confidence.  This, by itself, should disprove the placebo theory. 

Now, do I know why and how WD-40 works to alleviate temporary muscle/joint pain?  My answer is simple, no.  Also, some may ask why the company who makes WD-40 do not research medical applications for this product.  I believe it is simple.  The red tape is miles long, and like I stated before... it is a petroleum based product.  It would be a legal nightmare for them if just one person had an allergic reaction, or worse yet, if it was proven to be a contributing factor to a connected case of diagnosed cancer.  Simply put, the legal and moral ramifications would far outweigh the monitary gain.

So, with this said.  I do not recommend or advocate using WD-40 for pain relief in any way, shape, or form.  I am merely stating facts from my own personal experience, of which I have personally taken a risk and accept full responsibility for my own actions to myself.

I hope this has helped definitively answer the question of this thread.

support