Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Op to correct non-union after HTO - 4 mths post-op  (Read 4049 times)

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
Op to correct non-union after HTO - 4 mths post-op
« on: July 16, 2003, 07:19:30 PM »
I am recovering from surgery I had on Mar. 14. My surgery was to correct a non-union I had, from a HTO done in Oct. 2001.

An external fixator was bolted to my tibia with four 1/4'' bolts. At the top of the fixator four stainless steel wires about 1/8'' pass through my knee. They are secured at the top of the fixator to support it.

At my OS appointment yesterday they took x-rays to see how much bone had filled in. They discovered one of my stainless steel wires had broken inside my knee.

With a pliers the doctor pulled out 1 piece of the wire and then pounded the other half of the wire back through my knee and made a new hole coming out the other side. It took him about 15 or 20 hammer blows to get it through and I shuddered with each blow. He then secured each end of the wire. As the wire was about to poke it's way through my skin he gave me a shot of novocaine, but I think most of it ran out of the old hole in my leg and didn't seem to do anything.

Then they tightened the threaded rods on the fixator until the wires going through my knee were bowed.

Sorry this probably long and confusing, but it helps me to just write it. Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is surviving their own knee trials. Larry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 03:45:04 AM by admin »
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

SL99

Re: tough OS visit
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 07:26:44 PM »
Yikes Larry - I was cringing just reading that! I'm so sorry that you had to go thrugh all that at your appouintment and really hope that your knee isn't feeling too sore now.

When do you have to go back to the OS again? Do you know when the fixator will be coming off at all? I do hope that this set back with the wires hasn't hampered your recovery too much and that things will go smoothly and successfully form now on.

Take care and keep us posted with your progress!

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 02:24:07 AM »
Wow, that sounds grueling. I would have been screaming, I'm sure. And it's too bad that the wire had broken in the first place. Why did that happen? Will it set your recovery back a bit? I don't blame you for wanting to get share your story. I think I'd feel it again every time I closed my eyes! Hope everything goes smoothly from here.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 03:54:15 AM »
Oh Larry! That's horrible, how is your pain now? I bet it's still bad, I wish I could help you somehow, (hugs). Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 04:54:38 AM »
Hi Larry

Just wanted to send you my regards for your set back :'(

I know that must have been horrible and excrutiating pain!! I hope that you are doing better now

Keep us all posted on how you are doing and when you get the fixator out!

Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline JenJen03

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 07:46:22 AM »
I am really sorry ot haer about that, i hope u are feeling better soon!

~Jen
18 years old -- bi-lateral (both knees) LR on  8/8/02, Synvisc injections in May of 04  and still in major pain.

Offline Erin

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 07:48:43 AM »
Hey Larry, Im sorry that happend. That sound absolutely horrible. Lets hope things go better now.
Erin
7 years left knee pain/popping/giving out
10-20-00 L.knee surgery to tighten knee cap
2 years of right knee pain
9-13-02 Sprained right ankle
6-9-03 Brostrom-gould surgery on right ankle

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 07:10:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I don't know why that wire broke or how long it has been broken. They took more x-rays then usual at my latest visit, trying to get a good view of how much bone had grown in, and that is when they discovered the wire was broken.

I know those wires are under alot of pressure and at my OS visit on Tues. they tightened the threaded rods on my fixator more to try to force the broken ends of my tibia together, so now they are more likely than ever to break again.

My doctor said maybe my fixator can be removed in 6 wks. but he said that is a guess. I don't think that broken wire is going to slow down my recovery, it just made the fixator less stable with 3 wires supporting it instead of 4.

There does seem to be a problem with my bones healing though. This surgery was necessary because my bones didn't heal after my HTO in 10/01. I've been lucky enough to never have broken a bone before so I don't know if I have a bone healing problem.

Although my doctor acts like everything is OK I remember things he and his nurse said earlier and I know they thought my leg would be more healed then it is by now and I would be off cruthes. His nurse told me yesterday she thought something was going on with me undiagnosed because of the extreme pain problems being off nsaids all this time and the lack of more bone growth.

I hope things get better because I am supposed to have a HTO on my other leg when this is healed. I hope that surgery heals normally.
My next OS visit is on Thurs. July 24. I would like to ask my doctor more questions about my situation, but he seems to overly optomistic and doesn't seem to want to level with me. Well thats all for now, take care everyone. Larry :)
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 10:40:46 PM »
Larry:

I would ask him straight out if there is a problem with your bones healing and if it is taking longer than he thought it should after this last surgery. Then I would ask him what you can do to help the healing along. Perhaps there is some medication or some special treatment to increase the blood flow to that area. I have usually found that doctors only give you as much information as you specifically ask for. If you ask general questions, they will give general answers. But if you have specific questions and act like you have some knowledge about the subject, they will give more detailed answers. Take a written list of questions so you don't forget anything you want to ask.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline homelands

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 06:03:32 AM »
What an awful thing to have done, I would have been unconcious without any anesthaesia. You must ask your OS some direct questions, if he doesnt know why you haven't healed what is he doing to find out. Even doctors need to ask for help sometimes, he must have colleages or contacts.

Good luck I hope the pain settles soon