Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07  (Read 10914 times)

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
I DITCHED THE CRUTCHES!  ;D

Finally, I am off my last crutch. I still walk with a noticable limp and at a snails pace but I'm happy to be free from depending on the crutch.

Monday I will start hydrotherapy, my PT says this will help me return to walking with a normal gait. I go back to see Dr. Cole in February for my three month post op appointment... I hope to be walking normal by then!

We were billed a significant amount of money for the use of the Ice machine after my surgery. We were shocked to see the bill! We had everything pre-approved before my opperation but apparently that didnt work...we are in the process of appeals yet again!
-Lateral Release (R Knee) 1998
-Lateral Release (L Knee) 2004
-Biopsy for ACI (L Knee) 2005
-Microfracture (L Knee) 10/2006
-ACI/Distal Realignment[AMZ] (L Knee) 11/14/2007
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »
10 Weeks Post Op: Still walking with a limp, but it is getting better! Unfortunately I am hitting about 80 degrees flexion max... I feel like I should be waaaaaaay farther than this by now, but pain behind my knee cap has been limiting me. I hope to make significant improvements before I see Dr. Cole in Feb.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »
MENISCUS TEAR?!?!!?

I slipped on the ice last week and have a potential medial meniscus tear in my left knee... the one I just had ACI/AMZ on. My knee keeps making clicking noises when I walk, it has locked up a few times and has put me in serious pain when it does that. I keep getting sharp/deep pains in my knee when I try to stand up. All of these pains are no where near my ACI site and are making me nervous. I am experiencing deep aching pain on the medial side of my knee.

My PT is having me wait a few days to see if it keeps acting up before we consider an MRI.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
Good News! The meniscus isn't torn and my joint line discomfort has gone away.

My ACI was video taped for research and I just received the video! I was a little emotional watching the video of my own surgery! I have watched ACI on other patients but when you see them actually working on your knee its much different!

My rehab is coming along slowly, I don't feel like I have made many progressions lately but my pain is becoming less and less.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »
Glad to hear that your meniscus is not torn.  Are you still limping at this point or do you have a normal gait?  What about swelling?  I was just wondering.  You are only a couple of weeks behind me in recovery.  I am still limping and have persistent swelling.   
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 08:00:44 PM »
Hey Casey,

I do notice some swelling in my knee however it has stopped really getting huge after being on it a lot. I do not walk with a noticable limp and have been getting stopped by professors in the hallway becuase they have noticed how well I am walking! (that always makes you feel good!). My PT can still see a slight difference...I'm flexing my foot more so than on my good side when I walk.

Have you been walking in an aquaciser? (I'm sure they have many names, but a treadmill under water is what it is) I really believe the aquaciser has made a HUGE difference in my gait. I started walking in it at about 8 weeks post op and continue to walk in it for 15-18 minutes, three times a week.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »
I am not using an aquacisor.  I did try a session of pool therapy, but I don't believe my PT place has an aquacisor.  That is great that others are noticing an improvement in your walking.  I have started to get comments from my co-workers that I am walking good and I agree it does feel good to get those comments.  I still have a bit of a limp though.  Much improved from two months ago, but still lingering on. 
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
I am almost 5 months post-op. The time really flies!

Although I am making some progress, Physical Therapy has been a challenge for me. I feel like I might need to switch therapists, my rehab has become stale. My PT leaves the room and no one supervises my  exercises. On top of feeling neglected, the PT doesnt have a list of exercises that I do and usually pulls them out of no where, neglecting important exercises. I find myself reminding him what I usually do.  I know this is not normal, I have had PT after all 5 of my knee surgeries and it has never been like this. Also, I am a pre-Physical Therapy student and would like to believe I have a base knowledge of normal progression. I have talked to other PT's about this and they agree that I am not being cared for the way I need to.

My concern is that if my PT is lacking now it will only push my full recovery back further! Has anyone else had problems with their therapists?
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 02:05:47 AM »
Hello, I would talk to your OS about your problems with your PT.  You should get the attention you deserve and pay for!  It is important with your surgery that you do everything you are suppose to and get the proper strengthening in.  Have you tried talking to your PT about your concerns?  I know sometimes it is hard to confront them about this stuff, but if you ultimately feel like they could do a good job and understand your surgery, then maybe you should try it.  It is hard to find a PT that understands your surgery and knows exactly what to do despite a protocol sheet.  My mistake was to go to my original Pre Op PT who didn't know much about my surgery.  I went back to him PO, and he understood the surgery, but didn't understand how sensitive the pain I was having was.  He just kept pushing me through the most painful exercises.  So I told my OS and now he transferred me to his PT...where I have been for 6 weeks with still not much more improvement on pain.  I know they understand it all though b/c they take out painful exercises to the point there aren't many left to do, but I get some done that will benefit me despite that.  I know they are good.  Anyway, sorry to go on about my experience...I didn't have ACI though!!  Good luck with it!! Talk to your OS if you are concerned!

Other than that, how is your recovery going?  I briefly read through your posts from beginning to end.  I hope all is well!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

dileigh

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 04:41:33 AM »
I would talk to the OS too, there is a specific protocol for the ACI, and that really needs to be followed.

Diana

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
Hi,
I am almost 6 months post op now and I am still in therapy.  I do most of my exercises on my own when I am at therapy.  My PT taught them to me and once he felt that I had them down, he let me do them on my own.  I also feel like my therapy has become stale, but we are in that stage of the protcol where I think we just need to plug away and work on building muscle even if that means the same exercises over and over.  At times I feel like my therapy is neglected because I used to get a lot more attention from my PT than I do know, but at the same time I am ok doing my exercises without him watching my every move.  I do know that he is available to ask questions to and I do that when I need to.  I do the same stuff over and over again with a little tweaking here and there with weights or difficulty of the exercise.  My PT lets me up the weights on my exercises as I feel comfortable.  He does spend time with me to work on my my ROM.  If I had full ROM, I think my PT would release me to work on my own.  He has told me that as some point it comes down to me "just doing the exercises" and that there is only so much he can do for me.  If you feel that you have learned the exercises and can do them on your own and you have full ROM, maybe you could discuss with your OS if you even need to have formal therapy any more.  As soon as I get my ROM back, I think my PT will release me to do therapy on my own and maybe check in with him once or twice a month just to be monitored and see if my exercise program should be tweaked.  Right now, I do two days of formal therapy and one day on my own at the gym.  However, if you feel that you are not getting the attention that you need or deserve, then I would by all means switch PT's.  You need to have a PT that you trust and that is looking out for your well being.  I think that a PT should be available to ask questions to and should be monitoring your progress.  And if he is not following the protocol, I say ditch him.     
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! Miraculously my PT has been absolutely amazing this week. He has been very helpful and back to his old self again! I don't know if he was just going though a stale state but this week has been great.

I have been experiencing some medial joint line discomfort and he helped me realize my Pumas (which I love dearly) were the reason my knee was hurting. The puma shoes I've been wearing do not have any additional support on the medial side and I was pronating too much when walking. He referred me to a store that sells top of the line running shoes. After walking in the new shoes for just a few minutes I noticed a HUGE difference. I will never buy cheap tennis shoes again!

Another note, the UNI Marching Band Director is begging me to return for a 5th season  twirling with the band. I consulted my doctor and he said  "Absolutely, you can twirl! You just can't run or jump!" HA! Has anyone seen a college half time? That's what the twirler does, runs and jumps across the field weaving in and out of the band! I'm not sure if I'll make a come back or not. If I do I will definitely have to tone down my performance and be more stationary during the pre-game and half-time shows.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
Be careful trying to get back into sports too fast!!  I am glad your PT has improved this week!!  Good shoes are very very important!!  Good luck!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
Almost 6 months post op. My PT has started getting me back into sport specific movements which is great! I've started practicing spinning and pushing off for bigger baton tricks.

Tomorrow I get to attempt to RUN in the aquaciser!!!! It will be nice to finally get some cardio in and try and break a sweat! It seems like forever since I have had a good workout and I look forward to the challenge, we'll see how the knee likes it!

I go for my 6 month post op appointment in May and look forward to hearing what the Doctor has to say!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
I just realized how to post pictures... it took me a few years but I finally got it figured out :P

Here are my X Rays!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

support