Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07  (Read 10913 times)

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »
I am having some problems with my CPM machine lately. For some reason it is really irritating my heel , I am not sure if it is because my ankle and foot are so swellon or what. I have been putting an ice pack under my heel while in the CPM and that seems to help a little bit. It gets to the point where I just have to get out of the CPM becuase my heel is so irritated. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Besides the CPM issues I have been doing really well. I've been getting some good sleep and my pain has been very manageable.
-Lateral Release (R Knee) 1998
-Lateral Release (L Knee) 2004
-Biopsy for ACI (L Knee) 2005
-Microfracture (L Knee) 10/2006
-ACI/Distal Realignment[AMZ] (L Knee) 11/14/2007
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline OldExTriGuy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:54 PM »
Uni,

I'm glad you are doing well and hopefully the holidays provide a bit of diversion from the monotony of rehab.  Couple of questions for you if you have time:

It looks like your microfracture failed - after the procedure was performed how long were you NWB and how long till you knew it did not work?

Did Dr. Cole perform the microfracture?

Thanks.
Torn ACL 1982
Meniscus removal 1987
Meniscus removal 1993
ACLR 2006

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »
Try some ankle pumps when you are not in the machine.  I had trouble with my heel hurting both with my microfracture and this time with my ACI in the middle of the night.  I would wake up with bad bain in my heel.  I found that if I moved my foot around and kept my leg elevated that helped and I also found that when lying in bed at night that if I let my foot dangle over the bed, that helped to.  I think it has something to do with the circulation to the foot, but I don't know. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
My microfracture was done by Dr. Cole. I was refered to Dr. Cole a few years ago for Microfracture and Distal Realignment. When I woke up from surgery I got some bad news, at that time he did not think Microfracture would fix my problem so he took a biopsy and said I needed to have ACI instead. The location of my defect (on my patella) was in a location that the Distal Realignment technique, at the time, would not provide me any relief so he did not do Distal Realignment at that time either.

It turned out that my insurance company refused to pay for the ACI procedure. We appealed the insurance company for a year, up to the corporate level of appeals and they kept denying it because they saw it as experimental. We then switched insurance companies and they would not pay for ACI either. As a last resort Dr. Cole did Microfracture, I went into the surgery knowing it might not work but telling myself that it would! I was able to bear as much weight as I could tolerate immediately following the Microfracture. The surgery was in October of last year and the expected full recovery is 4-6 months. I did Physical Therapy at college until May (6 months) and still had the horrible knife-like pain in the back of my patella. I moved home in the summer and did PT in my hometown until July when I went back to see Dr. Cole. At that time he concluded that the surgery had failed and ACI and Distal Realignment were my only option. Apparently there is a new technique for Distal Realignment where they angle the bone differently that would provide me with relief.  We again had to fight the insurance company and they continued to deny the surgery until September when I got the phone call that it was somehow approved! :)

As far as my foot goes, I have been trying to move it more and I think that is helping. The arch of my foot was extremely tight  at first but I've been pointing and flexing it a lot during the day and it is much looser now!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
I started having nightmares a few nights ago and I am assuming they are from the pain killers...   ??? ???

The first nightmare just freaked me out and woke me up. But the nightmare I had this morning was very intense. I woke my boyfriend up because of the sounds I was making while having the nightmare, then I screamed and woke myself up too. I was crying and panicing when I woke up and then when I told my boyfriend about it I was still hysterical.

Once I calmed down I was able to laugh about it.... the nightmare was about cats for crying out loud! :) But this is crazy! Has anyone else had problems with nightmares due to pain killers? Would it be beneficial for me to ask my doctor for a different perscription?
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 02:51:11 PM »
Hi,
Pain killers give me nightmares as well.  I have had several intense nightmares when using painkillers.  Sometimes my dreams are very disturbing and upsetting to me and other times they are just strange.  Sometimes they are so strange that they are funny later on, usually after I am done being upset over them.  I guess it depends on how much it bothers you as to if you should ask your doctor for a different prescription.   
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 07:55:05 PM »
One Week Post Op!

I finally made it to week one! Last night was the first night I slept all the way through, it was great to wake up and realize it wasn't the middle of the night! I have hardly been taking any pain killers, only one so far today. Good News: My doctor gave me a different perscription so hopefully I won't have any more nightmares :)  I am really surprised by my lack of pain, I thought I would be misserable for a long time.

I am curious to know if this lack of pain is just a temporary thing, how long was everyone else in pain after surgery? I'm assuming that once I get back to college and have to walk across campus my knee will flare up.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »
After about 10 days, I didn't need any more pain medication.  I would have some pain, but not enough to want to take anything.  at 6 months out, I don't have anything I'd call pain, but do have some stiffness.  If I really do more than usual (for example, I stood for 3 hours the other day at a Bruce Springsteen show), I will get some swelling, but this resolved quickly.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 03:39:23 AM »
2 Weeks Post-Op, Stitches Out!!!

Hey everyone! I'm back and school and luckily I have been able to get rides to all of my classes so far. I am definatly feeling sick and run down due to more activity.

I had X-Rays taken today... NOT FUN! The X-Ray Technician didn't seem to be very professional, I was shocked that she would just pick my leg up and move it without warning me or asking me if I was comfortable, I had to stop her a few times because of the positions she was putting my leg in.  After X-Rays I had my two stitches removed and the steri strips ripped off... WOW! Another complaint: the lady wasn't paying attention and she ripped off a strip that the stitch was attached to... that was soooooo Painful!! She kept pulling becuase she thought it was stuck on my skin, I politely pointed out it was stuck the the stitch! (What a dramatic Day!)

If you click on the link below you can see pictures of my knee and my sweet X-Rays!
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0aZtmrJyxcQ&notag=1
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:02 PM »
Three weeks have finally come and gone!

I am in little to no pain, I occasionally have some shooting pains in my knee and aches in my tibia. My pain is much better than I expected it to be at this point.

PT is pretty boring so far, I'm just doing electronic stimulation on my quad and some ankle exercises.

I see Dr. Cole on Dec 19th for my 1 month post op appointment.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 02:26:12 AM »
I made it through Week 5!

I saw Dr Cole in Chicago today for the first time since my surgery. So far everything is going great. I will be out of my brace on Christmas day! I ditch the crutches in 10-12 days. As of today I am 50% weight bearing.

Bad news: I will not be able to compete in the Miss Iowa Pageant this summer. My talent is baton twirling which requires a lot of dance moves, jumping, and tumbling. The pageant is 7 months post op and I knew Dr Cole would tell me I couldn't do it, but I just had to ask and hear the words for sure.

One week left on the CPM! I cannot wait to get rid of it!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
I just realized I haven't posted in a few weeks. I'm near the end of my 8th week and STILL trying to wean my way off the crutches. College Classes resume on Monday and it was my goal to be walking without a limp when I  return to campus... Oh well!

I have had intense pain behind my patella (where my defect was) and this has limited my range of motion... I was at 90 degrees and the past week I haven't been past 50 degrees. I talked to my surgeons PA and he isnt too concerned at this early stage. I will be relieved once this pain goes away and I can continue to recover as normal.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
Hi,
If it makes you feel any better, when I saw my OS at just a little over 6 weeks post-op, he told me that I was going to feel all kinds of weird things.  I had sharp pains at the time and neither he or his PA seemed concerned.  I also just recently emailed my OS as I am supposed to keep him updated on my progress in between visits and told him that I still occasionally have sharp pains...again he was not concerned.  He was more concerned with the difficulties that I am having with my ROM.  My OS told me to expect pain and not to expect to start to see improvements until around the 4-6 month mark.  Hope you feel better soon!

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! It's always difficult to tell which pains are normal and which pains mean that something is wrong! I must admit that this recovery is not as painful as I anticipated (which is great!).
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »
Uni,

The good thing is that you are over the hardest and most painful part.  Im at 6 months post op and I basically dont have any pain throughout the day just every now and then I will put pressure on the knee and I will get a slight sharp pain in the area where my defect was.  The last time I saw my OS he stated that they had recently updated the protocal saying that full impact sports @ nine months  :o :o :o.  This is good news because of my profession I have to be able to run, jump and put full pressure on my knee.  I hope everything is well with your recovery and good luck.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident