Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07  (Read 10911 times)

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
I will be having ACI and Distal Realignment on November 14th. I am really nervous for this surgery since from what I understand, it will be the most painful recovery I've been through. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes!
-Lateral Release (R Knee) 1998
-Lateral Release (L Knee) 2004
-Biopsy for ACI (L Knee) 2005
-Microfracture (L Knee) 10/2006
-ACI/Distal Realignment[AMZ] (L Knee) 11/14/2007
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
Re: ACI and Distal Realignment 11/14/07
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 01:18:43 AM »
hey Unitwirler,

Just remember that the pain meds are there to help you get through your recovery and they should be used if need be.  But otherwise good luck and keep use posted.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
Good luck!!!  I just had ACI and HTO on Oct. 22nd.  Please post how things go for you.  We will ony be about a month apart in our recoveries.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you that all goes well!!!!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:48:17 PM »
I just received a letter saying my insurance company will not pay for the use of a Continued Passive Motion machine after my surgery! Claiming its not medically necessary.

The insurance company made us pay for the CPM after my microfracture, we are hoping that there is some miscommunication since our doctor's office told us it had been pre-approved.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »
I had a TKR last Nov. and a MUA in April    Neither time did my insurance pay for one for me. They never flinched on anything else but for some reason the CPM was a no go. My OS tried twice both times. Seems tho that most do pay at least some for one. Go FIgure!!!
           CAROL

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Hi,
Sorry to hear that they won't pay for the cpm machine.  I don't know if this will help, but the person who set me up with my cpm machine told me that mine would only be paid for if it is considered a medical necessity. He said that I may have to have my OS send his notes to the insurance company to prove that it is medically necessary.   He said that when the OS writes his notes that he will put something in it about the need to continue use of the cpm machine and that would prove to the insurance company that it is a medical necessity.  Good luck.

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:47:14 PM »
Today is day 1 post op! I'm actually feeling quite well, the gameready ice machine is fantastic. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain a few times once the ice machine shut off, we got it turned back on I was much more comfortable.

Dr. Cole said my surgery could not have gone any better and it was much faster than he thought it would be.  He video tapped my operation for a research project and will be giving me a copy of the surgery, I thought that was pretty neat!

The downfall of the day was getting the IV of all things! The nurse tried three times and then had to have another nurse come assist her, my hand looks like a battle field :) I did not receive a nerve block in my leg after surgery because I apparently told them I was not in much pain when I was waking up...once I was really awake I was in excruciating pain! The three hour car ride home was no fun but I purchased a foam wedge to elevate my leg on (instead of pillows) and it was much easier to prop my leg up and it was quicker getting me in and out of the car without pillows going everywhere.

I start using the CPM today, we are still fighting the insurance to pay for it.

So far this has been easier than I expected, I will continue to update on my progress!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
I forgot to metion that Dr. Cole was able to do both surgeries through the same incision. They stiched the incision shut under the skin then glued it shut and put some steri strips across it ot keep it closed. When I got for my first appointment in two weeks, they will snip the ends of the stiches that are sticking out of my skin and then the rest will dissolve under the skin.

I think this should leave a very clean scar with no marks from staples or stitches along side of the incision.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great!!  Isn't the ice machine great?  I used mine consistently for almost 2 weeks and then on and off for one more week.  Now, I am just using ice packs.  I too had some pain when riding home in the car.  I had a 3 1/2 hour trip home and felt pain when going over bumps and what not.  I've been in the car since then and I don't have pain any more when riding in the car.  I hope things continue to go smoothly for you.  Keep us updated as to how you are doing!
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »
Night Number 2:

It's been very difficult to stay in some sort of sleeping pattern, right now its around 3:30am. I woke up at 2:00am to take pain killers and switch from the Ice machine into the CPM and have not been able to fall asleep again. I hope that within a few days I will develop a pattern of some sort and catch up on some much needed sleep.

I've been having difficulty speaking- my throat is very scratchy and my voice is weak, I think this is from the breathing tube during surgery as well as lack of sleep.

I look forward to changing the dressing on my knee tomorrow and getting my first peak at the incision!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
Hi,
I remember those sleepless nights.  I would wake up in the middle of the night because my back was hurting from having to sleep in one position all night.  I found that getting into the cpm machine would help and I would usually fall back asleep, although sometimes even that would not work.  Even now at three weeks out, I am getting limited sleep at night.  I think my body can only stand staying in one position for so long.  The good thing is that being off of work, I can sleep whenever I want.  My throat was also sore/scratchy for a day or two post op from being intubated during surgery.  Hope you are able to get some rest.  
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »
I was able to remove the surgical dressing today and was surprised at the size of the incision! I will measure it the next time I remove the brace and wraps. Today was a very difficult day. I was in a lot of pain and very uncomfortable throughout the day and only slept for a few hours.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
Great News! I was able to sleep for most of the night last night = ) I am feeling pretty good today and was even able to 'shower'. I have been catching up on some knitting and am feeling like I am starting to develop some sort of a pattern as far as sleeping goes.

I need to spend some quality time on the CPM machine today.  So far I have been getting all of my hours/day in (which is always hard to do). I had to get out of the machine in the middle of the night last night because my heel was very sensitive from resting in the foot holder for so long. I think I'll add some padding in the foot holder tonight and see if I can stay in the CPM a little longer.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 06:43:07 PM »
Glad to hear that you were able to get some sleep.  Do you have to wear a brace?
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »
Yes, I am in a full leg brace locked at 0 degrees extension and I am  Non-Weight Bearing for six weeks. In a few weeks I will be allowed 0-40 degrees flexion and eventually wean off the brace between weeks 6 and 8, I return to full weight bearing during that time as well.

Right now I take the brace off only when I am in the CPM Machine.

Today has been great as far as pain and sickness are concerned. I am spreading out the time in between taking pain killers which is helping me to fell less and less sick.

(Dr. Coles Rehab protocol's can be found at www.cartilagedoc.org)
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »
I am having some problems with my CPM machine lately. For some reason it is really irritating my heel , I am not sure if it is because my ankle and foot are so swellon or what. I have been putting an ice pack under my heel while in the CPM and that seems to help a little bit. It gets to the point where I just have to get out of the CPM becuase my heel is so irritated. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Besides the CPM issues I have been doing really well. I've been getting some good sleep and my pain has been very manageable.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline OldExTriGuy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:54 PM »
Uni,

I'm glad you are doing well and hopefully the holidays provide a bit of diversion from the monotony of rehab.  Couple of questions for you if you have time:

It looks like your microfracture failed - after the procedure was performed how long were you NWB and how long till you knew it did not work?

Did Dr. Cole perform the microfracture?

Thanks.
Torn ACL 1982
Meniscus removal 1987
Meniscus removal 1993
ACLR 2006

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »
Try some ankle pumps when you are not in the machine.  I had trouble with my heel hurting both with my microfracture and this time with my ACI in the middle of the night.  I would wake up with bad bain in my heel.  I found that if I moved my foot around and kept my leg elevated that helped and I also found that when lying in bed at night that if I let my foot dangle over the bed, that helped to.  I think it has something to do with the circulation to the foot, but I don't know. 
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
My microfracture was done by Dr. Cole. I was refered to Dr. Cole a few years ago for Microfracture and Distal Realignment. When I woke up from surgery I got some bad news, at that time he did not think Microfracture would fix my problem so he took a biopsy and said I needed to have ACI instead. The location of my defect (on my patella) was in a location that the Distal Realignment technique, at the time, would not provide me any relief so he did not do Distal Realignment at that time either.

It turned out that my insurance company refused to pay for the ACI procedure. We appealed the insurance company for a year, up to the corporate level of appeals and they kept denying it because they saw it as experimental. We then switched insurance companies and they would not pay for ACI either. As a last resort Dr. Cole did Microfracture, I went into the surgery knowing it might not work but telling myself that it would! I was able to bear as much weight as I could tolerate immediately following the Microfracture. The surgery was in October of last year and the expected full recovery is 4-6 months. I did Physical Therapy at college until May (6 months) and still had the horrible knife-like pain in the back of my patella. I moved home in the summer and did PT in my hometown until July when I went back to see Dr. Cole. At that time he concluded that the surgery had failed and ACI and Distal Realignment were my only option. Apparently there is a new technique for Distal Realignment where they angle the bone differently that would provide me with relief.  We again had to fight the insurance company and they continued to deny the surgery until September when I got the phone call that it was somehow approved! :)

As far as my foot goes, I have been trying to move it more and I think that is helping. The arch of my foot was extremely tight  at first but I've been pointing and flexing it a lot during the day and it is much looser now!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
I started having nightmares a few nights ago and I am assuming they are from the pain killers...   ??? ???

The first nightmare just freaked me out and woke me up. But the nightmare I had this morning was very intense. I woke my boyfriend up because of the sounds I was making while having the nightmare, then I screamed and woke myself up too. I was crying and panicing when I woke up and then when I told my boyfriend about it I was still hysterical.

Once I calmed down I was able to laugh about it.... the nightmare was about cats for crying out loud! :) But this is crazy! Has anyone else had problems with nightmares due to pain killers? Would it be beneficial for me to ask my doctor for a different perscription?
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 02:51:11 PM »
Hi,
Pain killers give me nightmares as well.  I have had several intense nightmares when using painkillers.  Sometimes my dreams are very disturbing and upsetting to me and other times they are just strange.  Sometimes they are so strange that they are funny later on, usually after I am done being upset over them.  I guess it depends on how much it bothers you as to if you should ask your doctor for a different prescription.   
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 07:55:05 PM »
One Week Post Op!

I finally made it to week one! Last night was the first night I slept all the way through, it was great to wake up and realize it wasn't the middle of the night! I have hardly been taking any pain killers, only one so far today. Good News: My doctor gave me a different perscription so hopefully I won't have any more nightmares :)  I am really surprised by my lack of pain, I thought I would be misserable for a long time.

I am curious to know if this lack of pain is just a temporary thing, how long was everyone else in pain after surgery? I'm assuming that once I get back to college and have to walk across campus my knee will flare up.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »
After about 10 days, I didn't need any more pain medication.  I would have some pain, but not enough to want to take anything.  at 6 months out, I don't have anything I'd call pain, but do have some stiffness.  If I really do more than usual (for example, I stood for 3 hours the other day at a Bruce Springsteen show), I will get some swelling, but this resolved quickly.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 03:39:23 AM »
2 Weeks Post-Op, Stitches Out!!!

Hey everyone! I'm back and school and luckily I have been able to get rides to all of my classes so far. I am definatly feeling sick and run down due to more activity.

I had X-Rays taken today... NOT FUN! The X-Ray Technician didn't seem to be very professional, I was shocked that she would just pick my leg up and move it without warning me or asking me if I was comfortable, I had to stop her a few times because of the positions she was putting my leg in.  After X-Rays I had my two stitches removed and the steri strips ripped off... WOW! Another complaint: the lady wasn't paying attention and she ripped off a strip that the stitch was attached to... that was soooooo Painful!! She kept pulling becuase she thought it was stuck on my skin, I politely pointed out it was stuck the the stitch! (What a dramatic Day!)

If you click on the link below you can see pictures of my knee and my sweet X-Rays!
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0aZtmrJyxcQ&notag=1
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:02 PM »
Three weeks have finally come and gone!

I am in little to no pain, I occasionally have some shooting pains in my knee and aches in my tibia. My pain is much better than I expected it to be at this point.

PT is pretty boring so far, I'm just doing electronic stimulation on my quad and some ankle exercises.

I see Dr. Cole on Dec 19th for my 1 month post op appointment.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 02:26:12 AM »
I made it through Week 5!

I saw Dr Cole in Chicago today for the first time since my surgery. So far everything is going great. I will be out of my brace on Christmas day! I ditch the crutches in 10-12 days. As of today I am 50% weight bearing.

Bad news: I will not be able to compete in the Miss Iowa Pageant this summer. My talent is baton twirling which requires a lot of dance moves, jumping, and tumbling. The pageant is 7 months post op and I knew Dr Cole would tell me I couldn't do it, but I just had to ask and hear the words for sure.

One week left on the CPM! I cannot wait to get rid of it!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
I just realized I haven't posted in a few weeks. I'm near the end of my 8th week and STILL trying to wean my way off the crutches. College Classes resume on Monday and it was my goal to be walking without a limp when I  return to campus... Oh well!

I have had intense pain behind my patella (where my defect was) and this has limited my range of motion... I was at 90 degrees and the past week I haven't been past 50 degrees. I talked to my surgeons PA and he isnt too concerned at this early stage. I will be relieved once this pain goes away and I can continue to recover as normal.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
Hi,
If it makes you feel any better, when I saw my OS at just a little over 6 weeks post-op, he told me that I was going to feel all kinds of weird things.  I had sharp pains at the time and neither he or his PA seemed concerned.  I also just recently emailed my OS as I am supposed to keep him updated on my progress in between visits and told him that I still occasionally have sharp pains...again he was not concerned.  He was more concerned with the difficulties that I am having with my ROM.  My OS told me to expect pain and not to expect to start to see improvements until around the 4-6 month mark.  Hope you feel better soon!

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! It's always difficult to tell which pains are normal and which pains mean that something is wrong! I must admit that this recovery is not as painful as I anticipated (which is great!).
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »
Uni,

The good thing is that you are over the hardest and most painful part.  Im at 6 months post op and I basically dont have any pain throughout the day just every now and then I will put pressure on the knee and I will get a slight sharp pain in the area where my defect was.  The last time I saw my OS he stated that they had recently updated the protocal saying that full impact sports @ nine months  :o :o :o.  This is good news because of my profession I have to be able to run, jump and put full pressure on my knee.  I hope everything is well with your recovery and good luck.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
I DITCHED THE CRUTCHES!  ;D

Finally, I am off my last crutch. I still walk with a noticable limp and at a snails pace but I'm happy to be free from depending on the crutch.

Monday I will start hydrotherapy, my PT says this will help me return to walking with a normal gait. I go back to see Dr. Cole in February for my three month post op appointment... I hope to be walking normal by then!

We were billed a significant amount of money for the use of the Ice machine after my surgery. We were shocked to see the bill! We had everything pre-approved before my opperation but apparently that didnt work...we are in the process of appeals yet again!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »
10 Weeks Post Op: Still walking with a limp, but it is getting better! Unfortunately I am hitting about 80 degrees flexion max... I feel like I should be waaaaaaay farther than this by now, but pain behind my knee cap has been limiting me. I hope to make significant improvements before I see Dr. Cole in Feb.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »
MENISCUS TEAR?!?!!?

I slipped on the ice last week and have a potential medial meniscus tear in my left knee... the one I just had ACI/AMZ on. My knee keeps making clicking noises when I walk, it has locked up a few times and has put me in serious pain when it does that. I keep getting sharp/deep pains in my knee when I try to stand up. All of these pains are no where near my ACI site and are making me nervous. I am experiencing deep aching pain on the medial side of my knee.

My PT is having me wait a few days to see if it keeps acting up before we consider an MRI.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
Good News! The meniscus isn't torn and my joint line discomfort has gone away.

My ACI was video taped for research and I just received the video! I was a little emotional watching the video of my own surgery! I have watched ACI on other patients but when you see them actually working on your knee its much different!

My rehab is coming along slowly, I don't feel like I have made many progressions lately but my pain is becoming less and less.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »
Glad to hear that your meniscus is not torn.  Are you still limping at this point or do you have a normal gait?  What about swelling?  I was just wondering.  You are only a couple of weeks behind me in recovery.  I am still limping and have persistent swelling.   
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 08:00:44 PM »
Hey Casey,

I do notice some swelling in my knee however it has stopped really getting huge after being on it a lot. I do not walk with a noticable limp and have been getting stopped by professors in the hallway becuase they have noticed how well I am walking! (that always makes you feel good!). My PT can still see a slight difference...I'm flexing my foot more so than on my good side when I walk.

Have you been walking in an aquaciser? (I'm sure they have many names, but a treadmill under water is what it is) I really believe the aquaciser has made a HUGE difference in my gait. I started walking in it at about 8 weeks post op and continue to walk in it for 15-18 minutes, three times a week.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »
I am not using an aquacisor.  I did try a session of pool therapy, but I don't believe my PT place has an aquacisor.  That is great that others are noticing an improvement in your walking.  I have started to get comments from my co-workers that I am walking good and I agree it does feel good to get those comments.  I still have a bit of a limp though.  Much improved from two months ago, but still lingering on. 
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
I am almost 5 months post-op. The time really flies!

Although I am making some progress, Physical Therapy has been a challenge for me. I feel like I might need to switch therapists, my rehab has become stale. My PT leaves the room and no one supervises my  exercises. On top of feeling neglected, the PT doesnt have a list of exercises that I do and usually pulls them out of no where, neglecting important exercises. I find myself reminding him what I usually do.  I know this is not normal, I have had PT after all 5 of my knee surgeries and it has never been like this. Also, I am a pre-Physical Therapy student and would like to believe I have a base knowledge of normal progression. I have talked to other PT's about this and they agree that I am not being cared for the way I need to.

My concern is that if my PT is lacking now it will only push my full recovery back further! Has anyone else had problems with their therapists?
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 02:05:47 AM »
Hello, I would talk to your OS about your problems with your PT.  You should get the attention you deserve and pay for!  It is important with your surgery that you do everything you are suppose to and get the proper strengthening in.  Have you tried talking to your PT about your concerns?  I know sometimes it is hard to confront them about this stuff, but if you ultimately feel like they could do a good job and understand your surgery, then maybe you should try it.  It is hard to find a PT that understands your surgery and knows exactly what to do despite a protocol sheet.  My mistake was to go to my original Pre Op PT who didn't know much about my surgery.  I went back to him PO, and he understood the surgery, but didn't understand how sensitive the pain I was having was.  He just kept pushing me through the most painful exercises.  So I told my OS and now he transferred me to his PT...where I have been for 6 weeks with still not much more improvement on pain.  I know they understand it all though b/c they take out painful exercises to the point there aren't many left to do, but I get some done that will benefit me despite that.  I know they are good.  Anyway, sorry to go on about my experience...I didn't have ACI though!!  Good luck with it!! Talk to your OS if you are concerned!

Other than that, how is your recovery going?  I briefly read through your posts from beginning to end.  I hope all is well!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

dileigh

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 04:41:33 AM »
I would talk to the OS too, there is a specific protocol for the ACI, and that really needs to be followed.

Diana

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
Hi,
I am almost 6 months post op now and I am still in therapy.  I do most of my exercises on my own when I am at therapy.  My PT taught them to me and once he felt that I had them down, he let me do them on my own.  I also feel like my therapy has become stale, but we are in that stage of the protcol where I think we just need to plug away and work on building muscle even if that means the same exercises over and over.  At times I feel like my therapy is neglected because I used to get a lot more attention from my PT than I do know, but at the same time I am ok doing my exercises without him watching my every move.  I do know that he is available to ask questions to and I do that when I need to.  I do the same stuff over and over again with a little tweaking here and there with weights or difficulty of the exercise.  My PT lets me up the weights on my exercises as I feel comfortable.  He does spend time with me to work on my my ROM.  If I had full ROM, I think my PT would release me to work on my own.  He has told me that as some point it comes down to me "just doing the exercises" and that there is only so much he can do for me.  If you feel that you have learned the exercises and can do them on your own and you have full ROM, maybe you could discuss with your OS if you even need to have formal therapy any more.  As soon as I get my ROM back, I think my PT will release me to do therapy on my own and maybe check in with him once or twice a month just to be monitored and see if my exercise program should be tweaked.  Right now, I do two days of formal therapy and one day on my own at the gym.  However, if you feel that you are not getting the attention that you need or deserve, then I would by all means switch PT's.  You need to have a PT that you trust and that is looking out for your well being.  I think that a PT should be available to ask questions to and should be monitoring your progress.  And if he is not following the protocol, I say ditch him.     
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! Miraculously my PT has been absolutely amazing this week. He has been very helpful and back to his old self again! I don't know if he was just going though a stale state but this week has been great.

I have been experiencing some medial joint line discomfort and he helped me realize my Pumas (which I love dearly) were the reason my knee was hurting. The puma shoes I've been wearing do not have any additional support on the medial side and I was pronating too much when walking. He referred me to a store that sells top of the line running shoes. After walking in the new shoes for just a few minutes I noticed a HUGE difference. I will never buy cheap tennis shoes again!

Another note, the UNI Marching Band Director is begging me to return for a 5th season  twirling with the band. I consulted my doctor and he said  "Absolutely, you can twirl! You just can't run or jump!" HA! Has anyone seen a college half time? That's what the twirler does, runs and jumps across the field weaving in and out of the band! I'm not sure if I'll make a come back or not. If I do I will definitely have to tone down my performance and be more stationary during the pre-game and half-time shows.
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
Be careful trying to get back into sports too fast!!  I am glad your PT has improved this week!!  Good shoes are very very important!!  Good luck!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
Almost 6 months post op. My PT has started getting me back into sport specific movements which is great! I've started practicing spinning and pushing off for bigger baton tricks.

Tomorrow I get to attempt to RUN in the aquaciser!!!! It will be nice to finally get some cardio in and try and break a sweat! It seems like forever since I have had a good workout and I look forward to the challenge, we'll see how the knee likes it!

I go for my 6 month post op appointment in May and look forward to hearing what the Doctor has to say!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
I just realized how to post pictures... it took me a few years but I finally got it figured out :P

Here are my X Rays!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »
Here is my Scar and other x ray
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
I'm getting my screws out in July!! has anyone else had this done? they have been driving me crazy! i have no meat on my legs over them and i hit them all the time!

Doc said I wouldn't need crutches and would get my stitches out in a week... basically no big deal.

I look forward to getting them out!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 01:51:34 AM »
screws out tuesday! we'll see how it goes! you can honestly SEE them!!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

Offline UNItwirler

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 05:34:55 AM »
I haven't updated this in a while but my joint line pain has come back and the head athletic trainer at my university is convinced I did tear my meniscus this winter. With increased activity my knee is swelling up like a balloon and my medial joint line is killing me. ALSO, my patella pain has returned in full force, knife like pain when squatting even slightly, going up and down stairs, and walking on an incline.

Need to get an MRI and then go from there. I can't believe the pain is back!
-Screw Removal 7/08
-Scope 9/08

support