Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recovering from dislocated knee  (Read 1278 times)

Offline patty153

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovering from dislocated knee
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
Haven't been here in awhile. This past December my right knee dislocated when I slipped on a wet spot in my classroom.
I've been in therapy for a month now.
I'm stronger. I'm using the leg press to strengthen, I'm up to 156 lbs.
The problem is my range. I'm doing my exercises at home between therapy sessions.
My therapist has been bending the knee (when I'm on my stomach),talk about excruciating.
Not my knee so much but my hip and buttocks muscles.
My knee has to be stretched.
The problem: after completing therapy I want to compensate with my ankle and calf and not bend my knee.
My knee is like "cement" every morning.
I had an MRI two weeks ago. Everything looked fine.
The Nurse Practictioner said that if my knee was not better I'd have to get scoped or a steroid shot.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Patty 153

dileigh

Re: Recovering from dislocated knee
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:10:51 PM »
Maybe you did something to your back as well?  I have very low back pain and feel it in that area first when it acts up.  There are stretches for that area as well that might help also.   I do this one, but I would make sure about a back injury as well before starting it.  Stretches the glute area really well without a lot of strain.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/big/2006/seatedfloortwist3.jpg

Tips: Sit up straight, balanced on your sit bones. Keep your spine straight. Straighten your left leg, then cross your right leg over the left (put the right foot on the floor, outside the left knee). Turn your torso to the right, "hooking" the outside of your right knee with your left elbow. Put your right hand on the floor behind you for balance as you twist. Switch sides.  Also you have to make sure you don't put pressure directly on the knee.

Good luck
Diana

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Recovering from dislocated knee
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
Patty,
Ive had (quite literally) 100s of dislocations and I cant ever remember experiencing buttock/hip pain ike you describe (plenty of other pain though and needing to 'stretch' the knee) - do you think you may have hurt your lower back/hip when you dislocated in December? This might be worth investigating.

As for feeling like cement in the mornings, sometimes we 'stiffen' up the joint to protect it and guard against further injury - than can result in it stiffening a lot overnight and being cementy in the morning - is it also cementy after youve sat in the same position for a while? It could be inflammation in it still from the dislocation thats causing that. I have had many a cement like experience but its never been something that lasts forever.
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app