Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee surgey 2 days go & skiing! Help  (Read 882 times)

Offline mieshka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee surgey 2 days go & skiing! Help
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:03:47 PM »
Hi All, I've just had knee surgery (yesterday), a torn meniscus and removal of thick medial plica !(whatever that means). My surgeon said it'll be healed in time for our skiing holiday in December. However, since reading through some of these messages, i'm not so convinced. Is there anything I can do to speed recovery or can anyone recommend any supports? Thanks

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Knee surgey 2 days go & skiing! Help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »
Welcome tot he Knee Geeks first and foremost,

Listen to your surgeon and your physio they see what has to be done and know if it is possible. If you follow procedures and train for your skiing, I don't see how any of us can say otherwise. There are lot of people here who have had problems but there is no reason to believe at this stage that you will too.

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:44:23 PM »
+1 to Sue.

Do the physiotherapy faithfully, and don't overdo daily activities the first week or two post-op.

The plica is a band of synovial tissue in some people's knees that doesn't seem to have any purpose other than to get inflamed at inconvenient times.   ;)   If you'll look around the main part of this Web site, you'll find a much better description.  Here's one link:

www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/knee/knee_anatomy/medial_plica.html

I had plica removal and a meniscus trim five months ago (see my signature).  By 3 1/2 weeks post op, I was walking two miles a day. I was up to three miles three times a week by six weeks, with eight- to ten-mile bike rides on alternate days.

Good luck! 

Betsy
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline HTL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »
Hi All, I've just had knee surgery (yesterday), a torn meniscus and removal of thick medial plica !(whatever that means). My surgeon said it'll be healed in time for our skiing holiday in December. However, since reading through some of these messages, i'm not so convinced. Is there anything I can do to speed recovery or can anyone recommend any supports? Thanks

Hi there,
Do let us know how you get on, I am having both my knees done Nov 14th and I am hoping to go skiing Feb 23rd.
Good luck!!