Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New, Complete knee reconstruction done  (Read 733 times)

Offline etos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New, Complete knee reconstruction done
« on: October 30, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
Well on 10-07-07 I was involved in a motorcycle accident where i hit a patch of dirt in a turn and fell. No ones sure how exactly I crashed if I 180'ed the bike and it slammed my leg against the guard rail or it just fell so hard and fast it crushed my leg to the pavement. The damage pretty much was a broken femur which I didn't know was broken cause I had full gear on and I didn't feel any pain on my femur cause the pain on my knee was so massive it completely overwhelmed that pain. I still can't remember exactly what the knee damage was cause it's a bunch of al cl tl rl re th and i'm like huh? But from what I can understand I tore 3 of my ligaments and tore the muscle connected to the 4th, tore my patella right off and a small fracture on my tibia. When I went for knee reconstruction friday I had 2 ligaments replaced by cadavers and one ligament repaired with the other muscle repaired as well. They also put the patella back in place with a screw. The pain is pretty insane and my doc has me on 8mg of dilaudid every 3-4 hours and a recirculating ice pack that connects to a pump in a cooler with ice water. The doc says not to use the CPM untill 2 weeks fter surgery which I find kinda strange considering from what he even told me before the operation is that I gatta be moving my leg ASAP after surgery to prevent stiffness. He said untill he oks me for the CPM I should move my ankle back and worth as far back as possible 50 times every half hour. Does this sound right? Also what kind of recommendations can you give about everyday living. What to eat, drink, how do you shower without getting the leg wet(please nothing fancy like a whole new special tub, I'm actually pretty poor right now), how to do the business in the bathroom, I'm pretty much avoiding solids right now to avoid this problem. It hurt like hell and took long to setup the cont. and get my leg setup right since I'm constipated from the meds and I need to spread it pretty wide to get it out and man that hurts like hell too. Sorry if this is inappropriate but it's a serious issue I have as well with all this. Any tips and advice about anything is greatly appreciated.

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 215
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: New, Complete knee reconstruction done
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »
Hi

First tip

Sower with a plastic bin liner or large bag over your injured knee/leg.

Place a plastic chair in the shower so that you can sit down.

As far as the toilet issue is concerned, you can hire a special seat which sits on your toilet pan, and you would not have far to sit down.

Further tip - sleep with a pillow/cushion between your legs..

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: New, Complete knee reconstruction done
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »
Bathroom tips:

Forget showering until you can move around a little more - use a big basin of hot soapy water, a towel under you (whether that be on bed, in a chair, on a couch etc...), get a small cloth or sponge and individually wash each bit of yourself. It works fine - its safer than tackling the shower at first.

For toilet - you can hire a special seat and/or - put a low stool in the bathroom, when you sit on the loo you can hoist your leg up onto the stool - so that its extended pretty straight in front of you while youre on the seat. You can adjust the position of the low stool to have your leg in whatever position is best for you.

For eating and drinking you may want to get a flask on a string so that you can make tea for example and into the flask so that you can move the tea to a place where you can drink it.

Get as much help as possible off people - dont be afraid to impose on family/friends - this is a once off situation - you will need help - take whatever is offered and ask for more.

Dont be afraid to ask inappropriate questions here - we have all experienced similiar issues - and they are REAL!!!

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support