Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: calf pain since surgery  (Read 1666 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
calf pain since surgery
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:32:53 AM »
I had surgery - medial and lateral meniscus and a huge ganglion cyst removed last Wed.  For the last two days I've noticed that my calf is getting very sore and stiff.  He has me on aspirine every 4 hours.   It feels like a rather deep muscle pre-cramping.  I am taking it very easy.  Just using the crutches when I get up for balance.  Any idea's?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: calf pain since surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:07:41 AM »
If blood cloth is sorted out, calf pain is pretty common after surgery. I have had that after basically all my surgeries. Ankel pumps should be helpful to do, but I am sure you already do them. Also try to massage the area or have someone help you with that. Heat can also ease up unless you aren't too swollen already.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: calf pain since surgery
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:27:11 AM »
Make sure you rule out a blood clot first. Then try stretches, and massage, like Nettan suggested. There's another post around here that discussed similar feelings, but in a different muscle - stretching was found to be a solution. Just remember though, it's early days yet and things are bound to kick up a fuss following surgery. I had mine 5 weeks ago today and I'm still having the odd bit of discomfort. Are you using ice for the knee? Might be an idea if you aren't already. You could have a hot pack on your calf and a cold pack on your knee!!!  ;D You'll certanly get the hots and colds!! LOL.
Good luck and keep on taking it easy.
Kathy

support