Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mix up in my Notes  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Josey Posey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Josie Posey
Mix up in my Notes
« on: July 15, 2003, 06:42:09 PM »
Hi to all
I'm Josie and I had (???) a debridement, tear repair, plicaectomy and medial release done 2.5 weeks ago.
I have put ??? as, when I visited the nurse clinic yesterday to have my stitches out, I did not see my surgeon but a physiotherapist.  She asked me if I was totally aware of what I had had done and when I gave the the info that 1)  I had been given on the ward by the staff nurse and 2) the info that had been on my discharge letter she was adamant that I had only had a debridement.
I was left feeling like a naughty school girl.  The fact of the matter was I have had pain since I was about 4 years old.  Have had steroid injections and an arthroscopy 20 years ago and at 37 I was banking on this last surgical procedure being my 'saviour'.  I feel very down and dispondant now to learn that the debridement they carried out was the one thing they were not going to do as I have maltracking and they didn't want to shorten the life of the patella.
I have spoken to the surgeon's secretary who is requesting my notes and will 'look into it'.
There was something else on my notes about a large
chron_____ (something area) can anyone help, I know I will recongise the word when I see it.
many thanks
Josie    :( >:(

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Mix up in my Notes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 02:35:54 AM »
Debridement may not mean they did anything to the patella. I think it usually means they removed scar tissue. Smoothing the patella cartilege is chondroplasty. Could that be the word you were looking for? Or a chondral defect (which means damage to the articular cartilege)? Sounds like you need to get some straight answers from your OS when you see him. I know it's probably driving you crazy, but it really doesn't matter right this minute. Right now you need to recover, no matter what they did. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Josey Posey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Josie Posey
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 05:10:27 PM »
Hi Janet
Thanks for your reply.  After chasing my Consultant's Secretary, I still do not have any answers.  It appears though that the debridement did smooth down the very rough inside of the knee (They've given me photos).  I'm still in loads of pain and I'm finding that my knee keeps on giving way; it feels like it's bending the wrong way, almost as if the mechanisim which stops it bending the wrong way has broken.  Any ideas?
Thanks
Josie

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 08:11:14 PM »
It could just be from muscle weakness. I find that because I have so much quad atrophy, my knee sometimes feels like it "gives way" by hyperextending straight back. Is that what you mean? Are you in PT? It is amazing how much quad strength you lose immediately, even with "small" surgery. I am five weeks post-op now and still aren't close to my quad strength before surgery (which wasn't good to start with). This is definitely something I would address with your PT or OS, since you don't want to have your knee give way or fall and do more damage to your knee.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Josey Posey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Josie Posey
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 10:43:51 PM »
Hi Janet
I think you could be right about the muscle weakness.  I'm not too sure if it's hyperextending but it certainly feels like it wants to go the wrong way.  I have received a letter referring me for physio now and I go on Tuesday.  I, too, am 5 weeks post op.  What  did you have done?
I have since had clarification that they did not carry out a medial release but that they debrided the knee and found a plica so I'm hoping that my pain will be all gone once the recovery is finalised.
Kind regards
Josie

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 09:18:05 PM »
Josie:

I am glad you are going to physio. That will really help you get your quad strength back. It's interesting how the rehab protocol differs from doctor to doctor. I started in PT the day after my surgery, so I have already been going for almost six weeks.

At the bottom of my post, you can see my surgical history. I started with a quad tendon repair, then went on to scar tissue problems that have been addressed with three additional surgeries. The last one removed a "huge ball" of scar tissue from around the patella tendon and smoothed the back of my patella. But because I have had such a hard time for four years, my quad strength is very poor and I have never regained a normal gait. I am still not back to my pre-surgery strength, so I know this will be a long (but hopefully positive) rehab!

Janet

support