Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica removal-knees popping  (Read 1209 times)

Offline cornomaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica removal-knees popping
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
Had plica removed from right knee 8 mos. ago.  Was great for a few months before reaggravating the knee and my other knee while cycling.  When I do light squats, my knees pop where the plica would be and I can feel it if I put my hand on that area. This is a new thing. Not too painful when it pops but feels mostly weird and out of place.  Knees generally are painful to walk and cycle.  Any ideas what that popping is?

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Plica removal-knees popping
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 10:14:46 AM »
if its a relatively painless pop it might be tendons. pretty much all of my joints make noise, I crack, pop, click a lot, but none of it hurts, its just tendons moving over bone, it didnt happen so much when i was a kid, but as you get older you get a bit less flexible.....
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:54:56 PM »
It's possible that the plica may have partly regrown, or that you have some scar tissue rubbing.

But then again, you may have a whole new issue (let's hope not!).  What did you do cycling that upset your knees?  Too much distance?  Mashing instead of spinning?   :o 

Might be worth putting in a call to your OS...
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline cornomaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:24:24 PM »
Pain is in the same place.  I was keeping up with riders whom I probably should not have been able to keep up with.  I ride about 200-250 miles per week (not right now) but do a pretty good job of spinning.  However, one must push hard to keep up with a pace of upper 20's mph and through the rollers.  I am currently resting and doing exercises that I have previously done in therapy to try to help it before I call the OS.  Thanks for your reply.

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »
If I get to ride 200 miles in a month, it's a good month!  And the only place I see upper 20's is on downhills.   ;D

Have you had your bike fit checked recently?  Might be that adjusting your cleats or fore/aft position a bit would help the knees out.

Here's hoping the rest and exercise will calm things down.

o^o  o^o  o^o  O^o
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK