Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A Break Through  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
A Break Through
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:24:02 AM »
I wasn't sure wether to add this to one of the posts that I have been active in, or to start a new topic. In the end I've decided on a new thread, in the hope that it may help someone else out there, it's sometimes noce to share a 'light bulb' moment just in case it lights another persons life.............OK are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin.

I hadn't held great hopes for today, physio and a visit to my Doc, who has at times been less than helpful, visiting physio to catch up on progress with my knee, and the Doc to try and get an answer for all my other joint problems. Well it turned out to be a busy day, left home at 10am for 10.30 appointment, didn't get home until 2, did have some waiting about, but mainly I've been granted the most precious gift that the medical profession, time.

So the bad news bit is that my knees, back, shoulders and left elbow, all have arthritis to some degree, the left wrist is a bit suspect. OK so that isn't so good, but what we did discover by talking it through, is that it isn't the pain, and the restrictions that has been causing me so much grief, it's the lack of control that really gets to me.

The good news bit, is that as a team we have found the way forward, and I feel really positive about it. For pain control now I have a whole list of workable combinations of OTC drugs, including doses, what mixes I can take, and when and how to take them for best affect. I also have scripts safely written for some stronger stuff if needed. I now feel that I can do what I need to do to control the pain. With the physio have worked out a whole raft of excersises to do to help keep everything moving.

The big one for me though is a new visualisation, I'm no longer going to see the arthritis and the pain as an enemy to be beaten, instead it will be seen as a long term partner. I got so tired of fighting it the whole time, it was wearing me out. Now I see how to work with it, it's the same as any long term relationship, once all the excitement and newness has worn off, you just have to settle down and learn how to live together. For me and my friend BIG A, this now means that some days I'll allow A to have the upper hand, if A doen't want to do things, OK sometimes it will be his turn, but by the same token, if there is something that I really want to do Big A is just going to have to accept the fact that it's my turn to be in charge, and like any other relationship, when you get your own way, you sometimes have to pay for it later.

So here's to me and Big A, now lifetime partners not by choice, but that's the way it is, so we are going to learn to get along together.

Denny
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: A Break Through
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:59:08 AM »
Wow Denny!! What a great day for you  :D I really like your perspective on things. I must admit that it has helped me shed a more positive light on the last 4 weeks (since my surgery). I now have a firm diagnosis, and know where and how bad my arthritis is, so I can start being more proactive about things. I may dislike my restrictions but now I can look at them as my bit of giving in the partnership - I figure now the Big A owes me one  ;) Perhaps I'll get less pain or more time before TKR as a reward for sticking to my restrictions! Thank you so much for sharing your revelation with us.
Best wishes,
Kathy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »
Denny!!!
I love it!! You and Big A - lifetime partners, and if I know you you;ll be telling Big A where to get off if he tries to pull his weight :)
Fantastic perspective - maybe we could get you doing a bit of counselling on the website - you sure know how to take news and give it a good spin - oh oh oh - you can go for a political job!!!

You should go for a session of NLP Denny - youd be a fantastic candidate for it, its all about using language to implant more positive messages in the brain....its fun :)
xx
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
Denny ~ What a great attitude! Having the ability & know-how to deal with the issues is a real plus. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
Now you know what is going on and have a game plan.  I think knowing there are things you can do helps so much.  I don't like the arthritis in my knees either, but it's not going away, so you are so right.  Time to get ready for a long relationship.  Great to see you feeling better.  Keep up the positive attitude!

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 03:36:07 PM »
Denny, congratulations on making progress with such a positive attitude I am sure you will tackle it well. On bad days you are inspiration to others with such a progressive and empowering attitude.

Hope it all goes well now :)
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline deez

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 04:38:53 PM »
Wow Denny!!!!

I'm so happy for you and your new perspective!!!!!  I'm going to take the lessons you learned yesterday and apply them to myself.  Your Dr. must be really in tune with The Big A and very in tune with how people deal with pain.  I'm so glad you have adequate pain relief now and along with your new attitude, life will be looking much brighter for you.  I'm sure you'll still have down days and just remember that we're all here for you - no matter what kind of day your having.

Hugs,
Dee

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
Hey Denny, that's great! things go much easier with a positive attitude. You have so much work to do around your farm, you've got to find some way to get a handle on things. Good luck, and glad you've got the pain management bit all worked out (that's a major thing!)

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

support