Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 problems, I'm a walking wreck, welcome any ideas !!  (Read 1283 times)

Offline 808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 problems, I'm a walking wreck, welcome any ideas !!
« on: October 22, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
Hi there

Problem No 1

I have a problem with left knee, pain at the front :( I can describe it as a bubbling effect always there in the background, some days worse, other days bearable. Have tried nhs/private phisio plus doing daily stretches. Would welcome your thoughts on what I should do next or if you have similar symptons.

I'm 33 now, at 14 I had surgery on a disc touching my nerves that affected my left leg, up to that point walking had become very difficult. The surgery lifted the pain instantly but as you can imagine at that age I failed to keep up with the pos-op rehab, I've always been active - tennis, swimming, cycling and squash - so it didn't matter too much back then.

Now 20 years later I've had this bubbling pain on my knee cap on/off for 3/4 years, last year has been constant forcing me to give up the sports I love - mtb'ing and squash, both very knee intensive. I've been told my hamstrings on my left are very tight. Could this be causing the pain in my knee ? Would an MRI show anything up ?

I try to do 5 mins of stretching twice a day, used to go swimming but gave this up. I'm now getting fat & lazy and need to sort this out !!

Problem No 2

My next problem isn't on my knee but could be connected with the above...

On my right thigh when I stop suddenely to change direction I sometimes get a sharp pain in my thigh, almost like a dislocation, it goes after a few seconds, my upper leg seems very weak. I tried putting deap heat/ice spray on it which seems to help a bit but it still appears a problem. Could this be a trapped nerve ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I would be extremely grateful for any feedback.

Bruce

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:09:20 PM by 808 »

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 2 problems, I'm a walking wreck, welcome any ideas !!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »
Hi 808,
I dont have answers for you - but I can advise on next steps for you.

On your first problem - Have you seen an OS recently? Is it possible you have damage on the back of the kneecap? I think your first stop should be an OS to determine what is causing the pain.

I dont know what the pain on your right thigh could be but its possible its related, perhaps from over compensation because your left knee is always bothering you.

If I were you I would see a GP asap and get a referral to an OS, if there are any relevant physio reports you can get them sent to the OS. An OS will examine you, determine if there is a mechanical problem and run tests (including x-rays and MRI) if necessary.

Beyond that you probably wont get a diagnosis here, your symptoms are quite broad in terms of what could be wrong - it could be anything.
Tanya

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline 808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi Tanya

That all sounds like good advice, thanks. I think at the time of seeing the phisio I was expecting a quick fix and I need as you say†to pursue this further with an OS. I've been putting this off too long, I'll make a booking with my GP this week.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »
Thats good to hear Bruce,
I certainly hope its something thats easy to fix and not a big deal.

Physios are great when its a straightforward muscle/tendon issue, but sometimes we need the OS to tell us what is going on inside the joint.

Post and let us know how you get on.
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Stuey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • www.ssop.com.au
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 03:30:43 AM »
Need more info to have a go at figuring out your problems.....(and it is by nomeans accurate without seing you!!! - which is tough as am in australia)

Firtsly what op did you have on your back and at what level....where was your pain in the leg front or back?
do you have back/leg pain now?

Also what makes your knee pain better and worse?? which activities do you struggle with specifically?

You need to get a diagnosis which comes from accurate assesment....if you have seen a physio and they cant give you a working diagnosis they don't really understand what the problem is...In that case go see your GP and get a ref for a sports physician or OS.

An MRI of your knee is expensive & if the problem is referred from L2/3 you wont see anything anyway.  Let the doctors advise you on what kind of scan over what bit of your body looks more like the clinical cause of your pain

good luck
B.Sc (Hons) Physiotherapy (UK)
Reg PT (AIF)
Senior Physiotherapist

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
Hey Stuey - are you a doctor? This is a dangerous question for you to answer on a bloggers board in case you get flooded with questions!!!!
If you ARE - Id like your opinion on my most recent skyline x-ray........
If youre NOT and you just wanna look at the x-ray anyway its posted on an old thread around here somewhere.......
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline 808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
Hi Stuey

I think it's around the L3 point, unfortunately I don't have any paperwork to hand but I believe the disc was touching a nerve and was cut away, sorry I know that sounds pretty simplistic !!

The pain back then was down the back of my left leg from top down to the calf. I sometimes get the odd twinge sensation in my lower back when I'm bending awkwardly but itís generally been fine. The operation removed the pain instantly.

The pain I get now is bubbling/throbbing at the front of my left knee; itís constant and doesn't stop me walking. Its not like a pain where you scream more a nagging pain.

The pain can be worse after a lot of activity. I stopped doing sports about 6 months but continued with swimming, now I'm not returning to swimming until get a full diagnosis.

I've been doing a number of stretches on a daily basis for 4/5 months but haven't seen an improvement, hence my posting on here.

Thanks everyone for your responses, will let you know how I get on.

Bruce

Offline Stuey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • www.ssop.com.au
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 04:21:22 AM »
Hi bruce

I am sruggling a little with your back....the info given doesn't seem to make sense.

If you can give me more info then i'll have a go at figuring it out.

Also...if you have been stretching for 4-5 months and no change...then stretching is not the solution.

What makes your throbbing kneecap worse/better..... is it worse when your back is sore??...........have you tried to tape your kneecap to unload the infrapatellar fat pads??

stuey
B.Sc (Hons) Physiotherapy (UK)
Reg PT (AIF)
Senior Physiotherapist

support