Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 2130 times)

Offline jerblaine

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please Help
« on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
  I am 31 yr old male very athletic and muscular and never been injured before. I have no medical insurance.

13 days ago I dove head first into first base in my kickball league game. The top of my knee immediately swelled up almost immediately.  I had xrays in the ER the next day and he said nothing was broken. I couldnt believe it.I remained active on the leg for the next 5 days but then the pain became more than i could handle and i couldnt move my knee much. I went back to the ER on the 12th day for more pain meds cuz it is STILL swolen. Theyre telling me I need an MRI.

After reading about the anatomy of the knee it appears I crushed the top of my patella and maybe the patellar tendon as well.

The ground was very hard dirt pretty much like cement.

Will this part of the patella regenerate without treatment? It is now more purple than ever on my knee. In the beginning it wasnt so purple.......and my ankle is really tight because of the blood that drained down inside of it. I cant put my heel down on the ground because of the tightness in my ankle.

What is happening? Am I going to be crippled for life since I have no health insurance and have no way to get an MRI?

Does it sound like I smashed my patella? I havent been able to work. My life is slipping out from under me. Will it heal? Do I just wait it out? I cant bend my knee all the way cuz theres a tightness on the top of the knee when i try to bend it. The swelling is still not done. Is my body naturally replacing the patella? Why did the xrays show no break?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »
Hi

The problem is that you are 31 and have all your life in front of you.

It is essential to see an Orthopaedic Consultant and have a MRI scan, otherwise you could be crippled for life - the problem will not go away by looking at it.

DONT DELAY

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline nhbob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Website of my once active life
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »
Hi Jerblaine,

I agree with John, go and get the MRI done, or just find an Orthopedic Surgeon to check out what happened to you.  I was like you, totally fit for 55 years until a month ago.... I wound up rupturing my quadriceps tendon... a rupture of the patella tendon is pretty much the equivalent, but below the patella.  Tendon ruptures tend to not show on regular x-rays, so if your x-rays are normal, a tendon injury might be the problem. 

But as John says, get some help immediately, I don't know what you've done, but some injuries (like in my case, surgery is the only way to reattach the tendon).  But it is all important t make sure you have the best treatment.  Even if you have to pay $25/month for the next 20 years to pay your medical bill, I would think it's all important to keep yourself healthy... get the treatment now, so you will be fine in the future.

Let us know how you do.

Bob
Ruptured Left Quadricep Tendon on 24 September 2007
Surgery 28 Sept 2007 (but suture anchor broke)
Surgery 03 Oct 2007 (OS did not use suture anchor 2nd time around)
Ruptured Disk in Back affecting S1 nerve 11 Dec 2007
Back Surgery 09 Jan 2008 to uncompress S1 nerve

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »
If you smashed your patella it would have shown up in an x-ray. But x-rays can only show bone and not soft tissue damage. Most of what happens to knees is soft tissue injuries that require an MRI.

You don't need insurance to see a doctor or get an MRI. You'll just have to make up your mind to pay out of pocket and sacrifice things you can live without. Going to the ER is a lot more expensive than going to a doctor so you're wasting your money going back there. Trying to diagnose and/or treat yourself using the internet is futile and could cause you more harm than good. Not getting a diagnosis and getting the proper treatment could have serious long term effects that could end your athletic career forever. You need to set your priorities and take care of yourself now.

Offline StacLynne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • A Long Hard Road
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:16:11 AM »
If  you go see an ortho he will give you a script for a MRI normally. Get the MRI done at a hospital and they can bill you for the MRI. It is an expensive test, but well worth it when it comes to your health. Work out a payment plan with the hospital. If your Ortho offers an in house MRI try to establish a payment plan with the office. (I work in a GP's office and he is generous for uninsured patients as are many doctors.) Hope this helps you out!

Stacie.
WHAT A ROAD THIS HAS BEEN!!!!

ACL RECON 3/04
Debridement/Manual Manip. 5/04
Notchoplasty/ACL Cut Back 8/04
Notchoplasty 2/05
Debridement/Manual Manip 7/05
Drop Leg cast 11/05
Debridement/Manual Manip 4/06
Removal Of ACL 10/07

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:48 AM »
Trying to diagnose and/or treat yourself using the internet is futile and could cause you more harm than good. Not getting a diagnosis and getting the proper treatment could have serious long term effects that could end your athletic career forever. You need to set your priorities and take care of yourself now.

I totally agree with Jathib - you need to get this checked out. It may just be a bad case of bruising, you may have done soft tissue damage, no one can say unless you have an MRI done.
But for an injury like that you need more investigation - the people in ER have told you you need an MRI - listen to them - go get it done. You will have to pay yourself but its more important to find a way to pay for that than risk knee problems further down the line from not attending to it now.

Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app