Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1090 times)

Offline KRNeville

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • Kimberly Neville - Graphic Artist (view in 1024x768 & IE)
Introduction
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
Hello Everyone /wave

I will do a quick history and introduction. My name is Kimberly and I am a 37 year old, happily married,
mom of 2 wonderful boys.

18 years ago I was in a car accident. Was told I suffered from compression injuries to both knees.
In those 18 years I have had 7 surgeries and 2 manipulations.
  • 4 scopes to right knee
  • 1 scope to left knee
  • Bi-Lateral TKRs in Sept of 2006
  • Bi-Lateral MUA in Feb of 2007

My doctor said it was time for the replacement of my right knee and scope of my left, then added
replacement of the left knee to the consent form 2 days before the surgeries. He said if he scoped
my left and saw that it would only give me relief for a year or so he would replace it also. So I woke
with 2 new knees and more pain and heartache then I can handle since.

My doctor said 1 week in the hospital, 4 weeks till I could drive, and that everything that was giving
me pain would be gone........ It was 2 full weeks in the hospital and I couldn't drive for almost 7 months,
and I have not been without pain since.

I am honesly not sure what to do now... I'm really at my tolerence for pain and dissapointment.

~Kimberly

18 years - 7 surgeries and 2 manipulations.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4 scopes to right knee
1 scope to left knee
Bi-Lateral TKRs in Sept of 2006
Bi-Lateral MUA in Feb of 2007
Pending Revision of Both Knees

Offline sarahh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
Hi Kimberly welcome to the boards, I am new here aswell. Sorry to hear about your knee replacements, thats alongtime to be in pain and discomfort. Have you been back to the consultant at all? What has they said? my mum will have to have one at some point.

Take care

Sarah x
Dyspraxia Diagonsed age 5, Hypermobility Sydrome Diagnosed December 1999, Unknown Auto-immune Diease September 2007

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
Hi Kimberly,
Welcome! I'm also new here, joined a couple of weeks ago. I'm sorry to hear about all your knee problems. It's tough to come out of so many surgeries with high expectations only to experience continued pain. I know how you feel. I have chondral defects and medial compartment OA in both  knees and when conservative treatment no longer helped I elected to have more invasive surgeries. HTO on the right knee and a mosaicplasty on the left knee- which I had a long difficult rehab. (arthrofibrosis and then problems getting the quad muscle to function). But I did fully recover after 8.5 months of PT. Unfortunately there's a problem with the mosaicplasty(possible degeneration at donor site). The OS thinks there is degeneration throughout the entire knee, he's talked about a TKA but only being 43 years old I would like to wait a while longer if possible. For now i'm in an unloader brace awaiting an appointment for an MRI. If MRI looks fairly good I may have an HTO. I often post in the arthritis section. Feel free to post there if you want to talk. Are you still under the care of an OS or PT?
Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision