Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI and HTO on 10/22/07-It's going to turn out great!!  (Read 37880 times)

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: ACI and HTO on 10/22/07-It's going to turn out great!!
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »
Casey, it sounds like you guys had a great honeymoon.  Congrats again!!! 

I can totally relate to the gait thing.  I'm so sorry to hear tuat the analysis was  a complete waste of time.  I was anxious to see what they said.  My husband and good friends often comment on my gait as well, but I tend to point my toe outward as opposed to inward.  Even running today, I did that.  For me,  a lot of my gait issues is my hip.  My right hip is so much tighter than my left. When I take the time to stretch out my hip and really focus on relaxing it, I walk fine.  I really think it's a habit for me more than anything.  Maybe it's the same with you?  We tend to protect our knee for so long and we don't trust it.  It's hard to be able to do that. So we fall into the same routines.  I find that when I do walk abnormally, THAT is when I have the pain. I'm sorry you are still having issues with that, but it sounds like you are really progressing well!  Good for you!   :)

Keep us posted!

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2008, 02:13:32 AM »
10 months post-op:  My knee is doing great.  I rarely have pain in my ACI area.  I hiked a couple of miles today on pretty uneven terrain and my knee did fantastic.  I had one or two twinges of pain which I would assume is normal at this point when walking on uneven ground.  I have absolutely no pain in my ACI area for activites of daily living.  My husband and I walk 1-2 miles a night and my knee never hurts.  I continue to see improvements each month.  I am swimming now and am able to swim a mile without any problems with the knee (freestyle and breatstroke).  I've noticed that getting out of the pool by just pulling myself out of the water on the side of the pool is very hard on my hardware from my HTO.  It is not painful, it just feels very weak in that area.  I'm starting to be able to see quad muscles again and my calf muscles are finally starting to look decent again.  My PT routine is starting to get easy and I've been able to increase my weights in the gym.   My leg still gets tired, typically after working out or if I walk more than 2 miles.  Usually, I can tell when it is tired because my gait starts to fall apart, not due to pain, just my muscles being tired.  I still have a little bit of swelling and my knee still swells with too much activity.  My only complaint at this point is that my gait is still slightly off and I still get comments from friends and co-workers that I am still limping a little.  I just don't know how to get rid of the limp.  It is not due to pain and I don't recognize when I am doing it.  I'm really starting to see that all the hard work that has gone into rehabing my knee has been worth it.  I'm anxious to see how my knee does when I return to rock climbing (which will hopefully be soon). 

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2008, 01:25:54 AM »
11 months post-op:  Today I did some easy rock climbing.  Overall, my knee did great!  I did three easy climbs and was very careful not to twist or pivot the knee.  I had two moments where I felt the slightest bit of pain and the pain was fleeting.  My knee was slightly sore when I was done but the soreness was gone before we finished our 10 minute hike back to the car.  I was very pleased that I was able to do some easy climbing.   

I had a slight set back about three weeks ago.  I slipped and got a really sharp pain on my graft area.  the knee swelled and I had to take a week off from working out due to sharp pains on my graft.  All seems to have calmed down now expect for some pain that is not on the graft area.  I'm not sure if I have have done something else like torn my meniscus or not.   the pain is not that bad so I am willing to live with it for now. 

I am still limping a little and still seeking out someone to help me with my limp.  I have had four people comment to me this past week about my limping.  It is slight but enough that people are still noticing it.  I'm getting so tired of people asking me if I am limping!! 

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »
12 months post-op:  I saw my OS today.  I went to see him because my knee never seemed to feel quite right after I slipped about two months ago.  I kept having inconsistent pain and was unsure if I damaged my cells or something else in my knee.  After examining my knee, my OS thinks that my pain is due to my plate from my ostetomy.  He is unsure if I did something to the plate when I slipped.  I am very sore in the area of the plate and he thinks that is what is causing the pain in my knee.  He wants me to get a new x-ray to see if the screws or anything have shifted.  He also wants to take my hardware out.  He said that he thinks from examining me that my cells are fine.  I was not sore when he pushed on my bone where my cells are located.  Thank goodness!!!  He also does not think that I have torn my meniscus or damaged anything else when I sliipped.  So, I am going to go ahead and have the hardware removed in December.  The recovery will be about a month.  I will be partial weight bearing for a week and then I must protect the knee for the first month post op so that the holes in the bone where the hardware is located can heal.  Then, I am free to do whatever activities I want.  It sounds like I will have to wear a brace of some sort for awhile after the hardware removal. He is also going to scope the knee at the same time so that he can take a look at my cells. 

Activity wise I have been kinda careful about what I have been doing just because I was unsure what was going on with my knee.  However, I rock climbed this past weekend and I was able to do some moderate level climbs PAIN FREE.  It felt fantastic to get back to the activity that I love.  I also hiked three to four miles the same day that I climbed.  The hiking involved lots of hills and I did not have any pain while I hiked until the very end of the day and then my knee started to feel a little sore.   My knee was sore for a few days afterwards, but now I suppose the pain was due to my hardware.   

About three weeks ago, I saw another PT to see if I could get rid of my slight limp.  The PT evaluated my gait and reviewed the video of my gait analysis that I had done in July.  He discovered that I was not fully extending my knee when I walk.  So, he worked with me for one session and made sure that I could do it correctly.  He sent me on my way and I practiced on my own and within a week or two, I was walking normally.  I am no longer getting comments that I limp.  It feels good to have finally ditched the limp!!

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2008, 02:35:02 AM »
Casey,

Hey Friend!! I am so glad to hear that you are getting back to the things that make you happy!!  That is great news.  I'm sorry you have to have another surgery, but hopefully it will eliminate your pain.  I am 16 months out from ACI and I only occasionally have pain in my implant site.  Because of my Osteotomy 10 months later, I have not been able to get back to the things that I love.  I am doing more in the gym, but I seem to have increased pain, and am forced to take something for the pain.  This past weekend, I went to an awesome party and danced quite a bit. I woke up Sunday to a lot of stiffness and more swelling than usual and pain.  So, I obviously cannot ramp up my activities too much!  I was so happy that I could even dance like my old self, that the pain after is ok., you know?  I was finally doing something that I loved and my hubby poopooed on my parade by getting upset that i was doing damage to my knee.  It's hard to understand how freeing it is to be able to do something that you hyaven't done in 2 whole years. Anyway, I am happy for you and your progress and I hope this hardware removal is a small bump in the road for you! Keep up the good work!!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
Hi Peg Leg,

Good to hear from you.  Sorry for my delayed response.  I'm sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with your knee.  Does your OS think that your pain will decrease with time as the osteotomy heals more or is the osteotomy fully healed? I'm glad that you could dance and enjoy yourself even if you had some pain the next day...it does feel good to get back to doing things that we enjoy!  I am always struggling with the fact that I can't do everything that I want due to my non-ACI knee.  I feel like I am always going to have to limit my activities to an extent.  My husband too worries about my knee.  He even told me the last weekend when we were out hiking that he thinks he worries more about my knee than I do.  He is always helping me when we go up and down hills. I am glad because I do still need his help on hills when hiking.  It is nice to have someone to cling too for stability.  I guess we should be glad that they care and are looking out for us.  After reading some stories on here about how some spouses treat their loved ones with knee problems, I would much rather have a caring overprotective husband than one that gets mad and annoyed with my problems.  I hope your knee is feeling better.  Keep in touch!! 

LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »
13 months post-op:  I finally got up the nerve to try jumping on my knee.  I did it and had NO pain while I was jumping.  It was actually quite thrilling.  A few minutes after I did it, I had some pain, but I walked it off in a matter of a minute or two.  I think the pain might have been related to my plate and screws and not my new cartilage but I'm not sure.  In a few weeks, I will know how my new cartilage really looks when my OS takes my hardware out. 
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
14 months post op:  Good news!!  I had my scope yesterday along with getting my hardware removed from my osteotomy and my new cartilage from my ACI looks good.  :) :)   So, it turns out that the pain that I was having was due either to the hardware or scar tissue.  My OS removed a big band of scar tissue and I think that was what was causing all my pain.  All the months of rehab have been worth it to hear that my new cartilage looks good.  I will have to take it easy for about two months so that my bones can heal from the hardware removal and then I am free to do whatever I want.  I have not ever really pushed the knee because I was always a little afraid that my cartilage got damaged when I slipped a couple of months ago.  What a relief to know that I now have healthy cartilage in my knee. 
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
That's great news!  I love hearing success stories from people that have already gone through this.  Have fun with your "refurbished" knee.
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2009, 02:27:24 AM »
16 months post op:  I thought I would check in and report just how well my new cartilage is doing.  This week I did some rock climbing and really pushed the knee by twisting it, taking really high steps on it and pushing off of it with my full weight.  I had no pain and I felt like I was back to my old self when climbing.  I am very thankful to my surgeon, Dr. Andrew Levy and his great staff for all that they have done for my knee.  I highly recommend him to anyone who needs ACI. 

I am still having some trouble with my knee.  I think that I have grown scar tissue again for the third time, but hey at least my ACI is doing great.  :)
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »
Posts like these are really motivating  :)

Thanks for checking in!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline momhanaway

• Regular Poster
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »
I agree, thank you for taking the time to post your successes.  My daughter is awaiting her surgery date and is home today. I was reading this to her.  Very motivating!

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2009, 03:56:29 PM »
Hi Casey!  I haven't been on here for the past few months and I'm very glad to hear you're doing so well.   I am scheduled to have my hardware removed on Thursday the 16th of April and I am so looking forward to it.  I'm 13 months post op from the HTO and ACI.   I'm glad to hear that went well for you.  I'm hoping to get back to hiking this summer and fall in Yosemite!   How is your knee doing now since your last post?   

Mary Ellen in KY
1989 first arthroscopic surgery to clean up knee
1992 2nd arthroscopic surgery for clean up of cartlidge flakes
1/24/08 harvesting of cells for carticel transplant
3/27/08 HTO and Carticel transplant

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: ACI and HTO on 10/22/07-It turned out good!
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2009, 01:56:49 AM »
Almost 2 years post-op:  Overall, my knee is doing good.  I am able to rock climb, ice climb, hike and bike.  I do not have any pain with my activities of daily living.  My knee is not 100% but I am happy with it.  I am able to walk/hike about 3-4 miles before my knee starts to get a little sore (not sore enough that I need to stop but I do feel it a little).  I wear a brace when hiking and rock climbing because I have discovered that twisting my knee when hiking on uneven ground and when rock climbing causes it to get a little bit sore.  Wearing the brace allows me to hike and climb pain free.  I am able to work out at the gym without any pain.  My knee still swells when I overdo it but the swelling always goes away in a day or two.  I do have to be somewhat careful that I don't do too much activity on it consecutive days in a row.  For example, I may be able to go out for a long hike but may have to wait 4-5 days before doing something strenous on it again because it will be a little sore afterwards.  I have not really tried running on it just because I have problems on my other knee and I want to preserve my knees as much as possible.  I can however run for short distances (from my car into the store when it is raining) without any pain.  I can also jump pain free.  My knee doesn't feel perfect and it probably never will but overall I am happy with the results.  I think I went into this surgery thinking that my knee would be perfect afterwards and I would be able to return to a high level of sports.  My knee might not be up to par for competitive sports but I am out there doing the things that I love and I will take that any day over not being able to do those things.  Six years after my initial injury and four surgeries later, I finally feel like there are no more trips to the OR in my future.   :) 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:01:55 AM by casey2291 »
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »
That's great to hear, Casey. It sounds like you're knee has made excellent progress. I'm so impressed that you are able to do all those activities with no pain. It's a bummer you can't run though, because that is the main activity I am looking to get back to after I am healthy again. But it seems like you have additional problems and that is preventing you from running, so I guess it's a different situation. Anyways, keep us updated if anything changes or improves further.

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ