Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI Info  (Read 15586 times)

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
Re: MACI Info
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »
Hope your success continues!  Sounds like you are doing awesome!  thanks for the updat!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline goobervision

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Morning all!

6 Weeks today, over the past two weeks I have been 25% weight bearing, hopefully 50% and no brace today. 

I have bought a static bike and am doing 2 x 30mins sessions daily, the quads didn't like getting going at first and felt crampy (but not cramp if that makes sence) but this is OK now.  I'm hoping to get the resistance up soon to start to push the muscles and then to the gym?

The only real problem I have had was about two weeks ago, after sitting with my knee straight for a while it became difficult to bend on the odd occasion.  After about a week this settled down, most of the pain on a bend seems to be from scar tissue from the op under my patella rather than the knee itself.  Bends are good and I really want to do more.

Alan

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
Keep it up, Alan.  Sounds like it's going well.  You are way ahead of where I was being able to do an hour a day on the bike.  I was at 15 minutes or so, max.  Congrats :)

Kim
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline goobervision

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
Morning all,

Just thought I would update, rather than post the same things on two threads:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=49871.msg489211#msg489211

All is well, I hope everyone else is OK and doing well.   Starting to feel some preasure from work to get back at it but I think getting my knee right is much more important!  Starting to creep towards FWB, looking at my protocol I need to so 30 mins on the static bike (check) or 1-2 miles walking (that sounds hard, but I think I may give it a go in the crutches if only to see the outside world).

And.... As I am a microGeek still I can't reply to PMs (sorry thevoice), must post more....

Offline Crazynasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Just an update on my situation after the operation....well its been two weeks since the MACI.

My rehab schedule is quite different to alot of people on this forum, as I was given a hinge brace and told to keep that on for only a week, 4 weeks tip toe and then 2 weeks pwb....i am not quite sure why it would be different for alot of people...can only assume it is due the position/size of the defect. Oh yes I was also asked to remove the staples after 2 weeks....im assuming that is the same for everyone...quite gruesome imagery to be honest!

Anyway my recovery upto now has been going well...although the last few days the pain has increased...more so after removing the secured pins! My bend is improving and as far I can tell it is about 75 degrees, with alot of strain....so I am moving there slowly. I am keeping up with the exercises...lots of leg raises and ankle stretches.

Guys I am worried about the pain....as it has increased significantly...was that normal after you removed your pins...I am still taking the medication and hope for the best.

Hope you guys are all recovering well!

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 02:05:32 AM »
Hi there

It sounds like you have a very different protocol to the one I had (straight braced for 6 weeks).  The pain meds controlled my pain quite well for the first 8 weeks, but you have more bend than I did at 2 weeks.

If the pain is causing you problems, it's worth contacting your OS (for peace of mind if nothing else) and also see your GP (or whomever) for pain management.  Are you also under a PT?  Could you cut back on any activities?
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline aussieknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:09 AM »
Hello All

I have spent all afternoon reading people's comments as I am due for my surgery in 1 week.  Boy has this been inciteful!!  Thank you all for sharing and I really hope going forward I can keep in touch for good old "moral support".
I think you are all very brave and commend you all on your recovery and rehab!
I'm in Australia and have really struggled to find any connections here with anyone who has had or is about to have a MACI - I have felt very "On my own".
I do have a question though:
In addittion to the MACI I am having a tibial tubercle elevation with bone grafts.  This will run vertically down my shin bone - is this a TTT?  As most I have read up on regarding TTT's are a wedge insert not a long running saw cut.
I am informed my NWB period will be for atleast 9 weeks.  I am having an extended anaesthetic as well as a nerve block for analgesia.  I am expecting to be on crutches for atleast 3 months and intensive physio though I cannot get a regime out of my OS as he says we need to wait until post op.

Anyway feeling VERY anxious (though had many surgeries before) and am hoping to make some new connections here to keep my spirits up.
Has everyone done a post surgery thread?
Thanks all

Aussie Girl with Aussie knee!
1994 Lateral Release
2000 Proximal Re-alignment of Patella

Offline ACE UK

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
HI Aussieknee,

I am trying to research the same as you at the moment.
I think i will be having similar procedures to yourself in a few months. Either ACI or MACI for patello femoral joint and FULKERSONS so will be keen to follow your progress.
Got arthroscopy and lateral release on the other knee in a couple of weeks.
Best of luck with the op.

ACE UK   :P

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2010, 12:43:52 AM »
Hi AussieKnee

I don't think everyone does a post-op diary.  I know I didn't.  So much of what I could say has already been said by so many more eloquent people than myself.

I think that what you'll be having is a type of TTT.  There appear to be a variety of names depending on how it is done and where the tubercle is moved to.

I can understand being very nervous about your upcoming surgery.  It seems as though the OS has left you with large gaps of knowledge/understanding of what you're in for.  One thing that might be worth checking is what they will do to minimise your risk of developing scar tissue.  Will you be on a CPM early or what?  Can't really indicate what might be likely as it's not clear where your lesions are but I'm guessing the PFJ is involved as you're having a TTT.

I can't understand why your OS is not letting you know what protocol you will be following.  There may be some adjustments post-op but it will be based on some standard.  I had an adjusted protocol for patella/trochlea implants but the basics were covered.  But if you know what areas are being treated you can find some protocols online that will give you a basic idea, but bear in mind that your protocol will be adjusted to take account of your TTT.

Finally, welcome to the club and sorry you have to go through all of this.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:47 AM »
G'day AussieKnee,
welcome to the board & the joys of it all hahah.

I am in Canberra & 4 weeks post op MACI today - two grafts, LFC & Trochlea but only MACI. I was expecting to be NWB post surgery but this was not the case & I have been WB as tolerated in brace, on crutches, since day 1. CPM is not popular here, a bit no-no with my surgeon. I saw the surgeon exactly one week post op where he gave me a printed protocol to follow as approved by genzyme with his adjustments i.e. WB as tolerated. I stared my formal PT today.

All the best for you surgery; happy for you to contact me via email if you would prefer.

Cheers,
7of9
May 22 2013 RK LR & medial capsular plication, debridement, meniscus repair
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI
Nov 4 2009 LK scope - meniscus repair, debridement,      biopsy for MACI

Offline aussieknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »
Thank you all so much for your very kind welcome  :)

7of9 - nice to chat with another aussie - although these brits are just charming! lol
I'm not really sure on what my OS thinks of CPM but will find out soon enough.

Rennschnecke - thanks for your kind words - my surgeon mentioned he had a sheet somewhere abnd would get his secretary to fish it out but when I asked her she was a bit vague about it and said it all depends on how the surgery goes.  So I guess I have not pushed the issue to far as I had been forwarned (by OS) that the post surgery physio would be intense and a major committment/interuption to my life - hence I have been putting this dam surgery off for over 18 months now!!

Will be happy to have it over and am really looking forward to a healthier knee.

ACE - Best wishes to you on the lateral release xx

Thank you all again - I'm sure my family is tired of my knee waffle!!

1994 Lateral Release
2000 Proximal Re-alignment of Patella

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
Aussieknee, everyone here will understand how your knee is your life and vice versa.  We also understand the feeling that we're boring everyone else about it too.  Hard to know what to say when people ask if you're getting better ... :-[

This is a place where people vent when it all gets too much as well as share so that you don't feel isolated.

Good luck with all your preparations for the forthcoming op.  There's some great tips on this board about what is useful for the early days.

support