Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here...  (Read 759 times)

Offline KIMZKIDZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here...
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »
Hi everyone! Here's my short intro :)
37yr mom of 3..
Tore ACL in 2002 playing soccer (outdoor), patellar recon. that fall...
Back to soccer 8 mths later, quit after tearing adductor muscle during a tripping
Began ice hockey.
Hurt same knee 6 wks ago (tripped, fell funny) I still wear a pull on hinged breg brace. Knee locks up, hurts at night, stiff, etc
Went back to surgeon twice and am scheduled for arthroscopy on the 30th of this month. Chondromalacia is his diagnosis, but wont know for sure till he's in there (wouldn't do a MRI due to prior recon/scar tissue) Also removing my lower screw from ACL recon. that is now coming out of the bone.
He said 2 to 3 wks off of hockey , then i'LL Be back..
Any truth to this ? :)

Left ACL patella recon..2004
Left scope 2007

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: New here...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:45:56 PM »
Sure it's true that it's possible to be back that fast, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. A lot depends on what is found when he gets in there. When I went in for shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago my doctor said I'd be back to normal in a month. Unfortunately, there was a lot of damage so now it's more like 3-6 months for rehab. So there's no guarantees. It is possible to have an MRI. I've had one even with a prior ACL recon and one screw left in my knee. There was distortion around the screw but my doctor was still able to see what he needed to see.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:05:15 AM »
Hi and welcome!

I'd take the surgeons opinion as a best case scenario. They tend to forget about muscle atrophy and stuff, and only look at it from the perspective of the surgery and subsequent healing from that. You have been a while in a brace, and probably limping, which could have resulted in muscle weakness (atrophy) in your leg(s). It takes time to build that up again. You don't want to play sport until you have good strong muscles to protect the joints. My surgeon said 10 days off work, and it's been 3 weeks so far. Though 10 days was about right for pain decrease and normal movement - if I'd had the surgery before everything weakened then his estimate may have been more accurate. My suggestion would be to take his estimate as a rough timescale but don't plan anything too active without a back up plan in case things don't happen that quickly. It also depends on what surgery ends up finding too. Good to get it over with though. Do lots of straight leg raises in the meantime to help build up your quads - it helps!
Good luck, and best wishes for your surgery.
Kathy

trainwreck

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:48:59 AM »
everyone heals differently and at different rates.  it is possible to be back that quickly.  i would go in assuming you will be back that quick.  if you aren't oh well.  i think your mental state has a lot to do with how quickly we heal.  it is just a scope and shouldn't be a big deal unless they get in there and find a lot more damage than expected.  you just have to enter into it knowing i will probably be back to normal quickly and if i'm not i will deal with it then.  i personally find being positive and expecting the best outcome works for me.  i know other people have to attack it assuming the worst case scenario and if it is quicker great.

good luck to you and hope you are one of the ones who does heal quickly with no problems.

trainwreck 

support