Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee gives way..unstable  (Read 769 times)

Offline Golfinbev

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee gives way..unstable
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well went on vacation last week.........and my knee gave way.............only for a sec....I would feel fine for a while then all of a sudden go out again..or give way...this week.......has gotten worse its lasting  longer...goes out more often when I walk ..& hurt ..then all of a sudden I can't walk again...I saw my Dr. assiant Monday...I am going to try PT for two or three weeks.then maybe a scope to see whats going on........anyone ever have this problem...not sure if i should use crutches???...like i said one min. I am fine the next I can't walk pain is to great!!!!........... 

Offline maria1985

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee gives way..unstable
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »
hiya
sorry to here about your knee. it's a pain when its constantly giving way, i no as i'm having the same problem. try the physio and see how things go, i wouldn't recommend using crutches unless your doctor or physio advises you to, if you still not sure speak to either one of them and ask for their opinion about the crutches they should beable to help you with any questions you have.

keep us posted

maria.xx
chronic knee pain since 10 years old.
lateral release in 2000
goldwaithes in 2002
2 weeks intensive physio in 2005
nowhere near to finding the course of the problem.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: Knee gives way..unstable
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:25:41 AM »
Where's the pain? Front or back, right or left, surface or deep? Is it giving way due to the pain, or does it give way and the pain come after? I've started having sharp pains behind one knee that have caused it to give way because the pain has been so sharp. I am at a loss as to what is causing my pain too, though I think I'm pinching something or have a tear/debris somewhere because I can wiggle my knee around and the pain goes away completely, and the pain is sharp when it is there. Does anything relieve yours? How's your muscle strength? Somethimes weak muscles can cause a joint to give way which then puts strain on other structures of the joint and can cause injury there. What about the type of pain - sharp, burning, gnawing, aching, stabbing, dull, does it radiate anywhere, is it a quick stab or lingering? Keep note of all the questions I've asked and write down the answers - if you see an OS or PT they'll ask you much the same and being able to think about the answers beforehand will help you give a clearer picture to them. I wouldn't use crutches unless recommended. Rest as much as possible though, with your leg up. And ice regularly too. If you really feel you need crutches then give your physio a quick call and explain why you think you need them and see what answer you get. You'll probably be told to REST, REST, REST!! (Boy, I hate that answer sometimes! I am so sick of rest).
Good luck and keep us posted.
Kathy  :)

support