Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Numbness & Tingling After Meniscus Surgery  (Read 8105 times)

Offline cmazerov

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Numbness & Tingling After Meniscus Surgery
« on: October 14, 2007, 12:35:25 AM »
This is my first posting and I am not exactly sure where I am suppose to post. 

I had a torn meniscus repaired about 5 months ago.  I have have ongoing pain in the area of my knee since the surgery.  Several months ago I developed sciatic problems up the back of both legs.  I have had 3 cortisone injections in my back that has reduced almost all of the sciatic pain.  At the same time I have experienced numbness & tingling from the front of my knee down my leg to my toes.  During this time, I had 3 injections of "chicken comb" substance into the fat pad of my knee with no relief from the knee pain.  Ortho doctor thinks pain injections from pain doctor will solve these tingling & numbness problems and only seems to want to keep injecting knee with synthetic joint lubricant which is very painful and not helping.  Had cortisone injection in knee two weeks ago (from pain dr when doing last back injection) which seems to have relieved some of the knee pain but the tingling & numbness continues and makes sleeping difficult.  Had EMG nerve testing which indicates sciatic problems.  I have had so many tests and seen so many doctors I don't know where to go from here.

Connie 

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Numbness & Tingling After Meniscus Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 12:57:32 AM »
Hi Connie,

You should be able to find lots of help here.  You can also look at the menisucs post area for more if you need it.

I don't know much about sciatic pain so don't know if it can be causing the numbness down the front of the legs.  You did not say when you had the (synvisc, orthovisc or whichever lubricant) injections.  I also tried them with no results but it does or can take several weeks before you notice any help.  Did they repair the menisucs and not remove the torn piece?  This too is something different if it was a repair and I don't know if this can be causing you any problems.  My understanding from reading other posts is that a repair is a longer rehab than removing the torn piece.

I do wish you the best and hope that one of the doctors can figure out what is causing the problem and eliminate it.

Good luck and be well.  Let me know how you are doing.

Deborah

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 08:30:49 AM »
Curious about what pain injections your pain doc will give you, do you know ?
Are you talking about blocks ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline cmazerov

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:53:59 PM »

Curious about what pain injections your pain doc will give you, do you know ?
Are you talking about blocks

Sorry I wasn't more precise, I have gotten 3 cortisone shots in my back trying to ease the sciatic pain.

Offline cmazerov

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:09:47 AM »
Hi Connie,

You should be able to find lots of help here.  You can also look at the menisucs post area for more if you need it.

I don't know much about sciatic pain so don't know if it can be causing the numbness down the front of the legs.  You did not say when you had the (synvisc, orthovisc or whichever lubricant) injections.  I also tried them with no results but it does or can take several weeks before you notice any help.  Did they repair the menisucs and not remove the torn piece?  This too is something different if it was a repair and I don't know if this can be causing you any problems.  My understanding from reading other posts is that a repair is a longer rehab than removing the torn piece.

I do wish you the best and hope that one of the doctors can figure out what is causing the problem and eliminate it.

Good luck and be well.  Let me know how you are doing.

Deborah

Deborah,

Thanks for your reply.  I believe they repaired the meniscus and trimmed off some ragged edges but I am not certain.  They found a little arthritis but not bad for a 65 year old knee.I had quite a bit of swelling after surgery and about four weeks after surgery they drained about 12 cc's of liquid from my knee and replaced it with first lubricant shot.  I had a second shot about a week later and then the third about a month later.  The shots were very painful and it seems like I had alot more pain for a couple of weeks after every shot.  I finally stopped going for them

I got the impression that neither the Pain Dr nor the Ortho Dr think the numbness and tingling down the front of my leg is sciatic but I am getting little in the way of answers.  I am starting to think that it is some kind of nerve damage.  I have my last appointment with Pain Dr next week and then will go back and see the Ortho the following week.  I just donb't know where to go from here.

Connie
[/font][/color]

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 05:49:55 AM »
Ask the pain doc to do more tests to really find out what nerves are involved. Should be able to point that out pretty easy.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.