Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chronic knee pain/swelling for ~12 months  (Read 1345 times)

Offline eab84

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chronic knee pain/swelling for ~12 months
« on: October 13, 2007, 07:00:37 AM »
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting anything.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has similar problems.  My knees have mild effusion and always feel like the knee caps shift or grate when i extend my knees.  They also pop quite frequently with flexion.  The heat and standing for extended periods make my knees swell and feel uncomfortably stiff below my knee caps.  I had my right knee scoped in May and had a partial menisectomy and thought that would cure my right knee.  Now the left has been having tenderness at the inferior/lateral area of near my patella.  Worried it might be a meniscal tear but the OS told me it's probably not a tear.  No one can seem to tell me why my knees are so sensitive to swelling in the heat and think it's probably PFS.  Really fed up as i cannot do much activity and haven't ran in nearly a year.  Just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing similar problems.  PLEASE HELP!!!

Offline april

• Regular Poster
Re: Chronic knee pain/swelling for ~12 months
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
Hi there, I'm wondering if any of your drs have considered that it may be a fat pad irritation? It is supposed to be accompanied by "puffyness" and pain of the fat pads.(the "fleshy" portions on either side of the patellar tendon). Mine tends to get pinched more on the medial side of the knee, and it also tends to get aggravated by standing... maybe it's the lateral side for you?

Offline eab84

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »
Actually i recently began seeing a PT and she thought the fat pads might be part of the cause, but my knees are always have a clicking/grating feeling when i extend my legs.  Does that sensation generally go away with time.  They've been doing that for probably the better part of nine months.  Just really frustrated with what seems like endless problems.  I'm sure it could always be worse though.  Thanks

Offline jennR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:15:16 AM »
 :'(Hey there,
this is my first time posting as well. I have a simular story.  I  am a 28 year old mother of three very active boys who are the age of 5, 3 and 1.  So I have no time to be in pain.
Here is my story:
 Four years ago I was injured at work by a child during a soccer game. At the moment that my left foot ( my dominate) came in contact with the ball one of my students came around from behind me to steal it. He and i made contact causing him to fall from my left side. When he was falling to the black top i reached for him causing my knee to shift to the right and popped.  I was sent for a workers comp case , I recieved an x-ray and one session of PT.  OOOOH, did that help!  Not!!! :o. Any way the pain lasted for several months and went away totally until now.  12 weeks ago I was showing off in a tipsy stupper and I jumped from about a six foot drop to my feet.  When I woke the next day I was in so much pain.   I want to my family DR who sent me to my OS.  My OS sent me for x-rays and an MRI which surprisingly came back normal with some unclrearness. So He sent me for three weeks of PT which did not help.  Now 12 weeks into the pain, I was sent for another MRI with the die injection.  OUCH! I was not expecting so much pain.  My knee was injected at the joint and was filled with 1/3 of a cup of the die.  Expected to walk to the MRI machine, I almost calapsed in pain. And of course this MRI had nothing new to tell us although it did rule out some of his possibilities causing him to diagnose me as having a fat pad issue.  "WHAT You, think my knee is over weight?!?"  I left the office today thinking this guy is insain. but I searched the web for several hours and found out that this is a common injury.
My symtoms include:   Pain, tenderness under my knee cap,  my knee seems to give out at times.  The pain wakes me up at night so I'm rolling from one side to another.  stairs, bending at the knee, kneeling, standind or sitting with out moving my knee causes me pain as well.  mild loss of knee extension,clicking in the anterior part of the knee.The pain is well localized to the front of the knee or to the side of the patella tendon.
The pain is usually sharp and can last for several hours or days once provoked.
Going up and down steps or squatting will aggravate the symptoms.

IF you have any suggestions for me I would be greatful.
Thanks,
Jenn

support