Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: WALKING AFTER LATERAL RELEASE......  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Coletrickle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
WALKING AFTER LATERAL RELEASE......
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:52:43 AM »
I just had surgery on my right knee two weeks ago, doc performed Lateral Release, Mini arthrotomy, Medial Imbrication, and Debridement. I'm still on crutches, I've been trying to put some weight on it here and there with the use of my crutches. Today I tried to stand with out them and put more weight on it with my immobilizer, but my leg is so weak it wants to give out. I don't really have any pain standing on it just a lot of pressure. How long did it take you all before you could be weight bearing or walk with out the crutches???

Thanks, Coletrickle

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: WALKING AFTER LATERAL RELEASE......
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Hi,
I had bilateral lateral release and chondroplasty and was walking with no aids from day one. Was not even given the option of crutches, immobilisers, or anything else. It felt weird to start but improved. I'm nearly three weeks down the track and my knees still feel odd but my physio pointed out that on top of surgery that has changes the biodynamics of my knee, I have very wasted quads so there's not much support for my knees. If you have been on crutches for two weeks then your quads have probably given up the ghost. When Mum broke her arm and had it immobilised for weeks her physio told her that it takes just as long to get muscles back to full strength as it did to lose the strength in the first place - which for her was about 8 weeks (8 weeks immobilised, slowly losing arm strength, then 8 weeks to re-gain that strength). So you have at least two weeks of work to get your leg back to where it was before surgery (which may not have been that good if you favoured your right knee). So keep on putting weight through it to keep the muscles firing, and do any exercises you have been prescribed. A physio would be useful if you haven't seen one yet. And keep up the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) before and after exercise to control the swelling. Good luck. Hope all goes well. Kathy.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:15:58 PM »
Me too, walking from day 0 even.

Just take it easy and take one step at the time!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

brianne

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
I was 100% off crutches by 1 week post-op after a LR.  I would have been off a few days sooner, but it was winter and so I needed to use them outside.

Of course you had other work done, so that could make it harder to be weight bearing.  It will be strange beginning to walk, but it will get easier as time goes on.

Offline bomo529

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 03:13:48 PM »
Hi, Coletrickle.  I had nothing done but a LR in June '06.  I was NWB on crutches for 1 week.  Then my doctor told me to start using one crutch and wean myself off of them.  I would still take 2 crutches when I went out because I was VERY unstable.  I would try to walk around the house without any crutches, but I was holding onto the bed, the countertop, anything I could.  It probably took me a good 4-5 weeks to feel like I could walk without falling and even then uneven terrain would get me sometimes. 

I heard from a lot of people that they didn't use crutches or were walking a day or two afterwards, and I thought that something was wrong with me.  Just remember that everyone heals differently.  Hope this helps.

Molly   
6/06 - (R) LR
12/07 - (R) Open Extensor Mechanism Repair, Lateral Patellotibial Ligament Reconstruction

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »
I was non weight bearing for two weeks and one month, but the one month was because I had complications and required further surgery.  I started partial weight bearing on my own, even though my PT didn't want me to, she was afraid I was going to fall and hurt myself, but I just kind of felt when the time was right for me... just gradually increasing the amount of time I was weight bearing on it, and also increasing the distance I went on it... It took a long time to feel somewhat normal again... but I was weight bearing from two weeks... fully just taking it easy. It's best to ask your OS and/or PT what they think, every OS has a different protocol, some people are weight bearing imediately post op.. depending on the surgeon.. and the knee.  My OS was ideally two weeks... but obviously with my complications it was a month.. which was really frustrating, but my leg needed time to heal.
GOODLUCK
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 04:24:23 AM »
My apologies, I didn't mean to make you feel inadequate by saying I was walking by day one!! Just re-read my post and didn't like the way it sounded. I meant to say that from the lateral release/debridement side of things, there is no harm to be done by walking early if you are able. This is just the protocol of the OS. I can tell you right now that there have been days I would have killed for some crutches, or even a walking stick. If you have been given the okay to weight bear (considering the medial imbrication) then just take it at your pace. It's good that you don't have pain in it, and weakness is to be expected. Just do small amounts regularly (rather than one big effort then recover for ages) and you'll improve. Keep up the good work!
Kathy

Offline BethVictoria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 06:15:31 AM »
I had a lateral release in 2001 and it hurt to walk for a good 10 weeks post-surgery (of course, it hurt really bad for the first four days or so).  I was walking with a cane for two days after the procedure.  I had debridement, too, but not the other procedures you mentioned. 

Hope your surgery was successful - mine was not   >:(

Offline lisal11

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 02:13:25 AM »
I had LR, cartiledge clean up and plica removal. I was walking immediately after surgery but then I also had some good pain killers.  ;D

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »
Recovering sucessfully from a lateral release doesn't depend on whether you were walking from day 1 or after several weeks. It depends on the situation pre LR and how rehab has been done at PT (good exercises regaining good muscle strenght). I already said I was walking from the day I had surgery, still the LR failed. The TTT was a big success though, am more active than I have ever been since then. Currently rehabbing from an ankle dislocation with avulsion fracture :-\, but again all goes well and 6 weeks after my injury I am playing badminton again  :D

Good luck, hope I too didn't offend anyone  :-[

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline carnevn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 09:22:46 PM »
I just had a LR go horribly wrong... so mad i didn't look at this forum before. Anyway considering having a lateral patelotibial ligament reconstruction done. Anyone experience this before?

support