Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fell on the bus...swollen and bad leteral pain  (Read 1779 times)

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Fell on the bus...swollen and bad leteral pain
« on: October 12, 2007, 04:51:15 AM »
Okay, here is my background.  Long time dislocation issues that resulted in a patella frature.  I had ORIF to fix the patella and 6 months later had the screws removed and a proximal alignment done to prevent the dislocations.  It has been about 14 months since I began that journey.  In the meantime, I began riding the bus because for quite awhile I could not drive.  I enjoy the ride and the lack of stress.  On the way into work I read and often I talk on the way home.

This afternoon I sat at the back of the bus because it was full.  My friend and I were deep into a conversation about her dad's ALS (makes me sad to be complaining, but...) when the bus came to an abrupt stop.  I flew off of the seat into the isle twisting my legs under me and slamming my arm into the pole.  The arm is bruised up pretty badly, but the lateral side of of the knee joint is rapidly swelling despite RICE.  I am a bit concerned that I may have torn the meniscus, but am unsure what to do right now.  I am trying to decide if I should call my GP or my OS tomorrow if the pain is still there. 

Any thoughts on what I might have done?
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Fell on the bus...swollen and bad leteral pain
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 05:50:18 AM »
Despite swelling and pain any other symptoms ?  I would take care of this leg and RICE for soma days and if not better after then call your OS.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
kimmyxs,
it might be nothing but some bruising in an already 'tender' joint.
Or it might be something else, I think you should give the RICE a couple of days, and if no joy go to OS.
Because of previous problems with your knee you might hurt more than the average person for a small injury - but I wouldnt let it run on too long, just a couple of days before further investigation.
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »
hi kimmy,
sorry no idea what you may have done but i am so sorry to hear that this happened,you were doing so well!
i know how much this will have worried you,i felt the same when i fell down the stairs.
i was only 5 weeks op at the time and fell 14 stairs and i did not damage anything so hopefully you will not have either.
pls keep me posted how you are getting on.
claire x
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
The swelling has gone down in the knee.  My arm is really, really bruised and sore, but the knee feels better. The interesting news was that the drivers supervisors met her at the main downtown stop on her round trip.  Someone apparently called and complained.  Tat pleased me, but it was not me who called.

I see my GP for a stress test and biopsy on Thrurday so I will askk her what she thinks.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:14:46 AM »
Hi,
Im so glad to hear your knee feels better, maybe you just bruised it. That sounds like a plan to check it with your GP on thursday.

I read somewhere over the weekend that Arnica is great for bruises - its a homeopathic remedy - I dont know what you do with it, do you drink it or rub it on or what, but theyd know in a health food shop.

Hope your arm feels better soon.
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:23:12 AM »
HI,

I'm pleased for you that the swelling has gone down and I'm assuming your knee is less painful because of it too. Hopefuly you have done nothing more than bruise it but as you can't see inside your knee, it may be worth at least informing your OS of what happened. If he knows about it, he can decide if he needs to see you or no as you may have soft tissue injuries that may not yet have come to light.

Witchhazel is something I used for years on bruises nd swollen areas and it helped me a lot. It may be worth a try if you run into difficulty with you knee again for no apparent reason (ie it swells or feels tender).

In the first instance, if you don't think you've done anything serious then a visit to your GP would be sensible, if only to put the accident "on record" so to speak. This way, should you make a claim for compensation, the medical records are there already.

I hope you're back to normal soon.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline hil13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »
Hi Kimmy
I think you should go to your GP. Just to see what he thinks and like Laura says it will be on your records if needed. I have used Arnica for bruising. Its a cream just rub it on. I got it in my local chemist. I've used the witch hazel too for swelling, again from local chemist. Both work well.

But I know it knocks you for six when you fall again after what you've been though.

I fell in May this year and whatever way I fell, I tried to save my"bad knee" and fractured the other ankle.

Hope your feeling better.

Good luck
Hil