Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Questions about OATS rehab  (Read 1474 times)

Offline T2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Questions about OATS rehab
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:02:56 PM »
My OS has recently diagnosed chondromalacia in my right knee, with an osteochondral injury (3mm wide, I believe, although it's hard to tell from my notes whether that referred to the injury or to the marrow edema also noted) on the lateral femoral condyle and a "focal signal abnormality" on the medial femoral condyle.  I had some pain and reduced range of motion for a little while, but the knee swelled up and became more painful after getting jammed when my dog suddenly pulled hard on his leash.  Now, a couple of weeks later, the swelling is gone, but I have a constant ache (which gets worse as the day goes on) and clicking in my knee, with occasional sharp pains. 

My OS recommended OATS and said I could be weight-bearing the next day.  After some research, the weight-bearing claim sounds fishy to me.  Is that really possible?  I stay at home with two small kids, so I really can't imagine being on crutches for weeks or months (I think that's part of why the OS recommended OATS over microfracture).  For that matter, I can't imagine spending hours every day on rehab.  Am I going to have to get a grandparent to move in with us, or is the rehab not necessarily as bad as I've heard?  I'd appreciate hearing any advice or experiences you have.  Thanks.

Offline mineemowse

• Regular Poster
Re: Questions about OATS rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:19:59 PM »
Hi T2!

I had an OATS procedure on 10/5/06. It sounds very funny to me to say that you would be weight bearing the next day. The way it was told to me was, the pieces that they are inserting into your knee are like "mini corks" to cover the injured area. If you take an already opened wine bottle and consistently hit it on the table - eventually, the reinserted cork will pop out. That's how the OATS procedure is. The pieces need time to heal into the knee.

I was non-weight bearing - not even touching my toe to the floor - for 2.5 weeks. I just sat on the couch as I'm not good with crutches at all. My oldest (college) would come home from school on his lunch to make sure I made it up the stairs to the rest room and brought me lunch - then he was off again. At night, everyone would take turns getting ice in my ice machine, bringing me food and putting me in the CPM machine. I was pretty helpless.

At three weeks I went back to work - wayyyy too soon. I can't fathom having little ones to take care of at the same time!

Rehab was 3x per week for a bit over 2 months.

It's definately not a fun surgery, but what one really is.....

Good Luck with your procedure - if there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to email me.

Donna
'98 torn meniscus
'99 arthriscopy repair
'02 cartilidge replacement injections
July '06 arthriscopy cleanup
Oct. '06 Oats Allograft procedure (failed)
May '07 arthriscopy cleanup
Dec. 3 '07 - TKR

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:25:21 AM »
Just a thought...maybe that depends on what area the OATS is done.. :)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline mineemowse

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
Good Point, Nettan - I didn't think of that  ???

T2 - mine was left knee interior meniscus area - my cartilage was almost gone there and my dr. used a piece of cadaver cartilage to mend itl

As Nettan was kind enough to point out, though   :) - it probably depends where the procedure is on your knee.

Donna
'98 torn meniscus
'99 arthriscopy repair
'02 cartilidge replacement injections
July '06 arthriscopy cleanup
Oct. '06 Oats Allograft procedure (failed)
May '07 arthriscopy cleanup
Dec. 3 '07 - TKR

Offline T2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  The defects I have I think aren't all that big, but they are on the weight-bearing part of the femur, which is why I found what the doctor said to be a little strange.  I'm getting a second opinion next week from an OS who I think has more experience with OATS.  As for the rehab, it really doesn't sound like something I could manage with a 9-month-old scooting around the house, so I might have to postpone the surgery until I can get more help.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 02:04:19 PM »
I doubt that things will be easier when the 9 month old start walking around..unless you can have someone with you to help you out.
I hope this second opinion will be a good one. Be sure also get a good phys that knows the rehab procedures for OATS.
I would never go ahead with a surgery if you don't feel confident with the doc.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support