Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Old knee injury flaring up under stress  (Read 1690 times)

Offline freerangecat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Old knee injury flaring up under stress
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
Hi. Long story, but please bear with me!

Approx 10 years ago I fell off my bike, landed with kneecap through, and twisted slightly, between flat bars of a cattlegrid... As I walked off I could bend the knee but something seemed to press in from the top of my kneecap, and bending my knee completely, once, to try and cycle off caused an explosion of pain. I could hardly bend it for 2 weeks afterwards but had no medical advice/treatment.

For a few years afterwards v long train journeys where I couldn't straighten it made it ache.

This year its really played up. At easter I had a long weekend climbing,lots of steep walk-ins with heavy sack. It never swelled up, but really ached, especially downhill, and didnt completely settle for a few weeks. Its niggled since under similar stress, especially at my first exercise class last night, which had lots of squats etc.After a few minutes I was getting almost a burning under the kneecap as I stood up.  It eased off by the next morning though.

So... does anyone have a clue what I might have done in the first place, or what's happening now, and what sort of support to put on it during exercise to help with the pain. It never seems to swell up or have limited movement, just hurts round and under kneecap.

For background, I'm 24 years old, female, not at all overweight, walk for around half an hour a day and climb once a week.

Thanks
Cat

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Old knee injury flaring up under stress
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:34:07 PM »
Sounds like you did some damage 10 years ago. Now would be a good time to have a doctor check it out. Might just be tendinitis from overuse and that will require lots of rest for your knee.

Offline freerangecat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:15:57 PM »
Hmm am starting to think I really ought to see someone.  I can ignore it a lot of the time, but sometimes, when I push it, it quite hurts- just absent-mindedly started running up the stairs to my office, and got a stab of pain.  Doesn;t normally hurt when I do this, but must be not quite settled from the class I did on Tuesday.  Tendonitis would be more chronic pain that occasional wouldn't it?

Cat

Offline krisvanhofwegen4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »
I feel your pain!I've been fighting for 3 years w/ on again off again knee pain. Just when I think GOOD I can do the normal stuff again, BAM!!! The knee gets sore! Can't go to the mall for long, can't walk at the beach ,can't stand for long! A few weeks ago Walking through the kithen my knee couldn't hold weight, I felt a sharp pain under my knee cap everytime I walked!!!! I had Chondroplasty of the patellofemoral seugery in April 07. Hasen't helped! I try very hard to not complain, but I want a normal life again! I've gained weight and want to get it off! KNEE pain is the PITTS!!!!!! I just want to have fun with my kids again and play! IT SUCKS GETTING OLD !!!

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »
Cat I would go see an OS so you'll know if something is wrong and and what can be done about it!

Good luck!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support