Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE - Do I or Don't I????  (Read 912 times)

Offline pekarokiki

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP PLEASE - Do I or Don't I????
« on: October 11, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »
Hi - I have just registered here and am probably doing this totally wrong.  Is there anybody out there that could give me a bit of advice.

I am 48yrs old with 2 young children 7 and 9yrs.  I was a regular gym goer and also rode my bike regularly and swim.  Summer 06 I twisted my knee, the results of an MRI are that there is a complete tear of the ACL and a tear of the Medial Meniscus.  I had an arthroscopy earlier this year which confirmed the MRI but I also have Grade 3 arthritis in the knee.

I've been given a date today of 26 October to go in and have reconstruction using the hamstring.

Since the injury I haven't really pushed the knee (out of fear) so I can't say 100% what my limitations are - on occasion it does get a bit wobbly.
My consultant was all for the op but when I went for my pre-op, the nurse I saw was all doom & gloom re success of op and recovery and possibly problems caused by the op.  My mind is now in turmoil as to whether to have it done or not.
I don't want to have to restrict myself too much because of the kids and also, because of the arthritis (which, at present I don't have any problems with) if I don't have the op will this cause more problems later.
What I really need is for somebody to tell me - yes, it's going to be a great success - go for it?????? Or, noway, it'll not make any difference - steer clear???????

Any advice please?

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: HELP PLEASE - Do I or Don't I????
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
Hi,
I dont have a direct answer to your question but I do have some advice for you.

Can you check with the OS the success rates of this type of surgery and possible complications?
Can you tell the OS your experiences with the nurse and ask who is telling the right story here?
Can you ask the OS to put you in contact with other people who have had a similiar surgery and ask their experiences?
Can you go for a second opinion?

Im having an unrelated but similiar issue in that Ive an OS totally against surgery, but a physio who keeps telling me i DO need surgery. Ive phoned my OS's office and explained this and am awaiting a call back.

Its VERY confusing when the professionals dont agree, I would be inclined to think that the OS knows more than the nurse, but then you gotta wonder why she would say this at all etc....

You need answers from the OS himself on the questions above.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kateplate

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
Hi - I haven't had the same problems as you, but I have been struggling with ongoing cartilage probs and neuralgia since 2005, and have had 2 MRI's and 3 arthroscopies and 2 yrs of phsyio. The reason I've put myself through this is because I have 3 kids (2, 4 and 14) and I want to give myself the best chance of getting out there again with them and having fun at a level I can manage! Ultimately it's the surgeon who will advise you and perform the op, the pre op nurse won't even be in theatre with you and is probably making you feel bad because it's her job to advise you of the risks. It's like saying you have a chance of slipping over on a wet floor in the supermarket, hence the warning cones. It ISN'T going to happen but they have to tell you anyway! if you don't go ahead with this and your pain and symptoms (and confidence) worsen, then you will always regret it.

Go for it and good luck. K
Dec '05 RK plm; Dec '06 RK plm&pmm; Sept '07 LK pmm. Jan '09 LK pmm and synovial joint repair / removal of fat pad.
March '09 insertion of spinal cord stimulator for permanent nerve damage in L leg.

Offline pekarokiki

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »
Hi and thanks to both of you for replying.

I've actually spoken to the hospital again and they are going to get a physio to call me back - hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment to see them and have a chat. I thought they'd probably be best as they see the 'afters' don't they?  I'll also try tanyap's suggestion about speaking to the OS - you're right, when you get conflicting advice it doesn't help. They're the medical people and as you say should at least agree on things.
I feel the same as Kateplate re the kids - I just want to get back out there with them messing around and joining in instead of sitting on the sidelines worrying that something else is going to happen.
Well, I've got 2 weeks to make a decision - let's just hope it's the right one.
Thanks again and good luck to both of you - hope you get yours sorted out.

K

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
The pre-op nurse is not qualified to give you advice and she really had no right to offer any. If you want another expert opinion you should see another orthopedic surgeon. While nobody can guarantee you a successful recovery from an ACL reconstruction, in general, it's a very successful operation. Keep in mind that people that write on message boards have generally had complications. But there are many more people out there that had successful surgery.

When I tore my ACL they didn't have reconstructive surgery. All they could do was remove the ligament completely. The lack of stability resulted in a torn meniscus within six months and walking on both for many years caused arthritis. Eventually I had the ACL reconstructed and it was a great success. It has been 17 years since surgery and it's still intact and strong. I can say the same for the torn meniscus. After 34 years I ended up needing a partial knee replacement. That was, by far, the worse injury for me. My brother had his ACL rebuilt at age 50 and he has not had any problems after seven years.