Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain remedy...maybe!  (Read 1192 times)

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Life is good.
Pain remedy...maybe!
« on: October 11, 2007, 04:22:27 AM »
So I went to my dentist because I had a toothache on a tooth he'd just worked on (whole 'nother story...) and he told me to take a regimen of Aleve (naproxen sodium 222 mg) once in AM and once in evening, and Extra Strength Tylenol (Acetominophen 500 mg) every four hours.  He went on to say that this particular combination is being used for analgesia - pain management - for individuals with addiction problems who can't/prefer not to take narcotics.  He said the combination inhibits the production of (I think he said) prostaglandins by mast cells (?) which has the result of inhibiting pain. 
Well, I thought, sure, sounds like a bunch of hooey.  But like a good patient I went and got the Aleve and Tylenol (generic actually) and took it as he suggested.
Darned if my knees aren't improved - I'm talking about 75-80%.  And my head is clear, unlike when I use my other pain pills.
I don't know why it works, maybe I'm having a good day, although this is day 2 and I usually don't have more than one good day at a time.  Maybe it's a placebo effect.  Who cares.
Anyone else ever hear of this?
--Denise
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Pain remedy...maybe!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:45:27 AM »
Yes I have heard of that also.  Matter-of-fact my regular physician has told me that for years to do because of knee pain or even migraines (when I simply can't knock myself out).  He also says to mix my prescription allergy medicine with over the counter bynedryl (sp?) to get a leg up on allergies.  That one works also.  Of course I'm not a physician and would discuss my perticular situation with a doctor before trying anything.

I too found it works.  However, when I take Aleve for more than two days in a row my ears ring!  Darned side effects!!!  But you can live with ringing ears easier than hurtin knees!

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33:07 AM »
I haven't heard of that one, but I'll file it for the future. I was advised, when my back was bad, to take the maximum amount of Ibrobrufen, every 4 - 6 hours, then take full dose of Co Codamol in between. It was the only way I could control my back pain, without upsetting my stomach.

Denny
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:58:25 AM »
There are a lot of meds that ordinary is used for a special kind of diagnos but mixed with something else that can work wonders for other conditions too. Like depression and epilepsy meds used for pain. This is really a djungle, but in right hands aka docs with knowledge you can get better combinations with less side effects and might not need so strong meds.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
Be careful of mixing those two drugs, Aleve and Tylenol. It's not a good combination to take long term. Also, you can't take more than eight Tylenol in one day as they can seriously damage your liver. It will be less than that if you're also taking Aleve. A few months ago there was a news item about Tylenol being the most common drug that lands people in the hospital due to overdose. People think that just because it's over-the-counter then it must be safe.