Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bad knee problem  (Read 7146 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Bad knee problem
« on: July 14, 2003, 09:25:52 PM »
Tomboygirl posted in the wrong place, so I have moved it here, where she should get some responses.
KNEEguru
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 05:40:32 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline tomboygrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Bad knee problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 11:53:16 PM »
My partner has a 33 year old knee injury. They said he'd never walk again. All the ligaments were cut and there were pieces of cap floating around inside. To start with his right leg (injured ) is shorter from birth. He took the cast off too soon. Yup dumb kid. On down the line they wanted to rebreak his knee, clean up any scar tissue, bone spurs, redo ligaments etc. Not in the budget an probly not good for an active, "I refuse to not walk again" kind of guy. Now 33 years later it hurts all the time but recently, since the monsoons started (arthritis & bursitis?) at night it is agony. This is a man who doesn't care pain can be blocked with the mind. He is almost in tears from the pain. There is no position where it gets relief. The only way its bearable is if he keeps moving it. Hard to sleep that way. He will only take aspirin if I hand it to him with a glass of water. Even I can tell that it doesn't do any good. He tried 2cc's of flunixin meglamine (pain killer/antiinflammatory), horse dope. No relief. I know this isn't life or death but it is more quickly than slowly killing him. Please is there any new technology. I need scrap of info you can give me. I am just starting to research this. I have only tried the above. I'll try anything. Theres no $ for surgery unless he can be a guinnea pig. I might could convince him to do that if there is such a thing. He says it hurts mostly in the center of his knee. I looked at anatomy an know theres a ligament in there. Could that and other ligaments be atrophying? I rub around the cap and the ligaments on the side (collateral?) feel like stretched cables. They loosen up after a bit. I don't massage on the cap itself much for fear of water on the knee. Please help us.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 01:02:49 AM »
Hi Tomboygrl...it sounds like your partner has been through an awful lot. 

It would also help to know what country you live in...the health care systems and insurance systems are different everywhere.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers!

Kath
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 05:41:06 PM by The KNEEguru »
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline tomboygrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 05:56:33 PM »
Thanks Kath
 I live in the good ol' USA. Insurance aint in the budget. We're tracking degree of pain based on activity & weather an anything else that comes to mind. Night before last it was a drier night weather wise an he actully got to sleep. This leads me to think arthritis/bursitis. I've tried cortisone shots myself. They don't seem to help. Glucosamine & condroiton, rest and heat such as Arthritis Hot  have helped my shoulders. He tells me the old hot/cold treatment is onl;y for new injuries. Is there anything new out there I can do fo;r him? He is very stubborn.
  As I said nite for last was better. Last nite it was wet again and he co;uldn't even stay in bed or he would have woke the whole ho;use. I will try anything. ANYTHING!!!!!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 06:16:11 PM »
Oh my goodness. You're suffereing just seeing how much he's suffering. I am not particularly well informed but....

hot/cold can help with any age injury. If it might work, try it!!!

I also have a book @treat your own knees' which gives basic exercises for stengthening and taking pressure off the knee.

'The knee crisis handbook' is a much more detailed book which has lots of good stuff in it too.

Hope you'he feel better soon
xx

35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 06:29:45 PM »
He need help to figure out what's casuing this pain, what kind of pain he has.
There are different treatments if you have f.i. arthritispain or nervpain.
For nervpain as I think he has with these injuries he had, you use other meds then for other kinds of pain.
Alternatives to meds are TENS,acupunture, ultrasound and other treatment based on killing the painsignal from the knee to brain. I would definately suggest you to see a painamangement clinic. There you can sort out which pain he has and also get help from docs, to phys, for the soul and also you as a family.
I hope you can find anything to give him and yourself relief. We have a story like yours going on with me and my injuries and a pain that almost broke the whole family.
Please feel free ask me or send me a IM. I will try to help you.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 07:15:32 PM »
Where exactly are you, Tomboy?  Especially if you're near a university medical center, you might get some help free of charge in a clinical study.  You should start by calling an OS in the area and asking what they are able/willing to do for uninsured patients.  It sounds like he might also qualify for disability.  SSDI is difficult, but not impossible, to get.

Good luck.
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline tiggs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 06:01:23 PM »
Hello, Tomboygrl,

My sympathies go out to your partner and to you as you seem to be his tower of strength. Do try the tens machine therapy, I think Nettan mentioned this. I have had acl ,mcl, pcl all recon and suffer with nerve pains around the knee. I use a small portable tens that you stick on to the area and I can work with it on, not even knowing it is there other than for the relief it can give.

Good luck with your search for help, do they not have any sort of medical treatment in the US ifor people that dont have insurance ? There must be something. I am only sorry I cant suggest anything else, it just seems like he really does need to be assessed by an OS.

Good luck,
Tiggs.
Age 37,
bouncy castle injury at ripe old age of 24 !! 1992 ?
ACL recon x 1 failed screw came out ! 03
Arthroscopy  04
ACL recon patella version x1 ok still not great .04
mcl, pcl, pol, recon in 1 weeks time !!  may 05
Had op may 05 Mcl, pcl, acl, pol all doing well not so sure about LCL !

Offline grbrown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 05:18:24 PM »
Hi Tomboygrl,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble your partner is having.I am no expert but I heard of a few people with joint pain using "Knee Taping". I believe this is where a tape is applied to the patella to keep it in the right place - a google search should reveal a lot more info. I don't want to trivialize what he is going through in any way and this may be way off mark but may be something that is worth trying once?

In addition, something sparkle999 said reminds me. For my joint pain I have been using Homeopathy, one of the big things they like to know is whether the pain is better / worse with heat and cold. I found heat was better and with a homeopaths help found some relief. I have to say though my pain was nowhere near as bad.

Graham

Offline JMay123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 10:43:46 PM »
I need to know why every time I have finished playing sport, my knee feels weak and it feels like fluid is building up on it, this leads to me requiring to crack it but it reoccurs for at least 3 days and then disappears until i play sport again. It has only recently started happening. Help!

Offline SKOM

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 04:59:48 PM »
since the monsoons started ? He tried 2cc's of flunixin meglamine (pain killer/antiinflammatory), horse dope??????? In the US? Never heard anyone say that before. Whats going on over there?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 05:06:39 PM by SKOM »
ACL/PCL Reconstruction (96)
Partial Medial Meniscectomy (03)
Post Lateral Corner reinforcement (too help with Laxity issues) (03)
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (05)
ACL/PCL Revision (05) Hamstring, Achilles Allografts.

Leader of the "Lax" Knee Clan!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 10:18:37 PM »
Yes, we have monsoons in the Southwestern United States--they happen every year, also known as the summer thunderstorm season.  A monsoon is just a wind that changes direction seasonally, and ours in Arizona comes from the south during the summer, bringing tropical moisture and chanes for afternoon/evening thunderstorms and unstable weather each day between July and September.

As for the 'horse dope' I imagine this is self-treatment.  Highly discouraged and absolutely not something you want to be messing around with.  With mechanical problems such as osteoarthritis and traumatic injuries, you quickly reach the point where what you can do at home is not enough.  See a medical professional.  Go to a county funded hospital that takes uninsured patients and present as an 'emergent' case saying that you fell or whatever--that your symptoms have rapidly and dramatically worsened and you need help NOW.  If there is suspicion of a loose body or something in the knee, an x-ray shouild be able to show what's going on, and hopefully your partner can get the help he needs. 

Also, you might want to consider getting him to apply for state-funded health insurance, which you would be able to do with social services if you meet certain income requirements.  I would really urge you to get him evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon, because self-diagnosis and treatment is very, very dangerous.  And if there is something relatively straightforward going on, wouldn't it be worth it to get treatment and be able to recover without any further issues?  Talk to some of the state welfare agencies and see if they can't point you in the right direction.  No one should have to suffer like your partner is.

I don't know about where you are, but the monsoons have died down and the weather is drying up here--thank goodness!!  We may get a return of the monsoon flow by the middle of next week, however.  I'm not looking forward to the humidity and barometric pressure changes again--they are brutal for my knee pain.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline SKOM

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 12:02:38 AM »
 :o

Never really hear ANYONE say much in the way of MONSOON in the US. I live under a rock!  :-[

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 12:33:07 AM by SKOM »
ACL/PCL Reconstruction (96)
Partial Medial Meniscectomy (03)
Post Lateral Corner reinforcement (too help with Laxity issues) (03)
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (05)
ACL/PCL Revision (05) Hamstring, Achilles Allografts.

Leader of the "Lax" Knee Clan!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 08:32:26 AM »
:o
Never really hear ANYONE say much in the way of MONSOON in the US. I live under a rock!  :-[

Nah, you just don't live in the Southwest.  I knew about the summer thunderstorm season because I grew up in the West, but it wasn't until I moved to Arizona that I found out they actually have a monsoon--the seasonal shift of wind--which actually causes the summer thunderstorms.  Totally different from the thunderstorms on the plains and in the eastern US.

It's called the NAM--North American Monsoon--or the Arizona Monsoon. Pretty cool, huh?  If you're interested (and you might not be--not everyone is a weather geek like I am) here's a link on the NAM:  http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/science/monsoon.php?wfo=fgz

And there are absolutely fantastic photos of it here: 
http://www.azcentral.com/weather/monsoon/

Groovy dust storms

Thunderstorms with awesome lightning

And the most amazing sunsets I've seen anywhere, bar none

Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 10:35:38 PM »
Heather,

Pretty Wild......

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:25:58 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee