Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial Pain, but not like before  (Read 1267 times)

Offline SWYZ721

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Pain, but not like before
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:17:25 PM »
Ok, my history is in my signature

I hurt what I'm pretty sure was my patellar tendon, when I was jumping about 2-1/2 weeks ago. I was in the gym doing some cheerleading lifts (tossing, hand chairs, liberties, for those who know) and I walked up to the basketball hoop and jumped and grabbed the rim. Came down and stumbled a little bit (2 years of from basketball and my in-air balance is rusty!) but I didn't land awkwardly or anything. Started doing some more lifts and felt a pretty medium pain in my patellar tendon (jumpers knee I said to myself) stopped early, and left, mad at myself for my stupid decision to touch the rim. Next day I told my cheerleading coach I hurt my knee and I couldn't return, said I'd contact her in 2-3 months. Stupid knee...

Here's the run down, because something seems to be the case, it doesn't seem like the same injury, and the doc seems a little surprised.

First week:
Walking with pretty bad pain for the first week
Walking up and down stairs one step at a time the first 1-2 days.
Stairs hurt a lot.
But got better as time progressed, quickly too.

2nd week:
Went to Ortho Phys. and they said that my fat pad looks swollen. For the next week I notice the pain has shifted for what feels like the patellar tendon, to the fat pad or generally the front sides of the knee around the meniscus.
-Knee feeling much better this week
-feels in no way able to play ANY sports or any real exercise, but I can walk with very mild pain.
-Fat pad area aches on and off while walking to class and whatnot

3rd Week (halfway through it, today):
Getting much better, but still not good
-Aches and pains on and off, through the day, when walking for long periods of time.
-feeling better and better each day.
-feeling pretty good, I went to the rec center yesterday, and dribbled a basketball, with no pain, shooting the basketball a little bit, but no jumping at all. As I was walking back, An area on the medial knee felt "itchy". Sounds weird but thats the best way to describe it, it felt very itchy. No pain when walking, my knee "feels" but it doesn't "hurt".
-pain seems only to be on the medial side of the knee, right where the meniscus is, BUT (and a big but) I don't have any pain going up and down stairs, and when I did have pain, it was the Patellar tendon.
-ALSO, the pain on the medial side is only painful to the touch, when I touch that spot, it's QUITE sensitive, but no pain when walking even very lightly jogging up the stairs.

Background:

Patellar tendinitis has been my only problem 2 years post op (a had a small MCL tweak, but not problems). I've hurt my Patellar tendon (or what I feel is the patellar tendon) many times while fully exerting myself jumping vertically. If I jump half effort or lower it seems to be no problem.

Additionally, I don't have the hyperextension on my ACLR'd knee that I have on my un-injured knee. Could this pose a problem? I have a feeling the injury stems because when you vertical jump your legs go into full extension, and since one of my legs cannot extend like the rest, I pinch the fat pad or something, does that sound right? I mean maybe something like my muscles and all the sorrounding ligaments and tendons have been trained to fire to a certain degree that I now cannot reach and this causes the injury? I am familiar with patellar tendinitis (I have it) and how it works, but why would my fat pad swell from jumping? And why does it hurt in the area of my medial meniscus but I don't have any symptoms of a medial meniscus problem?

Thanks, probably some errors, I chopped up the paragraphs into a timeline.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:07:27 PM by SWYZ721 »
Aug. 29, 2005 - ACL/MCL/Meniscusl Rupture
Oct. 27, 2005 - ACL Recon. (Patellar)

Don't play indoor soccer!

Offline april

• Regular Poster
Re: Medial Pain, but not like before
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:24:22 AM »
Hi, which knee was it that you injured your patellar tendon? Was it the knee with or without hyperextension?

I notice that I often have fat pad pain after a flareup of patellar tendonitis. I also tend to have it in the medial portion of my knee, in the fleshy part next to the patellar tendon. I'm not sure exactly why I have it, but I have hyperextension in my knees to some degree, and I notice the movement that tends to aggravate the fat pad pain most is to straighten the leg into hyperextension. According to these book pages http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/24e.htm#Fat%20pad%20irritation/impingement%20(b) and http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/24a.htm fat pad irritation can occur due to hyperextension injury.

Anyways, if what you have is fat pad pain, I found the taping technique described in the book to be helpful. You use tape like Leukotape to a) put a piece of tape across the top of the patella to tilt it backwards (away from the patellar tendon) b) put two pieces of tape in a "V" from the tibial tuberosity to the kneecap, to "lift up" the fat pad. I find this reduces the "pinching" and aggravating pain. For me it usually takes a few days to a week to get better after starting taping.

Offline SWYZ721

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 04:49:59 AM »
I injured the knee with LESS hyperextension.

My Elbows and knees seem to have a fair bit of hyperextension ~10 degrees.

My ACLR'd knee only has about 3-5 degrees.

I'm wondering if because my body is used to having ~10 degrees of hyper extension and my muscles are used to firing that far when I jump, that because I don't have full natural extension, the fat pad become impinged and that's why it's swelling.

What do you think?

I'm going to propose this to the PT.
Aug. 29, 2005 - ACL/MCL/Meniscusl Rupture
Oct. 27, 2005 - ACL Recon. (Patellar)

Don't play indoor soccer!

Offline april

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »
I don't know... maybe it was the decreased hyperextension, could be any number of things in the structure of your knee which may have been altered by the surgery, or just a "freak accident"... at any rate, I hope that you are able to find something you can do about it.