Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stopped exercises, knee pain went away???  (Read 1075 times)

Offline somuchpain1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stopped exercises, knee pain went away???
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:54:06 PM »
I have patellafemoral maltracking issues and chondromalcia. The doctor had me doing the stationary bike 2 times a day, straight leg lefts with weights, hamstring curls with weights, and half arc leg raises with weights. I was in a lot of pain and couldn't walk that well and my knees felt very stiff. Well I just went on vacation for  a  week and didn't have access to the gym so I didn't work out. I felt almost 90% better, I have barely any pain, can walk pretty good, and can actually do hikes/ climb stairs etc. What gives? My knee still feels unstable and is clicking/grinding, but the pain is gone. SHould I start back up the exercises even though they cause me a lot of pain and limit my mobility?

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
Re: Stopped exercises, knee pain went away???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:20:34 PM »
what is the history of your problem (ie. how long have you had it and have you worked up to what you're doing now?).

it's common for physio to say to leave it for a while until your pain calms down before proceeding with exercise again.  or possibly altering the exercise so it's to the 'point of pain'.

you do get some pain sometimes but it's alot down to your ability to track the knee correctly to avoid this and to continue to built that little muscle that holds it all in place.

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Hmm.  Definitely something to discuss with your doctor.

Can't tell you what you "should" do.  If it were my knee, I'm the sort that would experiment to see if one particular exercise might be the problem.  Maybe start back with just the bike for a few days, and if that felt OK, add the SLRs to that for a few more days, etc. 

The one exercise that gave me problems in PT was the short-arc leg raise.  I had catching and pain on the lowering phase, and I don't even have maltracking issues.  My physiotherapist and my OS both told me to stay away from the leg-extension machine at the gym, as it puts so much stress on the kneecaps.

Just a thought...
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:32:55 PM »
to add to that yes, leg extension machines should be a non no, as also im my physoios opinion, ANY machine unless it is destabilised with a wobble board, thereby ensuring your core is activated.

since my injury (the same as you) i've only done the leg press with a wobble board, all other exercises use body weight and progress has been really good.  i've had a few scares, pains and relapses but the circuits i've been progressing through are very tiring and that's what you want.  fatigue.  without fatigue the vmo won't grow strong.

but of course i've built up to these circuits.  if ever i had a relapse he would take it back a step and then progress through again.

support