Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TPF-need advice  (Read 676 times)

Offline T-Bone68

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TPF-need advice
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »
 HI! I am new to the site, but have been reading it for a few months.  March 7, 2007, I fell from a ladder and now I have 8 screws and 2 plates in my right leg.  I am having trouble with swelling, pain and nerves in that leg. I also broke my ankle, even though I complained from day one, it took 3 months for them to tell me, ya it was broke.   I see the doctor again on 10-11-07 but do not know what to expect.  He said that my ACL is stretched and people can live with that.  I am having trouble just doing everyday things, walking very far, driving and its just depressing.  I tried to go to work in Sept.(in a prison), I made it a week and now I am back on disability.  This week my leg bent back and now there is a burning sensation going down the inside on my leg from a little above the knee down past my ankle.  As long as I wear the brace he gave me the nerves jumping(driving me crazy)do not act up as bad.  The medication I was giving for this does not help.   I don't know the what thename of the long nerve that runs from my knee to the inside of my ankle is called but has hardly any feeling.  Has any body else had these problems and would you have any suggestions.  I am getting really depressed due to the fact it seems this has ruined me forever, everything I enjoy, I can't do.  The doctor I have is very smart but its also rush, rush, rush.  Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: TPF-need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 03:32:54 PM »
I wish I could offer some advice or suggestions, but all I can offer is my best wishes.  Take care of yourself.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: TPF-need advice
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »
Hi T-Bone,

I can only offer you this.  Any knee/leg injury is devistating and can be very depressing.  My original injury happened in Sept. 2005 and I have just had a partial replacement done (August 2007).  Depression comes and goes but I came to realize in the scheme of things (that would be life) I'm still ok.  I have worked as a paramedic for 14 years and love what I do.  I quickly realized that I was partially defined by my career and that I may not be able to continue.  I have been able to go back but after this one I may have to call it quits.  Sad but it will not be the end of me.  I can teach, share my love of this profession and I realized that I have value.

You have suffered a big injury.  Now this is where I preach much better than I practice so get ready.  You have a new injury, it was only March and you have got to give yourself time to heal.  A lot of what you have lost with the leg may come back but it will not be overnight.  My OS told me on the last visit it will be about 3 years before I forget that I have the partial knee in place.  Although hopefully it will be the end of this year by the time I have most normal function back.

Please feel free to vent here anytime.  This site can offer great support even, if like me, I do not have the same injuries.  As for the rush of your OS.  I joke that I get a 3.5 second visit.  I go in with a list of questions, pull out the list and make him sit down and answer my questions.  I take great joy in his discomfort with keeping him longer than he wants to stay.  Oh, I like this guy a lot, I've just gotten used to their quick in and out of the exam room so I now play on my terms.

I do wish you the very best outcome but be patient (ok again preach much better than I practice).  If you feel depression is getting to be overwhelming please go see your GP and ask for help.  Being on an anti-depressant even for a short time can help you get over these humps.  

Let me know how you are doing.

Be well,
Deborah