Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what is the recovery like post-plica excision?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline kneeman42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what is the recovery like post-plica excision?
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »
i had plica excision 4 weeks ago.  still quite swollen and having pain while walking/standing.  anyone out there had the same operation who could enlighten me on the course of recovery they had.  i should say that i had significant atrophy in my quad after 6 months of little weight bearing.

Offline Lattitude 61

• Regular Poster
Re: what is the recovery like post-plica excision?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:58:48 PM »
We tried several non surgical methods for over a year prior to my surgery. The first month was a bit difficult working to rebuild strength and let the surgery site heal. I recall at two and a half months it was still uncomfortable. By four months the doctor said it was good and by six months knee was virtually the same as before the injury.

It takes time to get the muscles working properly again and the surgery site to heal. Try to get the swelling down and keep it down as much as possible.

Good luck and hope the knee is better soon.

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
Re: what is the recovery like post-plica excision?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:32:59 AM »
I had plica excision four months ago.

I had some swelling, not excessive, but it took probably six or eight weeks to subside completely.  Once the swelling was gone, standing didn't hurt.

I was back walking a mile--very slowly--at three weeks post-op, without pain.  Riding a recumbent trike four or five miles, very slowly and in low gears, at four weeks with only minor aching that went away as I warmed up.

Depending on how bad the plica was, and since your quads are atrophied, your knee may take longer to improve.  Doesn't mean your recovery is abnormal.

Getting those quads built back up is important, but will be hard to do until the swelling is down.  Elevation above the heart and compression help a lot.

Good luck!
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK