Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tennis knee  (Read 815 times)

Offline tennismad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tennis knee
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »
I was playing tennis a few months ago and when I made a sudden stop, got a sharp pain on the outside of the knee, in the groove next to the kneecap. A doctor friend of mine says it's not a meniscal tear (there's no swelling, etc.), but if I turn the wrong way (like to zag to retrieve the ball), stop suddenly or after I serve and land on that leg, I get the same pain. It happens every time I play...Any ideas/suggestions for the problem or how to rehab it to make it go away? Thanks.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: tennis knee
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:50:41 PM »
Unless your doctor friend did an exam and/or ordered an MRI he really can't say with certainty that you don't have a torn meniscus. I did not have any swelling when mine was torn. Go see and orthopedic surgeon for a diagnosis. If you have the same pain every time you play tennis then you are doing more and more damage to your knee. Eventually you'll go down and stay down.

Offline garlic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: tennis knee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:51:56 PM »
Hi tennismad,

As everyone on here will quickly tell you, you should see a sports doctor or OS, as you may have actually torn your meniscus.  However, I think it is possible that you have torn your lateral coronary ligament:

www.scotmass.co.uk/OTMS/OTMS20-29/OTMS29/Lateral_Coronary_Ligament_Sprain.pdf 

I tore mine about 8 weeks ago, and it is finally starting to improve.  My suggestions would be to rest initially (i.e. avoid stairs, running, tennis) and ice it.  When your knee permits, do some light exercise, like cycling.  I think that the light exercise is important with this injury, as it seems to help a bit with the scar tissue that forms.

Ryan

support