Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 5 days post ACL reconstruction. My leg itches excessively. Ideas?  (Read 14142 times)

Offline andresx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
5 days post ACL reconstruction (allograft). Little swelling overall. However my leg itches quite a bit. Ironically not close to the incisions but most of the leg does. what could it be? it feels worse with the brace on, but I think that is due to the pressure. With brace off, it still itches....

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: 5 days post ACL reconstruction. My leg itches excessively. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:43:47 AM »
Try wrap towel around and put lots of ice on and see if that makes any difference.
Could be the brace, could be nervs.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »
ah the healing itch :)

i dunno if i was just told this to shut me up but i had an incredibly itchy leg after my surgery and all the medical people kept saying 'wonderful wonderful - its the healing process'. of course i believed (i was only 15) and loved the itch arriving!!! more itchiness more itchiness - i wanna get better!!!

ive no idea what it is but thought id share my silly story with you - perhap it is healing - with the knowledge i have now id be inclined to say its nerve endings.

but youll be much happier with it if you go with the healing itch story!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline jessie23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:59:05 AM »
I seemed to have the same problem after my ACLR.  I thought alot of it was from the brace but I stilled had the itchy feeling when i took it off.  I tried putting lotion on my leg, but not around my incisions. I found some temporary relief doing that.  I had to fight the itch along with restless leg syndrome.  found some temporary relief doing that.  Did they put any surgical tape over the incision by chance? 

Hope it stops itching.
Feb 9 2007 Tore acl and knee capsule skiing
March 22 2007 ACLR patella tendon and capsule repair
July 5 2007 MUA
Oct 2007 awaiting OS decision on drop out knee cast to regain 15 degrees loss of extentsion, about 130 degrees of flexion

Offline LJN521

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »
just scratch and be happy!!!!!!!   I didnt hear you say anything about knee pain? must be doing pretty good?
                                  Larry

Offline andresx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:54:14 PM »
no knee pain. OS took of the bandages, still have the staples  though. The healing itch...hahaha. I'll settle for that. I've tried lotion, ice, and there is temp relief. Anyway, the itch is taking a second place now, just started PT and that is real pain!!!! I guess I'll ask in the rehab forum, the extension is fine, but flexion I am at 60degress unassisted, 80 assisted, seems I gotta work at it...