Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn ACL's & MCL's in BOTH knees!  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Torn ACL's & MCL's in BOTH knees!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 03:03:25 AM »
Ach ~ How awful. I was reading an article today in an e-newsletter from a magazine to which I subscribe called "The Horse." One of the  articles was about the dangers found in imported hay. Whether fjord or not, 16 is too young for a horse to die.

The article can be found at this address: http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10456

My condolences...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline horselover65

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »
 :'( Oh my Denny, I am so sorry to hear about your mare. Sounds like "choke" to me. Although horses don't normally die of "Choke" unless some other complication is involved. Are you going to have an autopsy? That's the only way to really know of course. I'm so sorry.
I want to tell you and everyone else that has been following my story the update on my surgery. It's now 3 days later and I am home and starting to feel like I'm not going to curl up and die anymore! I woke up from surgery to find out they only operated on one knee. There was so much damage and it took 2 surgeons 4 hours to do the surgery. Basically, every ligament was torn completely and after examining my other knee under anesthesia they feel I have the same injuries to that knee. I am actually glad they only did one because I don't think I could handle both. I was ok for about 12 hours post op but then my epidural wasn't working right and I was given oral pain med which worked for about 4 hours then the severe pain set in. Every employee of the hospital possible was in my room to decide how to control my pain. I have a llot of allergies which make it tricky. Finally my  :(
September 11th, 2007 kicked in the knee by a horse
September 27th, 2007 left knee surgery: ACL, MCL, posterior lateral corner repair
October 17th, 2007 right knee surgery scheduled

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »
Hi Maria, good to hear from you, sounds like that was one major surgery there, and I'm glad to hear that you at least feel like living again. I hope that you have decent pain control now, are you in a brace? Do you know when they are going to attack the second knee, and what do they say about the rehab from the first one? Keep us up to date as you go on, it sounds like it may be a long recovery unless they are doing the second knee soon.

Ok, I've thouht about whether to tell you my story, and I've decided I will, but have to warn you in advance that this is not a good story. I want to tell it, because I want to share wth as many horse owners as I can reach, but if you don't want to read a sad story, stop now and come back to it another day.

So, husband and I chatted about it, and decided that Frenja had probably had a heart attack, or an aneurism, as she had gone down so quickly, so we would just bury her.

Wednesday went into the city for my long awaited OS appointment, bit of a downer, instead of the quick fix I was hoping for turns out I have arthritis in both knees, now waiting for an MRI to have a better look at whats going on.

Thursday morning get up and look put of the window, to see Chleo the filly laying out on her side, sent Jim out, and he came back and said she was dead. We loaded her up and took her into the city for a necropsy, came back that she had massive heart damage, and they suspected Monensin poisoning. They knew that we kept cows, and said that it was probably from medicated cow feed, although I explained that we don't have any medicated feed. Then came the real kicker, th evet said that if th eother horses had eaten it we would lose them as well, oh and by the way it's toxic to dogs as well, You can imagine how I felt by this point. We looked all round the paddock and couldn't see anything, so were worried that maybe the previous owners had ditched some old feed in the pond in the horse paddock, and that the water was contaminated.

On Friday I sent Jim out to make sure everyone was OK, thankfully they were, and as of now are still OK. He came back with a tiny bag that had had chicken starter feed in it, my son brought it home when he rescued some chickens, it had been in the barn, and we still don't know how it got to the paddock. I got hold of the manufacturor, and sure enough, it had the ingredient in it. There are two related isonophores, Monensin and Narasin, they are used in medicated poultry feed to maintain bird health in intensive units, and in cattle feed to promote growth.

Now here is the very scary bit, the bag of chicken feed contained 1/2 pound of feed at most, and that was enough to kill two horses. I've been doing some research, and horses have died because feedmills have packed horse feed after cattle feed without cleaning the plant. I just want all horse owners to know, that those warnings that they put on the bags, saying 'do not feed to horses, could be fatal' should be a huge skull and cross bones, saying one mouthful of this stuff can kill!!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting from more tests from the vet, just to close this out, but as of now looks like Freyja and Max will survive, but we din't know yet if they have any heart damage, so it could be that Max will never be safe as a riding horse.

Sorry to share this depressing story, especially as you're recovering, but please spread the word to anyone you know who may have this poison on their place, and may not know just how deadly it is.

Denny

6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline horselover65

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »
 :'( I'mnot sure what happened to my post yesterday but it never showed up!!! First I want to say how sorry I am to hear about Denny's Horse. That is so sad. Did anyone mention it could have been "choke?" Sounds like it to me but horses usually don't die of choke???? I am so sorry to hear about your loss after everything else your going through. So sad.
Welll, here's the update on my knees. The surgeons went in and found a huge mess in my left knee and had to fix everything. The MCL, the ACL and the LCL. I have 3 titanium screws in my bones and 35 staples with some Frankenstein looking scars!!! One is 6 1/2 inches and the other 4 inches and a bunch of little ones!! They only did one knee and thank God for that! It would have been a nightmare if they did two. I had trouble with the epidural and hated the feeling of being paralyzed from the waist down. Then they had trouble managing my pain due to my drug allergies etc....I basically had the worst 4 days of my life. I am home now and mostly comfortable if I'm not moving but still feeling side efffects of the drugs etc. It was horrible and I still have to do the other knee!! The next surgery will be on the 17th and I just hope that the knee that was operated on is much better by then or else i don't know how I'm going to handle it emotionally or physically!! The good news is the surgeons did a fabulous job they say an A+ if it had to be graded. Well, I'm looking at a long recovery time and a year before I really know how I'll be. Wish me luck on knee #2 and say your prayers!! Thanks!!
September 27th, 2007 left knee surgery: ACL, MCL, posterior lateral corner repair

Offline horselover65

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 10:53:53 PM »
 :'( Oh my GOD Denny, I just read your post!! (and saw mine also??) I have never heard of such a thing about the poultry feed. I want to CC your post to every horseowner I know. I sure hope the others didn't get into that feed!!!!! You must be a nervous wreck right now. I am so so sorry. I don't know what I'd do if that happened to my guys. I will pray for your horses Denny.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 06:00:24 AM »
Horselover, sorry to hear the bad news. You hang in there. Slowly you will get better. There is a life after injuries.
Sending you my best.

HUGS NETTAN 8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline horselover65

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »
Thanks Nettan, I'm hangin' in there. Every day it gets better!! My goal is to get my left knee in good shape so when i go in for surgery on the right I will have a leg to stand on. (ha ha) I soooooooo look forward to getting my life back.
Denny, haven't heard back form you is everything ok with the rest of your horses?? I hope so. Write when you can.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 08:26:37 PM »
Hi Maria,

Is your next op on the 17th Oct? Wow if it is that's quick, but I suppose they could wait if you're not OK on the first one? That's some impressive sounding hardware and scars you've eneded up with, I hope that all is healing well. I take it that you'll be voting for the full anesthetic for your second op, lets hope that they've learnt how to medicate you to control the pain.

Max and Freyja are doing well, so fingers crossed that we are over the worst, they should be OK now, but wont know for a while if there is any long term damage.

here's a link to some pics of the guys and gals

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/rm185western/?action=view&current=maresandfoals001.jpg

Denny

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
One leg to stand on is always good. Keep the work up..a positiv attitude makes healing easier.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline horselover65

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 11:30:51 PM »
Yup, next op is on the 17th. I will have to rehab the left leg enough by then (with a lot of will power)!! Those photos are great!! i love the flying JR! you need to enter that in a contest :) I'm glad to hear that all is well with the others(horses) so far. I have to have my husband help me put some pics of my animals on this website. He's better at computer stuff than I am. Did I ever mention I have an 11 year old Greyhound too? She's great! I'll try to get pics of them all.
What is going on with your knee? I was looking at some other postings you wrote to catch up on your story. You had recent MRI's? Do you need surgery? ???

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 11:21:17 PM »
Hi Maria, how are you today, hope that things are OK, and you're not in to much pain. Chase up husband to help with getting those pictures done, I love greyhounds, I used to work in a racing kennels, and ended up having a retired racer as a pet.

At the moment I'm waiting to be called for an MRI, it can be a long process up here in Canada, so I'm expecting a 2- 3 month wait, but at the moment I'm really cool with that. As you may have gathered, I waited from May until September to see the OS, and that was really annoying. Now however, I am doing a lot better. I still swear that my Bakers Cyst burst the week before I went to the OS, I've looked on line and all the physical signs were there, very swollen calf, and bruising in all the right places, he thought that it should of been more painful. The day I saw him was the first nealy pain free day that I'd had, and since then, touch wood, it's been a lot better. Over the last week I've weaned myself off of the pain meds, so now I'm flying solo (I'm so glad at the moment, because I've just come down with a nasty cold, so I can dose muself up without having to worry about a drug cocktail.) I am increasing my activity level, and it's all going OK, so fingers crossed that it'll stay well behaved.

It may turn out that after the MRI that there is nothing that we need to do, apart from monitor the arthritis as it progresses, but as we only have one snap shot, my knees could have been like it for years, and we never knew. Until anyone says differently, I'll jsut go for the fact that it will be very slow, and won't cause me any issue for years to come. I'm still sure that if I had seen the OS back in May, he would of wanted to operate, I couldn't even walk across the yard without a cane, and couldn't sleep through the night without waking up everytime I turned over.

Sending positive vibes your way

Denny

support