Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee arthroscopy debridement and possible plica?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline sammers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee arthroscopy debridement and possible plica?
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:38:53 AM »
Hi all, I posted this msg in the patellofemoral section as well, i figured the more responses, the better........ I have posted before on this website with my long history of knee problems - 9 months bilat knee pain s/p overuse injury from running.  Tried PT, cortisone injections, supartz injections, a long list of pain meds and still no relief.  After seeing 7 docs, I am finally having a diagnostic arthroscopy this fri 10/05.  I'm so nervous, hopefully the OS will find something to fix because MRI was nornal but I am still in pain 24 hours/day and my knees pop like crazy.  Has anyone ever had a diagnostic arthroscopy with a normal MRI?  Can it make symptoms worse?  How long does the recovery take?  I am having left knee done first and then right if it helps.......

Sammers

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: knee arthroscopy debridement and possible plica?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:06:25 AM »
A MRI not showing anything and after that have findings by scope is not uncommon.
How long recovery will take depends on what needs to be done. Can take all from a couple of weeks to months.
Symptoms shouldn't become worse from a scope.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline cocheese

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
I know this is old but I thought I'd add my recent experience.  I have dealt with the same kind of chronic knee pain and popping especially post exercise.  Whether it is running, hiking, biking, or walking, all seem to irritate my knee.  I had two MRI's, both of which were "clean".  I decided that after living with this issue for over 10 years that it was time to do something about it.  I scheduled a knee scope for 1/24/08.  The OS found a lateral tear on the edge of the meniscus which he cleaned up as well as some fraying in the same area.  He found a depression or soft spot in the medial region which he trephinated (try to stimulate bloodflow by poking channels with a needle).  He also found that my medial plica was very irritated and removed it as well.

I am still recovering, not as fast as I'd hoped though.  After 10 days I am only at 90 degree bend.  As for whether or not these things will fix my issues has yet to be seen.  As far as "clean" MRI's not being clean, that was the case for me.  I am hopeful that I will fully recover soon and that my pain will be gone or at least diminished.

Good luck!

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »
I had a normal MRI for a meniscal tear (didn't show up) and also for a chondral lesion that was fairly sizeable and a piece of debris that was about the size of 1/2 your pinky which did not show up on the MRI. If I didn't persist, my OS would have discharged me with an RX for more PT (he tried to do this, but I kept going back complaining!)

Finally he agreed (reluctantly) to scope my knee and I was right all along, there was damage in there not detected by the MRI. If you have pain, something is going on. I hope you can find an OS who will validate you and address your problem. Keep us posted!
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support