Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: SURGERY SCHEDULED...REALLY SCARED...MORE INFO, PLU-EEZ?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Sherlock7437

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
SURGERY SCHEDULED...REALLY SCARED...MORE INFO, PLU-EEZ?
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:53:48 AM »
Y'ALL, THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

BRIEFLY, RECOVERING FROM CUT TO KNEE THAT IS OOZING FOR 5 WEEKS NOW; ORTHO SUDDENLY DECIDED TO DO SURGERY TO SEE IF IT'S SYNOVIAL FLUID; SAYS HE'LL HAVE TO OPEN UP MY WHOLE KNEE IF IT IS....AND I'M FRUSTRATED AND SCARED.

I HAVE SURGERY SCHEDULED FRIDAY.  MY INTERNIST SAYS IT IS A GOOD IDEA, SINCE HE SUSPECTS IT IS SYNOVIAL FLUID.  I CAN APPRECIATE THAT, BUT THIS ORTHO WON'T TELL ME MUCH.  ASKED INTERNIST FOR REFERRAL TO WOULD CARE CENTER, AND HE THOUGHT NO, ANOTHER ORTHO WOULD BE BETTER.  HAVE THAT APPT. WEDNESDAY.

ANYWAY, HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS, IF ANYONE CAN HELP?
1.  IF I HAVE A HOLE DEEP ENOUGH TO LET SYNOVIAL FLUID OUT, WHY WON'T IT HEAL NATURALLY?  DOES IT MEAN THE JOINT IS ALREADY INFECTED?  CAN'T THEY DO SOMETHING BESIDES SURGERY TO HELP IT HEAL?

2.  IF THE HOLE GOES INTO THE JOINT, WILL THEY HAVE TO OPEN MY KNEE?  OR IS THAT ONLY IF IT IS INFECTED?

3.  WHAT IS AN INFECTION IN THE BONE?  WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANY OF THIS?  HOW WOULD WE KNOW IF THE BONE IS INFECTED?

4.  WHAT WILL THEY DO IF THE BONE IS INFECTED?

5.  OTHER THAN THE BONE, ARE THERE OTHER KINDS OF INFECTIONS THEY ARE LOOKING FOR?  HOW WOULD THEY BE TREATED?

6.  HOW LONG IS THE RECOVERY FROM BASIC CHECK THAT THE FLUID ISN'T SYNOVIAL?  WHAT IF THE JOINT IS INFECTED?  WHAT IF THE BONE IS INFECTED?

I KNOW THIS IS HARD TO BELIEVE, BUT I'M GREAT AT ASKING DOCS QUESTIONS....MINE SIMPLY WOULDN'T ANSWER, GOT MAD, AND LEFT ME WONDERING IF I'LL HAVE A LEG AT ALL WHEN I WAKE UP.

I'D BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY INFORMATION.........................

1986-deranged R knee; plica removed
2007-R meniscus removed
2007-L knee repaired
2008-osteoarthritis R K

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
Re: SURGERY SCHEDULED...REALLY SCARED...MORE INFO, PLU-EEZ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:59:58 AM »
Sherlock....I cannot answer any of your questions. But, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in "facing the unknown", so to speak. I have surgery scheduled for next Friday, Oct. 12, and have no clue what I am getting into either. Had a TKR in June, which has failed for whatever reason. So, if there is no infection, then he will do a revision. If there IS an infection, then he will put in antibiotic spacer for 6-8 weeks, then go back in AGAIN, and redo the prosthesis. So I know how scared you are. I am too. Just thought I would let you know that there is someone in a similar boat as you are....at least we can support each other.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Sherlock7437

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 04:43:29 AM »
DONNA, THANKS SO MUCH.  IT IS REALLY COMFORTING TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE ELSE FACING THE UNKNOWN.  I SURE HOPE YOUR SURGERY GOES WELL....YOU'RE IN MY PRAYERS!

SHERLOCK
1986-deranged R knee; plica removed
2007-R meniscus removed
2007-L knee repaired
2008-osteoarthritis R K

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 05:29:54 AM »
Sherlock - can't offer any answers, but send my best wishes and hopes.

Mary
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 05:55:51 AM »
Thank YOU Sherlock!! The prayers are greatly appreciated. And of course, you will be in my prayers as well. We will get through this....

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 02:51:27 AM »
Hi Sherlock,

I'm another one who can't answer but I wanted to wish you the best of luck on Friday.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 07:04:33 AM »
if you have a bone infection (osteomyilitis) you will be put on antibiotics for about 6 weeks.  sometimes they will open an infected area and wash it out and leave the area open so it can be routinely cleaned.  this can be very painful as the dressings are packed inside to keep the hole open to allow the wound to heal from the inside out.  there are times that if they close the wound the infection starts again--hence why they leave it open.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression