Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Injury  (Read 950 times)

Offline Frankie25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Injury
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »
In late January I was playing indoor soocer and I hurt my knee...I went to my family doctor and he said it seemed fine...After about a month a still had some pain so I went and I saw an OS and he told me that didn't seem to any ligament damage maybe some cartiledge damage and told me to do some physio...I didn't play any sports for about 8 months and I went and saw my OS again last Friday.  I told him my knee still felt a little weak, no real pain but I was afraid to play competitive sports again, so he told me to have an MRI done.  Anyways yesterday I played soccer again for the first time in about 8 months and my knee was feelign good..No pain and it felt pretty strong and stable.  This was all up until I jumped to head a ball and as I was in the air I twisted my body and when I landed my knee gave out and I was in some really bad pain..After about a minute the some of the pain went away and I just laid on the floor.  I came home iced my leg but after a few hours all this pain came and I could barely walk and put pressure on it...Right now I have my knee in an immobilizer and try and ice it as much as I can.  I am worried that I might have caused some serious damage now seeing as how my knee is in more pain now then it was 8 months ago when I first injured it.  I haven't gone to see my OS because I am just waiting for them to schedule me for an MRI.  I hope I haven't torn my acl even though I kind of heard a tearing/pop sound when I injured it yesterday.  Most of the swelling in around the upper part of my knee and most of the pain is on the outside of my knee where my MCL is located.  My younger brother tore his MCL/ACL about 2 years ago and told me his knee felt loose and unstable.  My knee feels more stiff then anything..Any suggestions on what i might have done?

Offline Landshark70

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Knee Injury
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:26:41 AM »
Theres a lot of different things it could be. If your upper body was twisting as your foot came down then the ACL is always a possibility. You may want to go to your OS because they can do a test called the Lachman Test. the Lachman test is to test for instability/laxity with the ACL. A lot of times the LT can rule out a ACL tear even without the MRI. The stiffness could be from fluid/swelling, but the OS can use the LT to check for instability even with it swelled usually.

Offline Frankie25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »
The Pain has subsided alot this past week, and I can walk pretty much normal now, but still have pain on the outside of my knee and underneath.  Also sometimes when I bend my knee and keep it their for a few seconds my knee will "lock" up and i get into tremendous pain until i straighten it out and it clicks/pops back into place then i feel fine...Any idea what that could be?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
As the previous poster said, it could be just about anything. Don't be fooled by the lack of pain and normal walking. When I tore my ACL in half I didn't have any swelling and was able to walk normally in a few days. Locking could be a torn meniscus or ACL. Either way, it sounds like you've done some damage and the best thing to do is stay away from sports until you get it sorted out.