Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tight muscles  (Read 16614 times)

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Tight muscles
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
I have OA of the knee however, I'd say that 80% of may pain is not actually in my knee but is being caused by the muscles in the back of my leg, especially my lower leg, being really tight.  I have not found a way of releaving the stiffness.  I also can't straighten my leg all the way any more so that make it difficult to stretch the back of my leg.  Does any one have any ideas for stretches I can do?

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: Tight muscles
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »
Not sure if this will help, as it was something I was told to do post surgery to prevent what has obviously happened to you, but it's worth a try. I was told to sit on a firm seat (dining chair or such) and place another seat facing me just far enough away that my heel could rest on it. Then I had to lift my affected leg onto the seat and open up a heavy book and drape it over my knee and leave it there for 10 minutes. I was to do this 3 times a day at least. I used a telephone directory as it was heavy and had some flex to it. You could probably do it for 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off when you are watching TV or something. Also it may be worth seeing a physio as they could do some passive stretches on top of giving you some good suggestions that might be more suitable than mine. Anyway, good luck!
Cheers, Kathy.  :)

Offline esther-l

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »
My husband doesn't have any knee problems, but he has very tight hamstrings (tight enough to give him back pain).

One of the stretches that he does for the calf is to stand facing the sink counter, with feet about 3 feet away.
Move 1 foot backwards and try to keep heel on floor. It is ok to bend both knees.
Bend at hips to hold onto the counter until you feel stretch start. Hold 30 seconds.
Relax and repeat.

It seems likely that your lower hamstring (just above knee) is also tight. One stretch for this is to lay on your back on the floor near a doorway. Put your heel up on the doorframe, straighten the knee as far as comfortable, and scoot your behind closer to the door until you feel a stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Relax and repeat.

You may want to ask a doctor or physical therapist if you have a hamstring contracture. If you do, I think there's some physical therapy that can help to remedy that.

For my husband's tight hamstrings, he also has to stretch the calf, piriformis, and glutes muscles.
Right knee partial meniscectomy, patella debridement, and chondroplasty 7/25/2007

right knee arthroscopy, posterior Holn (?) medial & lateral meniscectomy, chrondoplasty, arthrofibrosis debridement, synovectomy, open iliotibial band release. 12/11/2012

Offline crumblingknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi,
I am assuming the problem of which you speak is a hamstring problem, not a calf problem. Here is something you can try . Take a towel or piece of heavy rope and wrap it around your ankle and foot.  Lie flat on your pack. Use your arms to pull the leg up. Pull down on your foot using the towel. Don't stretch past the point of pain. Try to squeeze your quadricep muscles while pulling up.  Each day or week you stretch see if you can get your leg up a bit further. This should help even if you can't fully lock out your leg. Please let me know if that works.

I have OA of the knee however, I'd say that 80% of may pain is not actually in my knee but is being caused by the muscles in the back of my leg, especially my lower leg, being really tight.  I have not found a way of releaving the stiffness.  I also can't straighten my leg all the way any more so that make it difficult to stretch the back of my leg.  Does any one have any ideas for stretches I can do?

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »
Sometimes I find a lot of tightness at the back of the knee and an inability to straighten the leg that no amount of (painful) stretching will fix. After feeling around, I discovered that when i feel like this there is also swelling at the back of the knee which i believe causes the tightness. I usually ice it and it seems to help, and goes down after a few days.

I have arthritis in the medial section and I find my biggest prioblem is tightness/spasming on the inside of the knee joint. Turning over at night or straightening my leg in my sleep usually causes enough pain to wake me several times a night. If the leg is in a bent position for any length of time it seem to spasm into that position and straightening it afterwards is very painful. It even happens while exercising - like sometimes I'll be cycling away no problem but when i've gotten off my bike i have to lean on it for support as putting wieght on the knee is unbearable. It will settle down after a while tho and I sometimes find stretching (especially the butt muscles) helps sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. A hot bath sometimes helps too.

After a flare up recently, and when it had settled down I found I had a new "click" in the knee which manifests when walking up stairs and makes the knee quite sore afterwards. I am also not able to walk as long as I used to. Another step in my deterioration *sigh* :)
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline slaine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »
This is advice only and not in response to anything any one has posted.
Using stretching to relieve tight muscle

I was always taught not to stretch cold muscles.

1. Start with joint mobility exercises first.

2. Warm up with light exercise for 5 mins get the blood pumping before stretching (or after a warm bath if not exercising) and then only stretch each muscle for 10 to 20 seconds (Static stretches only, No bouncing on the muscle).
Think of a stick of chewing gum, how it is brittle and could snap when cold.

3.Exercise

4. After exercise when the muscles are warm, do what is called Maintenance Stretching. Holding the stretch for 20 - 30 seconds, then increasing the stretch and hold again.

Regards

Offline aislyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »
I have the same problem after 2 months in a cast and find that if I use the two chairs like Kathat suggested, along with my heating pad and a 10-15 pound weight across my thigh, I can get a really good stretch. I do this 3 times a day, and also after my workout everyday. It has helped so much with not walking like Qusimoto anymore.

support