Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How did you injure your knee?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline HICCLE

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
How did you injure your knee?
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:37:22 AM »
How did you do it and what was wrong with it?

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: How did you injure your knee?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »
hi!
i came of my motorcycle as i braked to stop hitting a cat that ran out in front of me! (what an animal lover!!)
i landed directly on my patella.
i have have x 2 surgerys.
the latest one being in late january this year.
it was x 3 ops in one! (patella realignment)
i am doing well!! (hoping i have not just jinxed myself!! LOL!!)
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:19:01 PM »
I dislocated my patella, instead of tearing ligaments like most people, I apparently contracted my quad and broke the patella.  I had an ORIF.  6 months later I had surgery to remove the screws that were catching. At the same time I had a VMO advancement and LR to keep the patella in place.  That was 9 months ago and so far I had no problems. 
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline fuzzyfurball

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:02 AM »
6 months ago I fell of a ladder and landed on my left side of my left knee. I tore the lateral meniscus and had a scope to trim the piece that was catching and causing me horrendous pain! Still not healed, but doing somewhat better. (As long as I don't squat,or pull myself up off the floor the pain is fairly tolerable.

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:19 PM »
L knee i initially hurt while skiing...ended up tearing MCL and stretching ACL along with cartilage (i have had numerous reinjurines and many associated problems). R knee i injured playing volleyball (kneecap dislocated and i tore the MPFL). So i now have two bad knees, but the L is kind of my good one now...

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:21:56 AM »
I have had knee problems since I was 13....many dislocations....three surgeries (semitendinosis tenodesis). Last December I slipped on a dorrsill and dislocated my left patella. At the time I didn't know it but I reptured my patellar tendon as well. It has gone undiagnosed until September 12 when I finally met the right OS who said finally that he knew someone who could repair it. On October 10 I go in for a reconstruction of my patellar tendon using an allograft of someone's Achilles tendon because the tendon they would normally use was used in previous surgeries...

Sue :-* the Canuck
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline Lattitude 61

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 04:11:43 AM »
most embarrassing, dislocated patella on office furniture at work. ended up with surgery found miniscus damage, cartilage damage. ultimately had TTT.
still recovering from the TTT.

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »
Mine was a game of cards gone bad...seriously. Tackled someone while goofing off during a wicked game of cribbage. I was the one NOT drinking and I got hurt.

Ended up with a blown MCL, did 4 months of therapy, started deteriorating when training for my trip to south america. After my trip I was going to have a 'quick scope' and ended up having my knee cap relocated, menicas repaired and microfracturing. Three months later...I just got rid of the crutches 2 days ago, going through rigorous PT and getting ready for winter.

The rule is no contact during card games, but if I absolutely cannot control myself I am required to drink first! :-\

Offline ODEN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:53:44 PM »
Originally injured my knee getting on my horse.  The horse side-stepped to the right and my knee went to the left!  I fiinished off by tripping over my black chow chow (it was dark and dummy me didn't want to take the time to turn on a light!).
June 2004 ACL Reconstruction/Meniscus Repair
Nov 2004 Meniscus Repair
Aug 2005 Right TRK & Lateral Release
Dec 2005 MUA & Scar Tissue Removal

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 09:13:54 PM »
Nine years ago... first day at Uni (19yrs old)..... infact i'd only arrived two hours earlier and the course didn't start until the morning!  ::)  :P  :P
Playing football with my new fellow students.... kicked a bouncing ball, sliced it.... right foot came up to my face.

Agony, instant swelling, knee was ten times bgger than it should have been, terrible pain all night...A and E next day, all fine!?! so they said.... on crutches for 3months.... constant pain...knee syringed Ouchhhh!!!!  >:( (not recommended) Finally went back to hospital a year to the day it happened, looked at original x-ray....obvious problems. Bottom of knee cap broken off...three loose bodies.

Operation number one.... one loose body removed.... more problems.... another op in 2001 then 2004 loose bodies removed, then another seven weeks ago, lots of shaving and trimming, another loose body removed (which makes a nice necklace!) and bob's your uncle, fannies your aunt.....

i still think it doesn't work right! Knee replacement here i come! and i'm only 28!  :P

Lucky me!

Offline mineemowse

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
I was a teacher's aide in a preschool classroom and, at lunch time it was just the teacher and me. We were sitting at her desk eating lunch when I crossed my legs - kind of quickly, I guess, as i hit, right on the corner, the meniscus area of my left knee.  The PAIN! I sat and cried. During the afternoon class, I was miserable. Not knowing what i did, I hobbled around for about a year until I decided to seek out an ortho.

Big Mistake!

He scoped my knee - not a lot of help from  him (he can no longer practice in the State of Illinois)....

and the rest is history.....
'98 torn meniscus
'99 arthriscopy repair
'02 cartilidge replacement injections
July '06 arthriscopy cleanup
Oct. '06 Oats Allograft procedure (failed)
May '07 arthriscopy cleanup
Dec. 3 '07 - TKR

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:48:43 PM »
being chased by a boy in school at age 12 (yes i was a heart breaker as far back as that :), turned to dodge round a desk and KABOOM - right knee dislocated with a POP and has not stopped dislocating since despite surgery.

BUT - history of knee problems in the family. Its in the genes I tells ya!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline hil13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »
Hi,
I was crossing the road and a car came from a side street and knocked me down, that was 18 months ago. My knee has been locked from accident, I have to use walking frame since. I had large bucket handle tear in medial menicus, torn acl and pcl, tiny cyst, and burtis, thats mri report,not sure what all this means yet. I have just had surgery 6 days ago. I had arthroscopy, debridement and now waiting 2 weeks to get stitches removed then quote "intensive phyiso". Surgeon said he done a lot of work on catilage but didnt mention ligaments.  just as a finishing touch he tells me I now have Grade 2/3 arthritis in same knee.

To be continued

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »
the first day on my new job and didnt know that the sidewalk was uneven fell and landed on my knee

good way to makea great and lasting impression

home now on wc and waiting to see what else can be done

have done therapy surgery and more therapy followed by orthovisc

have a great day all

caren
Caren

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »
just reading mine and most of the other comments as to how the intial injury occured...i've come to the conclusion that a lot of knee injuries happen in the strangest way!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I especailly liked the "braked for a cat" and the runiing away from boys aged 12!  :D