Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Use knee brace or no for patellafemoral/chondromalacia?  (Read 852 times)

Offline somuchpain1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Use knee brace or no for patellafemoral/chondromalacia?
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:40:31 PM »
My doctor does not want to do any taping or knee braces on my knees. I have patellafemoral/chondromalacia problems with both knees and so far the exercises are not helping. It has been 7 months that I have had this problem, been doing the exercises for 2 1/2 months. Would it hurt to use a knee brace during the day to try and keep the patella in place so it doesnt grind and slip? 

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Use knee brace or no for patellafemoral/chondromalacia?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
You have any PT ? If so maybe he/she can try taping on you. The reason I believe that he doesn't want you to use brace or taping is that he wants you to build muscles instead and with only that try to keep the joint in line.
I would ask the PT for advice.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline miss_patella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 05:48:28 AM »
Brace it.  There are tons of patella stabilizers.  Taping's effect tends to reduce quickly and while it may be cheaper initially, it adds up and takes a lot of time, assuming the person doing it knows what they're doing.

Maybe the K4-F, which uses the Diamond X theory that trainers use to tape the knee.  It's neoprene with stays and a donut around the patella and lots of straps to keep it all in place.  Way less messy than tape....and way more comfortable.

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:19:20 PM »
similar problems to you, plus others and four ops on the right knee in 9years. I have worn braces on my knee for nine years on and off and constantly for the last two years. Had my last op 8weeks ago and saw my surgeon six weeks ago. He didn't like the fact i was weariing a knee brace all the time...or at all for that matter...as it would put pressure on my knee cap and pull it in towards the joint....asked if i thought it helped, i said yes, even if it just gave confidence..... he said, well, use it then. A fairly tight brace will put as much pressure on the knee as standing will...... so he said!

Plus i think the neoprene ones help keep the joint warmer...and i suffer on cold mornings!

If you think it helps you then use it! No-one knows you as well as you do!  :)

John.