Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cracking at back of knee  (Read 1048 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
cracking at back of knee
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »
Hi All,
my weakest area is that last bit of extension. so from almost straight to full straight i struggle.
Got a new knee brace, theres rods down the side of it so when its on my leg is held slightly bent.
trouble is - i get this cracking at the back of my knee sometimes, and wearing the brace makes it MUCH worse, its like something tightens up and then i extend and it cracks loud and releases.
the brace feels fantastic on - until i try to walk, then its like its preventing me from extending fully (which is my weakness anyway) - and this tightening/cracking happens.

any ideas what the cracking is?

tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: cracking at back of knee
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »
ouch, does it hurt ?

Wish I could help you with info, but hope you get an answer.
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »
no - it doesnt hurt at all - its nice actually :) its the bit before it 'cracks' its sore - sort of like something is caught then it releases - the release is nice though - bizarre as it sounds!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline EMTSgirlfriend

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My Myspace page, if you want to know more about me!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
Tanya -

I have cracking alot too.  I hope that yours isn't what mine is, but my doctor says that due to the instability of my patellas, and them dancing around, little pieces of the back of my knee cap get torn upwards, kind of like shards.  These can get caught on other parts of your knee, making it sore until, depending on the side of the "tab", it bends and releases whatever it got stuck on. The good news is that from what I've been told, the solution would be a simple scope to clean the back of the patella up. They shave a little bit off to straighten everything up.  This might sound a bit morbid, but I've always thought the pictures of the kneecap with the scraped up pieces actually was kind of pretty. I think it looks somewhat like coral...but maybe I'm just weird.  ;D

I hope whatever it is, your OS is able to fix it so you aren't sore anymore!

Good Luck!

Julie
Live everyday with hope!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:16:06 AM »
Hi Julie,
My OS says I dont have those little pieces cracking round the place. His response to my cracking question was a absent minded 'yeah....tendons....'.

My physio is saying its tendons too - so I guess its tendons. Apparently the reason it was happening more with the new knee brace is that the 'rods' in the sides were preventing me extending fully (Im weakest in the last bit of extension), so my leg was kinda 'hanging' in a slightly flexed position and the tendons were tightening up from strain and then when i forced my leg straight they were 'cracking' with the release.

I changed brace, I got a soft one, its much nicer to wear!!!
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline EMTSgirlfriend

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My Myspace page, if you want to know more about me!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 04:22:31 AM »
HAHA I LOVE IT!  Aren't OS's great sometimes?  "Yeah...tendons.." for some reason that's cracking me up!  The OS I had previous to the one I'm seeing now was awful (thus I'm not seeing him anymore).  He walked into the exam room like he was the king of knees, and was expecting a standing ovation, or at the very least a curtsy.  Then he examined my x-rays for a while, and when he was done, he informed me that I had screws in my left knee, and that there WERE screws in my right knee, but that they have been removed.  If I hadn't been so shocked, it would have been funny at the time, now it's hysterical lol! ;D

PS...I'm glad the softer brace is working for you, and I guess it's a good thing though that the cracking is your tendons, hopefully you can stretch them out and be a lot more comfortable!
Live everyday with hope!