Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here - need advice on Fulkerson post-op  (Read 1250 times)

Offline bef72m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here - need advice on Fulkerson post-op
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:12:03 AM »
My name is Beth.  I'm scheduled for a Fulkerson in a few days, and have been absorbing as much information about the procedure as possible.  My greatest concern, however, is how I will cope post-op. 

I have a 4 month old baby, and a very active 2 year old.  I have arranged to have somebody come over to help me most of the time for the first week.  How long is it necessary to have someone helping out 24/7?  I'm hoping that between playing with whoever is here to help out, and watching Cars about 400 times that he won't get bored enough to climb all over me and my knee.  He's extremely active, and loves to run, climb and jump, and when he gets overtired, or bored, he can be very difficult to deal with.  The baby is easy in comparison.  The only issue with her is that she's 100% breastfed, and flat out refuses to take a bottle.  I know that I'm going to be getting pain meds that are compatible with breastfeeding, and that as far as the anesthesia goes, I can have whatever a mom having a c-section would have.  She will be content to just hang out with me in my room all day.  If anyone has been in a similar situation I would love to hear about it.

My other concern is not nearly as urgent as the immediate post-op period, but still weighing very heavy on my mind.  Are there any runners out there who are running again after a Fulkerson?  My OS told me that he cannot guarantee that I will be able to run again and to consider other forms of exercise that are lower impact.  For a runner though, there's really nothing that can take the place of running.  I'm not willing to let go of the hope that I'll run again one day, even though that's probably what put me in this situation in the first place.  Any success stories would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!  :)

Beth

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: New here - need advice on Fulkerson post-op
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:46:06 PM »
Hey Beth!!
First of all welcome!!

Secondly... RELAX!!! If you have to do this, you have to do this, and you'll cope I'm sure! It's partly the fear of the unknown, but you have to undergo it and take one step at the time.

I dunno if you'll be able to cope with the kids 24/7 if you're all alone. I managed fine post surgery, but with kids? Don't have any so can't really comment. But think about this, you'll be on 2 crutches, NWB, so you can't carry anything, esp not a baby  :-\ I stayed with my parents postop but I wouldn't do that anymore. At least have someone to come over frequently during the day, and someone standby at night if you urgently need someone.

Another matter... are there any runners here who still run post TTT?? Erm... read my signature below and you'll see how active I am post TTT, all without problems! I have a busy job, run every other day 4K and play competitive badminton (thats how I dislocated my ankle 2 weeks ago  ::), TTT side, but no NOT the knee this time (and I still can't get used to that  :P).
However, most who had this surgery aren't active in sports post surgery, I got my OSs support, now again training to be back to work and back on the badmintoncourts real soon.
I am a living example for someone who is (a bit over-)active post TTT  ;D

Anyways, got to "run" ;D, off to PT, if you have any more questions or doubts let me know, others will check in and give advice for sure!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline MMMOOOMMM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »
Hi, my name is Angie, and I am facing similar issues... I am new here, too, but scheduled for a Fulkerson in December (after law finals).  I have a little boy who will be three in a few weeks, and I am also concerned about what will happen after my surgery.  We have planned on him staying with my in-laws, who he loves, for the first few days, and then we will be traveling to their house for the holidays a few weeks later, so we will have someone around all the time.  Plus, we are relying on his love of "Finding Nemo" and "The Justice League", as well as his train set to get us through any rough patches.  But, I was initially resistant to my OS's advice to have the procedure simply because I was worried I wouldn't be able to be a good mom for awhile.  He advised me that you have to think about yourself too, and how you will function without the surgery.  So that is what made me realize that I have to call on whatever friends and family I have to help out.  I am making dinners ahead and freezing them, as well as stocking up on a few emergency toys in case things get unmanageable with my son.  I buy things on sale or clearance, and if he starts to get a bit rough with my leg, I can distract im long enough to get out of the way.  Not the best solution, but when you are desperate...

As for the fact that you have a young baby who is still nursing, I had morphine when I was pregnant (kidney stones), and I think nursing moms can also have Percoset.  I nursed my son for 2 1/2 years, but I learned really quickly - whatever your docs give you - make sure they double check that it is compatible with nursing.  They can make mistakes.  I would just pump and store some extra milk - some meds will compromise your milk production.  It is fine if you freeze it for several weeks (double check on that), and you should be able to find a time to pump where you aren't denying the baby any milk.  Other than that, kudos to you for wanting to continue nursing through your recovery - alot of women would just give it up.

My OS told me that I would be able to do whatever I put my mind to after the surgery... a bit optimistic, but I am planning on getting into PT and doing whatever I can to recover as soon as possible... I think it helps if you really have a positive attitude.  I was a runner for years, but knee pain kind of dampened that... since then, I have fallen in love with my Elliptical machine.  It is a godsend, and much easier on the knees.  Not as fun as running outside, but I use the time to watch tv or read magazines. 

Good luck to you with your surgery, and I hope that your recovery goes smoothly.   

Offline bef72m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:51:43 AM »
Thank you so much for your replies! 

Helena, it's wonderful to know that you're so active post TTT.  Sorry to hear about your ankle though.  It must be tripping you out that your knee is fine.  My OS works with a lot of pro athletes, so he's used to getting people active again, and he's very aware that I would like to run again one day.  He can't give me a guarantee that I will run, but I'm sure he'll work with me to try to get me there if possible.  And you're right.  I have to do this, so I will somehow.  I keep telling myself that the hard part is only temporary.  I am most definitely freaking out over nothing at this point.  It's a waste of energy and I need to stop.  Thanks for the reality check!

Angie, what a wonderful idea to have a stash of emergency toys on hand!  I don't know why that didn't occur to me, because that's what I do when we have to travel.  I'm pretty sure percoset is fine for a nursing mom.  Anything with codine in it needs to be avoided though.  I have a friend who's a professional lactation consultant, and I plan on asking her about anything questionable.  I have a freezer stash of milk for just in case.  I suppose DD will take a bottle if she gets hungry enough even though she may not like it much.  Once I'm able to crutch around a little bit I'll be able to strap her in her baby carrier and carry her as I crutch.  She's not the one I'm concerned about though.  I think it's wonderful you nursed your son for 2 1/2 years!  So many people don't realize that breastmilk is still beneficial at that age.  Good luck to you on your surgery too.

Offline flash717

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:11:13 AM »
  Once I'm able to crutch around a little bit I'll be able to strap her in her baby carrier and carry her as I crutch.  She's not the one I'm concerned about though.
I just hat a TTT or Fulkerson on September 7, 2007. I don't know if I would be able to carry around a child at this point. I have problems enough with adding more weight via my backpack briefcase as I motor around with the crutches. My center of balance is changed with this and it feels weird to me. I would also be afraid that I would do something and the baby would get hurt. Perhaps a front sling would work out in this situation?
karen
RK 84  Patella cleaning
85  Plica removal, LR
97  Plica removal, patellar cleaning
06 Nov patellar cleaning
07 Jan patellar cleaning, loose body removal
07 Sep 7 TTT/AMZ & LR
09 Oct screws removed

LK - 86  LR, patellar cleaning
90 Patellar debridement
02  Art. cart injury, Lat. Tibia & Femur

Offline bef72m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
Very good point, Karen.  I have an Ergo carrier which can be worn on the front, back or side.  The baby is still so small that I usually have her in the front.  I have had to use the crutches with her in the front before, and it worked pretty well, but she was much smaller then.  I'll plan to do that as little as possible for the first little while anyway until I'm more confident that I can handle it.

Well, tomorrow's the big day.  It's a gorgeous day here today and we've been outside all morning.  Once the kids wake from their naps we'll probably head back out there so we can enjoy the rest of it.  It'll probably be cold and nasty out the next time I feel well enough to go out with the kids.

Offline flash717

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:02:09 AM »
You are in my thoughts and prayers as tomorrow looms large!
RK 84  Patella cleaning
85  Plica removal, LR
97  Plica removal, patellar cleaning
06 Nov patellar cleaning
07 Jan patellar cleaning, loose body removal
07 Sep 7 TTT/AMZ & LR
09 Oct screws removed

LK - 86  LR, patellar cleaning
90 Patellar debridement
02  Art. cart injury, Lat. Tibia & Femur

Offline EMTSgirlfriend

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My Myspace page, if you want to know more about me!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 08:17:01 AM »
I hope everything goes well for you.  I had Fulkerson's on both knees, but like most of your replies, I don't have children.  I had to stay in the hopital for 3-4 days after the surgery, and was VERY sore for a few weeks after that.  On the plus side, as with most things, the pain lessens a little each day.  I wish I could comment more on some of your issues, and I will cross my fingers that you are able to run after your surgery!  :)
Live everyday with hope!