Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what exactly is a "post-op knee brace"?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline andresx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what exactly is a "post-op knee brace"?
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:40:34 PM »
Going scope and possible ACL reconstruction. Surgeon suggested I get a post-op knee brace..Going on google and typing knee brace seems overwhelming there is dozens of brands and pictures. What am I exactly looking for? can someone recommend one?. Are those things covered by insurance? Anyway, just figured I'd ask here. Thx.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: what exactly is a "post-op knee brace"?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:48:01 PM »
Hi ~ I'm rather surprised your doctor casually suggested a post-op brace & didn't tell you what to get or better yet didn't give you one while you were seeing him/her. I'd sure call back to ask exactly what you were supposed to get. I suspect it'll be one with hinged joints on either side of your knee to help stabilize it during the healing. But be specific & ask your doctor to recommend a preferred name brand. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 11:52:57 PM »
I had a TPFx and the brace that they gave me post op was a breg t-scope
http://www.breg.com/products/bracing/post_op/lower_extremity_knee/default.html#t-scope
it says it works for acl - although I grew to hate the brace, it did its job and was relatively easy to get on and off - my insurance paid for my brace
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline andresx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
I did get some sort of "prescription" from Dr and his office suggested a couple of places to go to, but I was too lazy to go today so I figured I'd ask around the forums to get an idea.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:07:28 PM »
If there is a medical place there they should have it take the prescription in three and show them what he wants exactly but remember to take it to the hospital with you when you go for your surgery

really suprised that he told you to get it on your own mine has always gotten it for me and sent it home with me

they should be covered under your insurance as some of them can be quite pricey

good luck

caren
Caren

Offline miss_patella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 06:03:58 AM »
For ACL, PCL injuries, you should get a wrap around brace. (not a pull-up) with hinges, probably set at 15 or 30 degrees to start.  Ask the orthotist.  If you have a script there are tons of O & P shops.  Or call manufacturers to see what they recommend.
FYI: Breg uses chinese neoprene in case you're allergic to latex.

support