Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 weeks still using a cane  (Read 1676 times)

Offline milster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
6 weeks still using a cane
« on: September 23, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »
Had sugery aproximately six weeks ago and am definitely seeing improvement.   I had a partial menisectomy. Still have pain and still using the cane. The vmo is taking so long to return. Have not returned to work.  Supposed to go next week.  Is it normal that it is taking so long?
arthroscopic 1994(left knee)
arthroscopc 2007(left knee)

trainwreck

Re: 6 weeks still using a cane
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:24:10 PM »
YES  YES   YES

Offline milster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:34:10 AM »
Thanks for helping ease my mind with the slow recovery.  I just have one more question.  I know the vmo helps with those leg lifts that I do in Pt, but I still can't do them on my own.  Is this why I still need the cane and have a hard time with stairs.  Is there an anticipated time line for this.*I had arthroscopic 14 years ago, but the recovery was so much shorter and less painful.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:42:23 AM »
I wouldn't say this is anywhere close to normal for a partial menisectomy. The pain is perhaps but not using a cane. I've had three of them and was never on crutches for more than 5-6 days at most. I was only on crutches for three weeks following a partial knee replacement. Perhaps your VMO is not returning because you're not walking. You really need to start walking. It's going to hurt but you need to walk.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »
Jahtib, as I have told you before, we are all different and we also heal differently. And if muscles don't get going propertly you can be needed to use both cane and crutches 6 weeks out. Just because you had an easy recovery doesn't mean that everyone else has that.

Milster, are you having any phys ? If not you should really go see someone and get help with proper exercises to make the muscles start working.
Don't worry, you will be soon on your way. A good kind of therapy is to be in water and doing exercises. So if you have access to a pool that would be great.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline milster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  Yes I am in phys. therapy.  Don't have access to a pool.  Everyday I feel a little better and my extension and flexion are getting better and I see a slight improvement with the vlo.  My pt gave me exercises to do at home, I do  them daily.  I just can't believe how slow this process has been.  My dr keeps telling me I am healing and so does my pt. They also think fear of pain has something to do with me not getting off the cane. They are both great and very supportive. 

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
I suggest to get of the cane if you're allowed to. While using the cane or crutches, you use your muscles differantially, onc eyou walk without it, you use them normally again, slow but normal. It's not easy, but worth a try. try walking without the cane when you're at home and only use it outdoor, then slowely increase non-cane usetime.

Hope things get better soon!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
surgery can introduce muscle dysfunction - your VMO might just be being lazy for the time being, try not to worry, it will come back.
you should try to get off the cane at home, or for a few steps here and there at least, you can very easily develop a psychological attachment to a cane or crutches (believe me everytime im on crutches they have to be pried from my hands to get me off them!!)

Nettan is right - we all heal differently, no two surgeries are exactly the same. If your VMO was weakened before surgery it might take ou longer to recover.

But if your PT and doctor both think you are healing then thats a good sign, it might be slow but sometimes we plateau for a while then make sudden improvements. hang in there, you will have improvement. Six weeks is not a long time after a surgery. each day brings more healing.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
Jahtib, as I have told you before, we are all different and we also heal differently. And if muscles don't get going propertly you can be needed to use both cane and crutches 6 weeks out. Just because you had an easy recovery doesn't mean that everyone else has that.

I realize everyone is different but the poster asked if this is normal. Normal would imply that this is the case for the majority of people. It isn't. The majority of people are walking way before six weeks. That is the point I was trying to make. I would agree with the doctor and PT that fear of pain is keeping the poster from letting go of the cane.

Offline milster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 12:45:43 AM »
     I actually have been walking without the cane at home(was not sure that counted).  I also just got back from pt and he says my fexion and extension are excellent and to not get frustrated, just like most of you said.  He also said focus on what you can do instead of what you can't.  Which I am sure will help as well. 
     I am new to this site, but have been hanging around it for the past several days.  I finally got the nerve to write  and really found it helpful.  Thank you guys so much.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:04:41 AM »
keep posting milster, you get loads of advice and support here, im so glad you had a positive visit with your physio and that fantastic you arent using the cane at home - sure its only a small step to not using it elsewhere then!! you can start off small, dont use it for a visit to the local shop perhaps but do for a longer walk, and eventually youll find yourself using it less and less.

well done - youre doing great!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support