Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI results  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
MRI results
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
I posted a message elsewhere but haven't gotten any replies and then I found this category where people seem to be getting answers so I'll pose my questions here and hopefully someone will answer! I had a partial medial meniscetomy in 2003, one in each knee, 4 months apart. I've developed bad arthitis in my right knee since then (advanced moderate) and my orthopedist sent me to a rheumatologist. On MOnday, the rheumatologist's PA told me to get an MRI to see what was going on in there since it had been 2 years since my last MRI. So I had the MRI (open machine) Tuesday night and the PA called me with the results on Thursday. I now have an appointment back with my orthopedist for Tuesday. MEanwhile I picked up the CD with the scans on it and along with it was the report on the disk which I printed up. There is Grade I and Grade IV chondromalacia in that knee joint area as well. This is the last section of the report:

Impression: Recurrent tear posterior horn medial meniscus associated moderately advanced medial compartmental osteoarthritis. Horizontal tear anterior horn lateral meniscus, Increase in size of a presumed synovial cyst seen along the posterior supracondylar region of the distal femus.

Am I correct in reading this as I have 2 tears in my right meniscus??? And do you think the course of action to deal with the tear(s) would be more surgery and what would that surgery entail, do you think?? SOrry for so many questions! I will be forever thankful if someone can give me a clue as to this.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: MRI results
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:16:42 AM »
No, you have one tear in each meniscii. There are two in each knee, one on the inside (medial) one on the outside (lateral). It's not for me to say what the course of action should be. Probably you'll need arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn bits. Eventually you'll likely need a total knee replacement.

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: MRI results
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:03:41 AM »
No, you have one tear in each meniscii. There are two in each knee, one on the inside (medial) one on the outside (lateral). It's not for me to say what the course of action should be. Probably you'll need arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn bits. Eventually you'll likely need a total knee replacement.

Thanks so much for the reply. I should have checked the anatomy section where I'd have found the 2 menisci! Having had surgery only on medial ones, I forgot about the 2nd, lateral ones. Meanwhile, I'll contemplate a future TKR, hopefully well in the future. Looking forward to Tuesday when I have an appointment with my orthopedist.
Thanks again for your reply.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR