Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Numbness????  (Read 1329 times)

Offline pjmrg1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Numbness????
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:41:30 AM »
I have posted under other categories and have received great support and advice from everyone.  I appreciate it so much, since my doc feels the need to ignore me now that the MRI has come back negative. After the negative MRI, cortisone shot and ensuing night of hell on Wednesday, I took the day off Thursday.  However, I went to work today because without a doc to put me on disability I have to show up.  Unfortunately, this meant standing all day and putting even more stress on a knee that keeps getting more painful every day.  But after work today, I noticed something really different.  It was VERY swollen, stiff as usual after work......but now the whole lateral side is NUMB!  The numb area extends about 4-5 inches above and below the knee also.  Does anyone know if this is caused by the cortisone shot or if its due to the swelling from being on it all day.  Its really kind of worrying me.   ???  Has anyone experienced this???  I'm not sure whether to be scared and go to the ER or just to keep on doing what I have been doing....rest, ice, elevation, NSAIDS.

Michelle

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Numbness????
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 07:17:34 AM »
It could be a trapped nerve.  Search saphernous nerve entrapment.  See if it sounds right.  Or maybe RSD.   Sometimes orthos misses this things because they are focused on mechanical issues and forget about other co-contaminate factors.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Numbness????
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »
The numbness can also be caused by more swelling. I would keep up for some days with ice, elevate and rest. If you don't see improvement call and ask.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support