Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What do I do about persistent knee swelling  (Read 6858 times)

Offline girir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What do I do about persistent knee swelling
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:43:36 AM »
Hi All,

Two months back, I hurt myself when I stepped on a rolling stone and then had to suddenly jerk my knee to stop myself from falling.  Next day morning I had a big swelling on my right knee.  It looked like a ligament tear, so I started home remedies like heat, crepe bandage and raised knee.  After 4 days, I went to the doctor who also suggested RICE.  Then I went for physiotherapy for 2 days where they circulated cold water around my knee cap and gave ultrasound massage.  After 2 weeks, there was pain still so I went to an orthopedic who gave the tablets: Diacerein (once a day) and Arcoxia  (120 mg) for 20 days.  After reading some not so good things about Arcoxia, I discontinued that and just started taking Diacerein  along with heat pad and oil massage twice a day.  Now I am able to do daily chores bu there is still swelling above knee cap and I feel stressed if I stand for long time or walk for long. Yesterday the doctor changed medicine and gave me tablet PIROX DT (for 7 days) and also capsule Orcerin GM  (to be taken for one month and then go to doctor again) .

This has been a long saga and I am wondering if I am on the right track to recovery.  If there are any suggestions that could help me reduce the swelling I would appreciate it a lot.  Also if there are other recommendations for medicines to reduce the swelling, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Giri

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:18:30 AM by girir »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: What do I do about persistent knee swelling
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
Heat is not good for swelling. Keep elevate knee above heart and ice.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline girir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:47:39 AM »
Thanks, I will try the ice treatment.  Is there any specific medicine or exercises you can recommend?

>>Heat is not good for swelling. Keep elevate knee above heart and ice.

Offline nickifamily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »
Did you knee get better?  I have had persistent knee swelling for about 10 months know.  It has gotten progressively worse.  I play league tennis, but did not have an injury.

First doctor saw a little arthritis, but not a lot.
Second doctor saw nothing in MRI but maybe some out of alignment movement of the patella.  I do go back to this doctor soon, but I've slowly cut my activity level back from 4 nights of tennis a week to 2 hours of tennis once a month.  I need to do something more than physical therapy and sitting on the couch.

I started physical therapy 4 weeks ago, and anytime I do more than walk slowly, the knee swells.  The therapist had me try hopping and it swelled up.  I tried to play just a little doubles tennis (no running or jumping) and the knee swelled up.  Therapist tried to re-evaluate the knee for the doctor appointment and the knee swelled up. 

I haven't gone up stairs more than twice in the last month.  I have not been able to go down stairs in 2 months or more.  Looking for any ideas....

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
Icing is a great start, but if you aren't elevating your knee when you have a chance, especially in the evening when it is more swollen you should try it.  In the recliner is good if you have one, but add a couple of pillows as well under your calves(if you support your knees you may find that you start to lose extension). Hogging the couch and putting your feet on the arm works well too.  Don't keep your knees unsupported when they are that high however or you could overextend.   You might also want to sleep with your legs elevated several inches to try and get out as much swelling as possible overnight.

Another thing to try is lymphatic drainage.  What it is basically is gentle stroking of your leg from calf to groin to get the fluid moving out of your knee.  You want to get it headed toward the lymph nodes in your groin.  You will need to do it for at least 10 minutes at a  time, but I can tell you that it does really work.  You can find instructions on youtube I think.

The stress you are feeling after standing a while is probably due in large part to de-conditioning.  When you were in pain you weren't as active and you have lost some muscle as a result.  If you were assigned exercises do them faithfully.  It really makes a difference but it does seem to take forever.  I know how the de-conditioning is, I went back to work after my second PKR last week and I felt like I do at the start of the school year, exhausted and achy due to not being on my feet as much (I teach).

Hope these ideas help.

Linda

Hope your knees settle down soon.
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline nickifamily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:13:30 PM »
Thanks.  I do elevate and ice my knee at night.  When I can, I elevate it during the day at my desk too.  Actually, today my physical therapist thinks I might have loose bodies in my knee that my doctor might need to remove.  That was one of the options my doctor discussed.  Since my knee pain is not consistent, and the swelling comes and go with different types of activities. 

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »
Sounds to me like you are doing everything right.  Hopefully you can get this straightened out soon.  I'll be watching for your next news.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline nickifamily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
They did find a lot of loose cartlidge in my knee under the patella.  The doctor cleaned out the groove and smoothed everything out.  He said I have great tendons, but have lossed 20% of my cartlidge.  He said it was a really good thing that he went in and cleaned it out and got a good look at what was going on. 

He sees shots in my future for arthritis, but hopefully tennis wont be that far off now.  Actually feels better and its not even quite a week after the surgery.  Since there was no real damage to my knee, I was able to walk out of the surgical center. 

I was afraid of the surgery, but now am glad I had it. 

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
I am so glad to hear that everything went well.  I didn't have luck with the shots, but my knee was already too far gone for them to work.  If you still have 80% left you are one of the people they were meant for.  I hope tennis comes very soon and that your knee behaves itself.  Your PT is certainly working if you doctor says your ligaments are strong.  That should help your knee stay stable on the court.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline nickifamily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
Hopefully I'll continue to be that hopeful.  I went to see the physician's assistant rather than the doctor for my 1 week follow-up and she was very pessimistic about my recovery.  She showed me the level 3 wear on the cartlidge under my patella.  I'm back to PT for a month before I can even think about tennis.  I'm also having more pain as the swelling goes down.  I guess that's normal.  My husband had failed to tell me that they did a chrondoplasty along with the cleaning out of loose bodies in the knee.  That makes everything a bit more serious. 

Guess I'll check back in a month and let you know how I'm doing then.  Starting excercises today. 

support