Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PFS - new and confused!!  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Mia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PFS - new and confused!!
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new.  ;D

Unfortunately, it seems that my knee problem is not as new as I originally thought. My mother said that when I first started walking, I used to walk with my feet turned in. After my mother took me (as a toddler) to the docs, he diagnosed me with the exact same problem that I apparently have now; the muscle of one leg was stronger than the other, causing my feet to turn inwards. When I was 17 and I used to cycle to work, my left knee used to click as I bent it. Also when I was about 15, I had what I thought was a bout of cramp after sitting with my knee at a 90degree angle in a car for an extended period of time.

Then when I was about 19/20, after suffering from left knee pain during the usual (fast walking, crouching, squatting, kneeling, walking up and down stairs, etc.), I went to see my GP. 3-4 years later, they have diagnosed me with PFS. Due to the fact that physiotherapy in Oxfordshire is (and I quote!) 'absolutely terrible', my GP referred me to the Knee Guru website for information and physiotherapy exercises. But there are so many different ones on the website, some of which I look at the pictures for and cringe at the thought of the pain it would cause me....!!!

As PFS seems to be quite prevelant, I was wondering if anyone could suggest where I might be able to find some diagrams to guide me through some useful physio exercises... it's either that or I guess I'll have to go private....  :-\

I have been browsing the archives also and I saw suggestions that PFS sufferers benefit from having their knee 'taped.' Being a n00b when it comes to knee exercises and physio (despite my long-term pain sufferage), I was also wondering if anyone could explain what this would entail... is it just a simple case of putting sticky tape on my knee-cap??

I was also considering taking up swimming or Aqua Aerobics in the hope that it may help.... I have heard from somewhere that low impact exercise is good for it....

Please help me, I'd be most grateful for any information that I could use.

Thanks all,

~Mia

Offline dwrucke

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: PFS - new and confused!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:41:41 PM »
I know that for me the water exercises were less stressful on my knee than the other ones that were prescribed. As far as the taping, you'll want to have a therapist or a doctor do it for you the first few times and show you how its done. Mine was an elastic like tape, that still allowed me to flex my knee. Best of luck to you
1992- Ligament surgery
2002- Lateral Release
2007- Lateral Release, Chondroplasty, Meniscus repair

Offline april

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
Hi Mia,

Taping is when they put a special kind of tape on your knee to keep you kneecap tracking correctly. I use Leukotape, which is really 2 types of tape: there's a gauze-like cover roll that goes on first, that allows the skin to breathe better, then a rigid strapping tape which does most of the holding. Yes you should see a physio to have this done, because only somebody there can tell you what exactly needs to be corrected in your case, but after that it's not too complicated to do it yourself. Most commonly, with PFS the kneecap gets pulled laterally (towards the outside of the knee), so the tape is supposed to counteract that. This taping helped me a lot. There are some diagrams on how to do it on this website, as well as lots of other info on patellofemoral pain http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/24c.htm

Offline Mia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:31:47 PM »
Mucho gracias for the info and the suggestions..... and for answering some of my more stupid questions....

Will definitely have a look at the website.

Thanks again, guys!!!

~Mia