Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Upcoming surgery..................  (Read 12982 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Upcoming surgery..................
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:37:52 AM »
I've finally got a date for my surgery - Oct. 24th.  I have several questions for everyone.

I will be having a very large tear in my medial menisus probably trimmed, I would guess.  He is doing it through a scope so that shouldn't be a big deal.  But, I have a very large ganglion cyst on the laterial tibial joint line in which he will be removing the cyst.  Both are on my left knee. As I understand thus far this is more serious.  The os will be making an incision to open the area up to remove and untangle the cyst and its "fingers."  The os has said twice and the pa and pt the cyst recovery will be the difficult part. 

I will admit I've not been brave enough to ask why.  Any idea's?  Is it because they will be around nerves with the cyst removal? I'm naturally starting to get nervous.  But then I realize that I can't handle this pain forever and it has to be done.  Two other os's have tried constant pt for 8 months thinking the cyst would rupture and its only growing.  It has been drained 2x's.  I know its the right time to do it, just want it over with.

So any idea's or thoughts on this?  I'm seeing the os again soon and want to have my questions lined up.  Last time I seemed to forget half of what I needed to ask.   Thanks everyone.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
Re: Upcoming surgery..................
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:35:52 AM »
No real advice for you just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery

make a list of your ?s to take with you when you see the os that way you will get all your ?s answered it is easy to forget them when you are there or can you take someone with you to make sure that you get them answered and that you understand all that you are hearing

let us know how you come out

hugs to you

caren

Caren

Offline Dani0009

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 09:08:26 PM »
eaglemom,

Just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery.  My best guess for the difficulties with the gangion cyst is due to whatever it is that they have to cut through to get to it (muscle, nerves, etc) and how invasive it will be (he will probably have to do some digging to get to the whole thing).  But, definitely ask him about it!

-Dani
3/1999 - LR - R knee
6/2000 - TTT - R Knee
8/2001 - Hardware Removal - R Knee
1/2005 - Partial Quad Tendon Tear - R Knee
2/2007 - Partial ACL Tear - R Knee
6/2007 - PT and Custom Donjoy

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »
Sorry can't offer advice either, but common sense says that it will take a long time for them to remove that cyst, so that makes it a fairly major surgery. Because they will be working round many different structures, there will be lots of different bits of you complaining, there is also a bigger incision to cope with. All this means that your body will be calling on a lot of reserves to recover.

Best of luck with the surgery, you know that this is the first step to a better quality of life, it's a battle worth fighting.

Denny
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy